Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
One shall see, one shall see, the time is coming. Death is like a thief in the night.
This was so important to you that you edited to add it.
You realize it's a pretty senseless saying don't you?
Well, no, I suppose you don't, but it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 AM

7,597 posts, read 6,094,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post

Why don't people want to follow a man who had a peaceful message? Does it mean not all people want and like peace? Perhaps that's why there is war, murdering, greed, racism, etc. taking place in many parts of the world today.
Because this man's followers are not generally peaceful or loving people. When choosing a religion, the best example is not what is taught, but what is practiced. The EXAMPLE that one sets is far greater than any spoken words or claims. SO when people like myself see that certain religious followers are those who wallow in fear, ignorance and hatred, what inspiration do we have to want to follow them ?

A perfect example is a guy I more or less grew up with. Nice guy, Christian, loved people, loved life. Then he converted to a Baptist church (not sure if that is Christian or not) Now he is the most fearful and hateful person around. Judgmental, elitist and no fun to be around. Clearly, his religion did something bad to his mind, and I would want no part of it, seeing what it did to him.
Why in the name of Set would I want to be like that ?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:09 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Why in the name of Set would I want to be like that ?
Because you would rather be like Bast ... with lots of sexy kitties.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,800,082 times
Quote:
One shall see, one shall see, the time is coming. Death is like a thief in the night.
Well now there's a real informed and substantial response....not. I see you have no rebuttal so I guess that means that I win. I can see you sitting in front of your computer delighting in your belief that us atheists are going to burn in your imagined hell forever. Bet that thought makes you real happy. Typical.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,924 times
Quote:
Hey NorthSouth, you best be enlightened but even if all religion were to go away God will still be there at the judgement day, don't forget there were only 8 after the flood.
This is precisely WHY the world will be more enlightened without religion.

Thanks for being a living, breathing example - it saved me a heap of typing and made Christianity look like an elitist club for immoral people who get their kicks thinking about people being tortured for all eternity.

Judgment day ... LOL!

I'm amazed, truly amazed, that people not only drink the kool-aid, they bathe in it.

You've been bamboozled by a cult - because cults are the organizations that believe only THEY will reach paradise and everyone else will burn. Only cults believe that their god is going to be a cosmic bouncer ready to eject people who didn't join up and drink the yummy kool-aid.

Yeah, I know. You're gonna deny it. "Nuh uh! That's not what I said!"

Except it is what you said.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,678,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The most Christ-like person I know is a Pagan.
Same here....

I'm quite amused with the tango between Bhudda and Christ.
The Awakened One vs The Annointed One.

Any human can sit down and seriously think about human relations and interactions with fellow humans and determine what is the most honorable, respectful and kind action and attitude to have.
It is not rocket science and it does not require being in kahoots with the divine.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:26 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well now there's a real informed and substantial response....not. I see you have no rebuttal so I guess that means that I win. I can see you sitting in front of your computer delighting in your belief that us atheists are going to burn in your imagined hell forever. Bet that thought makes you real happy. Typical.
No, I do not delight, but I was right about one being getting defensive.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:27 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
This is precisely WHY the world will be more enlightened without religion.

Thanks for being a living, breathing example - it saved me a heap of typing and made Christianity look like an elitist club for immoral people who get their kicks thinking about people being tortured for all eternity.

Judgment day ... LOL!

I'm amazed, truly amazed, that people not only drink the kool-aid, they bathe in it.

You've been bamboozled by a cult - because cults are the organizations that believe only THEY will reach paradise and everyone else will burn. Only cults believe that their god is going to be a cosmic bouncer ready to eject people who didn't join up and drink the yummy kool-aid.

Yeah, I know. You're gonna deny it. "Nuh uh! That's not what I said!"

Except it is what you said.

You ought to take all that hyperbole of drama to Hollywood.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
She's talented isn't she? Writing is fiercely competitive in the entertainment industry but I'd put her in the writer's room in a nano-second.

BTW: Her writing is descriptive and reflects her keen powers of observation. Her writing is not full of hyperbole. Big difference.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:34 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
Quote:

Conjures up an image of some guy on a street corner yelling
"REPENT, SINNERS!! THE END IS NEAR!!

Or even here on C_D.......
" God will still be there at the judgement day, don't forget there were only 8 after the flood. "
"One shall see, one shall see, the time is coming.Death is like a thief in the night.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality