Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

The kid's last name alone would have made my journalistic Spidey Sense tingle.

To be fair though, one confession of fakery shouldn't damn all NDE claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:25 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The kid's last name alone would have made my journalistic Spidey Sense tingle.

To be fair though, one confession of fakery shouldn't damn all NDE claims.
No, because there are plenty of other reasons to damn all NDE claims, but they aren't recognized by those engaged in confirmation bias.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 AM

689 posts, read 549,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I never heard of such a thing before. But it seems to be not uncommon.

William Peters was working as a volunteer in a hospice when he had a strange encounter with a dying man that changed his life.

The man’s name was Ron, and he was a former Merchant Marine who was afflicted with stomach cancer. Peters says he would spend up to three hours a day at Ron’s bedside, talking to and reading adventure stories to him because few family or friends visited.

When Peters plopped by Ron’s beside around lunch one day, the frail man was semi-conscious. Peters read passages from Jack London’s “Call of the Wild” as the frail man struggled to hang on. What happened next, Peters says, was inexplicable.

Peters says he felt a force jerk his spirit upward, out of his body. He floated above Ron’s bedside, looking down at the dying man. Then he glanced next to him to discover Ron floating alongside him, looking at the same scene below.
“He looked at me and he gave me this happy, contented look as if he was telling me, ‘Check this out. Here we are,’ ’’ Peters says.

Peters says he then felt his spirit drop into his body again. The experience was over in a flash. Ron died soon afterward, but Peters’ questions about that day lingered. He didn’t know what to call that moment but he eventually learned that it wasn’t unique. Peters had a “shared-death experience.”

Beyond goodbye

One cannot blame this on the effects of a dying brain.
It is not necessarily be Ron. In that realm anyone can project an image of anyone else. One will be able to see 'ghost' (a projected image by a spirit) when his soul doesn't reside well with his body.

Usually, one's soul doesn't reside well with his body under the circumstance that his health is not so well, or he's born so (i.e., occasionally his soul may not reside well with his body). When one's soul doesn't reside well with his body, an outside spirit can thus establish a communication link with him, say, by projecting an image for him to 'see ghosts'.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No, but I can blame it on a personal subjective experience that reflects his empathy with the dying man and his desire for him to be okay.
You are thus a man with a strong faith (to believe what you proposed here)!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Panic attacks can cause a feeling of being outside the body. It's a common symptom of a panic attack. I've experienced the feeling myself. The first time it happened, I actually thought I was dying.

Thankfully I talked to a doctor about the problem and not a priest.
You need faith (large amount of it) to believe all cases are the same as how you feel them to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality