Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:04 PM

26,797 posts, read 22,584,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Making up your own definitions is not going to change the point I made. Atheism is just the lack of belief in gods. It says nothing whatsoever about enforcing that belief at a political or social level. When you do that you are not talking about atheism any more, you are talking about a political idealogy.
Errr no, these are not MY definitions, these are definitions common in ENGLISH LANGUAGE, which is your native I assume, therefore deal with it))))

Quote:
And states that have done it have done it in order to establish their own state religion, which is also nothing to do with atheism.
Again, per original definition "religion" has anything and everything to do with God ( gods); the kind of meaning YOU are trying to ascribe to the word "religion" is secondary.

Quote:
The attempts to declare a dead man an "eternal leader" who is partially reincarnated in his own son, as we see in North Korea, is a state religion and the opposite of atheism.
No, it does not oppose the atheism. The reason such states remove belief in God ( gods) and become atheist at the first place, is because the government wants to remove "the bigger picture" - i.e. belief in afterlife, heaven and hell, the "ultimate justice" and the rest, since this would make the "dear leader" *subordinate* to the higher being/beings and that's a no-no thing in totalitarian states N. Koren style.

Quote:
And, one notes, not altogether dissimilar to the claims of Christianity (they are only one short of a trinity, and their god impregnated an underage virgin in order to give birth to itself). While in Russia the Tzars were always considered something more than human, they had their own version of miracles, and their owe version of an inquisition. Again, nothing even remotely related to atheism.
Wrong again. Tzarist Russia was deeply religious state, where Christianity was rigorously promoted by church and nobility hand in hand, since religion ( Christianity in this case) was affirming the right of tzars ( and nobility) to the throne. That's the ABCs of conservatism just in case you don't know it))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:26 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,379,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Errr no, these are not MY definitions, these are definitions common in ENGLISH LANGUAGE, which is your native I assume, therefore deal with it))))
I do not have to "deal with" definitions you have merely invented. Not only did you simply cherry pick one definition, you declared it to be the "original" one. All done without citation or support of any kind. So your definitions that you merely invent do not dictate anything, therefore deal with it.

Once again, attacking or even banning religion in an attempt to implement a state religion, or political ideology is NOT "atheism". No amount of assert-repeat redefinition of terms is going to make it so, therefore deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Wrong again.
Nice of you to declare me wrong then repeat essentially what I actually said and agree with it. Do you often disagree with people by entirely agreeing with them? You write it was a "deeply religious state" which is essentially EXACTLY what I wrote when I said "the Tzars were always considered something more than human, they had their own version of miracles, and their owe version of an inquisition. Again, nothing even remotely related to atheism."

You are so falling over yourself to look like you are disagreeing with me, that you are happily making my points for me. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality