Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,763,649 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting. I think it is a comforting verse.

Some new Kindle data, which Amazon released this week to The Atlantic (hat-tip to Olga Khazan), reveals the most highlighted passages in the most popular ebooks. There are quotes from The Hunger Games, Pride and Prejudice, and all seven Harry Potters, and it’s very cool to get a sense of the words from those books that meant something to many readers. What’s especially interesting is that the list includes a short passage from the Bible, and that it’s about anxiety:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

It's a passage that offers words of comfort for the religious. And for those people who are highlighting that passage, there’s kind of an extra layer of comfort to think about how many other people connected to those words. It's a small reminder that you're not alone.

The Most Popular Bible Passage Is About Anxiety -- Science of Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post

Some new Kindle data, which Amazon released this week to The Atlantic (hat-tip to Olga Khazan), reveals the most highlighted passages in the most popular ebooks. There are quotes from The Hunger Games, Pride and Prejudice, and all seven Harry Potters, and it’s very cool to get a sense of the words from those books that meant something to many readers. What’s especially interesting is that the list includes a short passage from the Bible, and that it’s about anxiety:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

It's a passage that offers words of comfort for the religious. And for those people who are highlighting that passage, there’s kind of an extra layer of comfort to think about how many other people connected to those words. It's a small reminder that you're not alone.

Anxiety is a medical term for fear
A word that comes up a lot in kjv

Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 12,058 times
I didn't have fear - Until I met other people with fear. Hmmm...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 PM

15 posts, read 12,058 times
Oh, and I still don't. I just have to "blend in". Double Hmmm.....

Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:

That's interesting. The term 'ecurity blanket' (in the Schulzian sense ) tends to spring to mind. While it must be nice and comforting to believe that you will be ok if you got your potato (see 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett) this is a father sad avoidance of uncomfortable reality.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:59 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,089 times
Don't know why this made me think of Alfred E.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...e7028c3ff5.jpg

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:

As I see it, the key to that passage is "with thanksgiving". There is something about the process of looking for the things one has to be grateful for, either within the situation itself or, if that's too difficult, just in general, that contributes to a sense of peace and comfort ... in my experience.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times
Quote:

When I was going through separation and then divorce I took great comfort in this passage:

Philippians 4:6-7 Do not worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with
thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, (7) and the peace of God, that is superior to
every frame of mind, shall be garrisoning your hearts and your apprehensions in Christ Jesus."

I made a large blackboard and nailed it to my wall, above my desk and wrote that passage out.

What really hit me one day was "with thanksgiving." It is one thing to pray and petition God for things needed but quite another to do it all "with thanksgiving." So I began to thank him for all His many blessings including the separation and possible divorce. Why thank someone if they have not given you something? So I perceived that this experience too is of God for my maturing process. Such thankfulness took the sting out of it all. And, according to the passage, it really did garrison my heart and my apprehensions like an army. It protected my heart from fear. Looking back (the divorce occurred around 20 years ago) I see it truly was for the best.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,447,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
When I was going through separation and then divorce I took great comfort in this passage:

Philippians 4:6-7 Do not worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with
thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, (7) and the peace of God, that is superior to
every frame of mind, shall be garrisoning your hearts and your apprehensions in Christ Jesus."

I made a large blackboard and nailed it to my wall, above my desk and wrote that passage out.

What really hit me one day was "with thanksgiving." It is one thing to pray and petition God for things needed but quite another to do it all "with thanksgiving." So I began to thank him for all His many blessings including the separation and possible divorce. Why thank someone if they have not given you something? So I perceived that this experience too is of God for my maturing process. Such thankfulness took the sting out of it all. And, according to the passage, it really did garrison my heart and my apprehensions like an army. It protected my heart from fear. Looking back (the divorce occurred around 20 years ago) I see it truly was for the best.
Yes, many just want something as though God must give them something. We have to have a genuine appreciation for it and be thankful and that also involves both mental and physical activity.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,763,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

I think it is very important to be thankful. When I pray/talk to God I always say thank you. Even when I am going through a really hard time, I still am appreciative. Even if God does nothing, knowing you are not alone is comforting, and that is something to be thankful for as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality