Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,568,470 times

Advertisements

[quote=Vacationmacation;37452763]
Quote:

There are no historical or scientific evidence of Buddha's existence. Even if
he did exist, he did nothing special for people to follow him, and was isolated
in his home surrounded by good things only and did not see the actual world, nor
did he help people in need unlike Jesus Christ. Buddha was jealous as well, and
rejected God.
Right back at you. There is no scientific evidence of Jesus proving that he did indeed exist. Mere anecdotal tales of biased beings who make a claim. No physical evidence at all.

Quote:
Jesus did not copy anything from Buddhism as they lived far away. He was a great
person himself.
This Jesus of yours (a common name in the time period by the way) did not copy anything from anyone. He did not exist, at least as you portray him. All of these stories came to light a century after his alleged death, put forth by those profiting from the stories.

Quote:
Don't bring any other religion/beliefs to this thread

So now you are the overseer of these threads, deciding what can and cannot be posted? Typical of one like you, cannot stand to be challenged or corrected let alone doubted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,859,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because "peace" is only part of the message. The basic message of Christ is not to be a good and peaceful person. It's about humanity being separated from God and believing there is a way to get back to God.

As others have pointed out, morality and kindness to others and a desire for peace is not exclusive to Christianity. Neither, actually, is the message of becoming closer to God, but other belief systems that aspire to reach a higher spiritual level use different words and descriptions for 'god'.

Good post! ... And folks on R&S thought they could bash Christianity without any rational or reasonable, truth-based rebuttal! - I'm usually on the Christian forum, but, noticed this thread and wondered what went on 'out here.' Good for you!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:45 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,955,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Yes it is true, I can't speak to religious articles because they are biased but I can certainly speak from experience and what's happening around me here is the good 'ol US of A and people most certainly are leaving christianity as is the case with me and others who used to be christians.

If I were you I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in CNN's reporting of such things....it's wishful thinking on their part and they are known for being biased.

The more those other nations become educated the more christianity will decline. Might as well get used to it. It's not the end of the world....actually it's the beginning of enlightenment and a better world without religion.

Where's your proof, just someone saying it around you is pretty lame statistics, I bet if CNN announced it as Christianity was on the decline you would be all for it.

Hey NorthSouth, you best be enlightened but even if all religion were to go away God will still be there at the judgement day, don't forget there were only 8 after the flood.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:03 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,645,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post

There are no historical or scientific evidence of Buddha's existence.
You are in error. There is a vast amount of historical evidence of Buddha, arguably much more than there is for the existence of Jesus.

Quote:
Even if he did exist, he did nothing special for people to follow him, and was isolated in his home surrounded by good things only and did not see the actual world, nor did he help people in need unlike Jesus Christ.
Did nothing special for people to follow him? Tell that to the 350 million Buddhists on this planet.

Quote:
Buddha was jealous as well, and rejected God.
Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Jesus did not copy anything from Buddhism as they lived far away.
So what? You don't live in the Middle East, do you? Yet your life is influenced by the teachings of a man who lived most of his life there.

Whether jesus actually copied the teachings of Buddha word for word, there is no serious question that his own teachings were influenced and informed by the teachings of Buddha. I say it again, he rarely had an original thought in his life - almost his entire philosophy was a rehash and repackaging of what Buddha taught 6 centuries before he was even born.

Quote:
Don't bring any other religion/beliefs to this thread, or proselytise.
Proselytising is precisely what you started this thread to do, isn't it? Once you start that discussion, as long as I stay within the TOS and the posting guidelines I'm free to bring up anything I like to counter your argument. If you just want to have a discussion with yourself, don't have it in a public forum.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,806,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Where's your proof, just someone saying it around you is pretty lame statistics, I bet if CNN announced it as Christianity was on the decline you would be all for it.

Hey NorthSouth, you best be enlightened but even if all religion were to go away God will still be there at the judgement day, don't forget there were only 8 after the flood.
There's plenty of unbiased "proof" if you just google it like this:

Atheists have their number: How the Christian right is hastening religion’s decline - Salon.com

Hey Perry, you best be enlightened that christianity is in fact declining, it's just your unwillingness to accept that fact that keeps you on your high horse. I don't believe in a god and I don't for one second believe there is one sitting around wringing his hands waiting to "judge" me and those like me. Your flood argument is moot since there is no evidence (none) that it even happened. Why can't you people just accept reality?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM

34 posts, read 23,269 times
Quote:

And with this simple sentence, the OP answers their own question as posed in the thread title, just not in a way the OP is aware of.......

Old 11-29-2014, 10:36 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Why aren't more people Christians and follow Christ?

Speaking for myself -- because Christianity didn't make sense. It didn't feel true.

Other paths beckoned and I'm glad I took them.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because "peace" is only part of the message. The basic message of Christ is not to be a good and peaceful person. It's about humanity being separated from God and believing there is a way to get back to God.

As others have pointed out, morality and kindness to others and a desire for peace is not exclusive to Christianity. Neither, actually, is the message of becoming closer to God, but other belief systems that aspire to reach a higher spiritual level use different words and descriptions for God.
You may have nailed it. Peace and kindness does not need membership of any one religion. It is possible also to believe in God and be irreligious, because the way to become One with God can be achieved through many religions. The Christian religion requires people to believe doctrinal claims that they do not find credible.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,955,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
There's plenty of unbiased "proof" if you just google it like this:

Atheists have their number: How the Christian right is hastening religion’s decline - Salon.com

Hey Perry, you best be enlightened that christianity is in fact declining, it's just your unwillingness to accept that fact that keeps you on your high horse. I don't believe in a god and I don't for one second believe there is one sitting around wringing his hands waiting to "judge" me and those like me. Your flood argument is moot since there is no evidence (none) that it even happened. Why can't you people just accept reality?
One shall see, one shall see, the time is coming. Death is like a thief in the night.

Last edited by perry335654; 11-29-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,234,555 times
Quote:

Why not? The most Christ-like person I know is a Pagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality