Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 01:26 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,512,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Are mortal minds so small that they cannot comprehend Gods power? Its as easy as 1+1 to God to preserve his truths. The teachings of Jesus are the same in every translation.
Is your apparently immortal mind so big and cumbersome that it can't comprehend the actual thing under discussion? Which is that words written by essentially anonymous authors generations after the events are not the words of Jesus ... they are the words someone is attributing to Jesus. THAT is the point.

The authorship of various NT books are attributions of tradition or internal claims. Textual analysis has contradicted many of those claims. We simply don't know for sure who wrote them but what we DO know for sure is that no one claims Jesus wrote a single one.

I actually agree with folks like you that the textual pedigree of scripture is such that if we actually do clap our hands onto a 1st century manuscript I doubt it will be substantively different from the current older manuscripts and is not likely to undermine orthodox teachings therefrom. Not unless we find an early draft that didn't make it through the church councils, that has, say, distinct gnostic leanings or divergent narratives to it. If THAT happened, hilarity would ensure, I assure you.

But the actual point here is that we don't have "the words of Jesus". We have more of the words of Hitler than of Jesus, because Hitler actually personally authored a rather thick book, and other documents. There is no "Gospel of Jesus". Only four gospels traditionally attributed to Matthew, Mark, and John, with one itself claiming to be authored by Luke who some assume is Luke the Physician. Considering how consequential and extraordinary the claims of the gospels are, it is scant evidence of veracity.

You are of course correct that an omnipotent god would have zero difficulty preserving manuscripts but then again he would also have zero difficulty transmitting such important data by even better means. He could have installed it, and the correct understanding of it, in everyone's brain so that everyone, by your lights, would be a JW today. But he's indifferent (despite being omnibenevolent) to the fact that for all of human history to date, 98% of us or more have burned in hell because we don't have YOUR understanding of scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
LMAO! Priceless! You believe that a book, edited in the 17th century from 16th century translations of 8000 contradictory copies of 4th century documents that claim to be copies of lost letters that were written in the 1st century...is the 'Word of God'
LOL

Too soon

Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
Quote:
LMAO! Priceless! You believe that a book, edited in the 17th century from 16th century translations of 8000 contradictory copies of 4th century documents that claim to be copies of lost letters that were written in the 1st century...is the 'Word of God'
but of course...every last comma...

Old 11-30-2016, 10:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,352,806 times
Quote:
Actually God preserved all of Jesus' teachings in his written word. Where as some go through life thinking bad thoughts about God--He did exactly what was needed. Few trust him because they do not know him, false teachers and false reasoning' get in the way, but what can one expect in a world ruled by satan? He has 99% blinded-2Cor 4:4
Did God tell you so Himself? Or did you just decide that it is so because the idea appeals to you?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,869,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There are plenty of first-century records.
Then you'll have no trouble presenting them will you.

Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about concerning Christianity,
and I pity your ignorance. Being "Jewish" isn't going to help you in the end.
I'm not Jewish.

Quote:
Not only do I think it, I know 100% for sure it is--
You don't 'know'. You 'believe'.

Quote:
Have you missed revelation passing before the worlds eyes for years now--its getting very near its completion. Written over 1900 years ago.
LOL! Your crowd have been saying that for the past 2000 years.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,922,806 times
Quote:
Then you'll have no trouble presenting them will you.

I'm not Jewish.

You don't 'know'. You 'believe'.

LOL! Your crowd have been saying that for the past 2000 years.

Except now the 7 headed beast and 2 horned beast have been there for years now.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Did God tell you so Himself? Or did you just decide that it is so because the idea appeals to you?

I just look at the world--it is very sick--in the heart.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Is your apparently immortal mind so big and cumbersome that it can't comprehend the actual thing under discussion? Which is that words written by essentially anonymous authors generations after the events are not the words of Jesus ... they are the words someone is attributing to Jesus. THAT is the point.

The authorship of various NT books are attributions of tradition or internal claims. Textual analysis has contradicted many of those claims. We simply don't know for sure who wrote them but what we DO know for sure is that no one claims Jesus wrote a single one.

I actually agree with folks like you that the textual pedigree of scripture is such that if we actually do clap our hands onto a 1st century manuscript I doubt it will be substantively different from the current older manuscripts and is not likely to undermine orthodox teachings therefrom. Not unless we find an early draft that didn't make it through the church councils, that has, say, distinct gnostic leanings or divergent narratives to it. If THAT happened, hilarity would ensure, I assure you.

But the actual point here is that we don't have "the words of Jesus". We have more of the words of Hitler than of Jesus, because Hitler actually personally authored a rather thick book, and other documents. There is no "Gospel of Jesus". Only four gospels traditionally attributed to Matthew, Mark, and John, with one itself claiming to be authored by Luke who some assume is Luke the Physician. Considering how consequential and extraordinary the claims of the gospels are, it is scant evidence of veracity.

You are of course correct that an omnipotent god would have zero difficulty preserving manuscripts but then again he would also have zero difficulty transmitting such important data by even better means. He could have installed it, and the correct understanding of it, in everyone's brain so that everyone, by your lights, would be a JW today. But he's indifferent (despite being omnibenevolent) to the fact that for all of human history to date, 98% of us or more have burned in hell because we don't have YOUR understanding of scripture.

There is no hell-- get with reality--Hebrew=Sheol=Greek= Hades--both translate--the grave-- Hades= hell.
God set before all-Deut 30:19--life or death--nothing else. Gods real teachers teach just that. The false teachers who do not know God teach--eternal suffering. It was symbolism in the NT of the value of what each one cast into the lake of fire lost as each new day dawns in Gods kingdom.
God assures--he inspired the men who wrote the books in the bible.
Yes every true follower on earth is a JW. They always have been.( Isaiah 43:10, 44:8) Jesus is the #1 Witness of Jehovah. Rev 1:5)

Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
IT has nothing to do with what your God might or might not be ABLE to do. It is all about what evidence there is that He DID any such thing! The evidence is legion that He did NOT .

The problem in your thinking is--- God requires--FAITH. Not evidence.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:12 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,512,341 times
Quote:
There is no hell-- get with reality--Hebrew=Sheol=Greek= Hades--both translate--the grave-- Hades= hell.
God set before all-Deut 30:19--life or death--nothing else. Gods real teachers teach just that. The false teachers who do not know God teach--eternal suffering. It was symbolism in the NT of the value of what each one cast into the lake of fire lost as each new day dawns in Gods kingdom.
God assures--he inspired the men who wrote the books in the bible.
Yes every true follower on earth is a JW. They always have been.( Isaiah 43:10, 44:8) Jesus is the #1 Witness of Jehovah. Rev 1:5)
I agree there is no hell and forgive me for forgetting that JWs believe in annihilation rather than hell. I can scarcely keep the dogmas and counter-dogmas of various groups straight sometimes. But you didn't address the main point concerning whether or not it can reasonably be said we have "the words of Jesus". I guess others can speculate about why you studiously ignore that line of reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality