Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times

Advertisements

How did we go from "Is the Devil suffering or not?" to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why don't atheists leave it alone? The search for the origin of the universe? Because it's fascinating!

Or did you mean "why don't atheists leave alone the fact that Christians insist God must have created the universe?" Well, I assume (I don't know every atheist on the planet) because it puzzles them that anyone would stop at something unprovable; IOW, that anyone would be happy to not actually want to know. People (of any, or no, religious affiliation) are curious. Many of us want to know about origins and are fascinated about them. Being asked to stop dead at "God did it" is like refusing to unwrap a present.

Be grateful for that godlessly science-curious faction. They brought you penicillin, chemotherapy and that keyboard you're typing on.
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:48 PM

360 posts, read 234,214 times
Quote:
Why don't atheists leave it alone? The search for the origin of the universe? Because it's fascinating!

Or did you mean "why don't atheists leave alone the fact that Christians insist God must have created the universe?" Well, I assume (I don't know every atheist on the planet) because it puzzles them that anyone would stop at something unprovable; IOW, that anyone would be happy to not actually want to know. People (of any, or no, religious affiliation) are curious. Many of us want to know about origins and are fascinated about them. Being asked to stop dead at "God did it" is like refusing to unwrap a present.

Be grateful for that godlessly science-curious faction. They brought you penicillin, chemotherapy and that keyboard you're typing on.
Okay, I get it. Atheist need something to do. It is a challenge to prove something can come from nothing. A task that will bore and tantalize at the same time. It's like chasing monkeys around an invisible tree.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl012 View Post
Okay, I get it. Atheist need something to do. It is a challenge to prove something can come from nothing. A task that will bore and tantalize at the same time. It's like chasing monkeys around an invisible tree.
Searching for new science and new information is like chasing a monkey around a tree?

Getting medicine when you're sick and typing what you just typed electronically and being able to drive a car are like chasing a monkey around a tree?

LOTS of people just like to sit around not thinking and questioning. Of those who don't like that, amazing things happen in medicine, science, technology, growth of all sorts.

But you can keep sitting around not thinking and questioning. That's okay. That's what the average person does. A subset of that average population busily pooh-poohs science and technology and what drives people to investigate them...all the while utilizing that technology. That's fine too; not very logical, but fine.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Searching for new science and new information is like chasing a monkey around a tree?

Getting medicine when you're sick and typing what you just typed electronically and being able to drive a car are like chasing a monkey around a tree?

LOTS of people just like to sit around not thinking and questioning. Of those who don't like that, amazing things happen in medicine, science, technology, growth of all sorts.

But you can keep sitting around not thinking and questioning. That's okay. That's what the average person does. A subset of that average population busily pooh-poohs science and technology and what drives people to investigate them...all the while utilizing that technology. That's fine too; not very logical, but fine.
The subject is religion or, if you will, God. Science is not religion, so what are you proposing? If you believe in God you don't believe science? That is nonsense. Everyone knows scientists who believe in God. Just because one believes in God doesn't mean he or she hates or is ignorant of science.

The issue for atheist is disproving God. That is what this discussion is all about. I claim science can't disprove God. Furthermore, I claim science can't explain what caused the universe. If you had read my posting you would agree, science cannot do the impossible.

As I said, it is like chasing monkeys around an invisible tree. God is a supernatural being, science can't comprehend what he it can't see of have evidence of. When science disproves God, a supernatural being, we have a new world. In the meantime, based on personal experiences many believe God exists, and that He created the universe. There is no better explanation.

Last edited by earl012; 12-09-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 PM

Erm...I never said science was religion, nor did I say if you believe in God, you don't believe in science, so what on earth are you going on about?

I feel like you quoted the wrong post or something.

For the record, I didn't bring up science at all. I answered posts that were already bringing up science.

I feel like you just picked up a lot of stuff out of thin air and then randomly chose any post to quote so that you could state them, even though they weren't relevant to the post you were quoting.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Erm...I never said science was religion, nor did I say if you believe in God, you don't believe in science, so what on earth are you going on about?

I feel like you quoted the wrong post or something.

For the record, I didn't bring up science at all. I answered posts that were already bringing up science.

I feel like you just picked up a lot of stuff out of thin air and then randomly chose any post to quote so that you could state them, even though they weren't relevant to the post you were quoting.

Hope you feel better soon.
You stated, "Searching for new science and new information is like chasing a monkey around a tree?" So, naturally I thought you were taking my monkey statement out of context. It was meant to describe scientists wanting to disprove God, or looking for an explanation for something coming from nothing (creation). I understand differences between religion and science. I have made a good living with my science degree.

I would like to keep the topic on disproving God, that is what atheist aspire to do. You know I have a good point. Atheist can't celebrate. They may have science but they have no proven theory for a natural cause explanation for the universe, that's the key to this debate. I've challenged atheist to a debate based on science. So far, all I get are smart remarks. There are scientists like Krauss who have taken on the debate. If you think science can explain the cause for the universe, propose the theory! Then, we can have a scientific debate. I don't think any of you are up to it. Not even atheist scientists can do it. I know I've challenged them. Krauss has ignore my challenges to his pseudo theory about something coming from nothing. He claims he's done it, but that is a lie. Are there any other challengers out there? I doubt it. It can't be done, so scientists lie, distort, or pretend. Where is that theory?

My wife and I are going on a short vacation. I'll check postings when I get back. I assume there will be smart remarks, etc., but no natural science theory. I anticipate no one here will posted such a theory, it's impossible.

God created the universe.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl012 View Post

I would like to keep the topic on disproving God, that is what atheist aspire to do. You know I have a good point.
It's nice that you would like that. However, that was actually never the topic, either. The topic, if you read above, was supposed to be "Is the Devil Suffering or Not?"

If you find OT posts disturbing, you are as free as the rest of us to report them; however, be aware that your remarks as well are significantly off-topic to the original post.

Have a nice vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality