Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,911,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
you know the funny thing is we never had any crime, disrespect,or hatred for one another until Christianity came along and told us that we were nothing but savages
It looks like the Native Americans had a few disagreements. Here is a story about the Battle of Blood Mountain.

The Blood Mountain story

Note this part of the story:

When the Cherokee came south, they discovered the Creek Nation already entrenched in the mountains. Desiring the land for their habitation, the Cherokee waged a great battle against the Creeks at Slaughter Gap. It is said that the streams ran red with blood from those killed as these two Native American tribes fought for dominance of the land.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:32 AM

68,379 posts, read 54,619,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Humanity is a hard thing to overcome. The majority of society at least in the US is also overweight and completely undisciplined. Society makes it easy for people to be this way.

If we changed society to reflect our values, then people would be more inclined to do the right thing.
Actions speak louder than words, society already reflects our values, whether we care to admit it or not.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 AM

20,197 posts, read 13,622,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Actions speak louder than words, society already reflects our values, whether we care to admit it or not.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I daresay that most people who feel society does not reflect THEIR values, are not willing to be inconvenienced to so much as smite their breast in protest against it. That is why political protests are often organized in such a way as to disrupt everyday activities, like shopping or eating out or attending events or driving one's car someplace. As long as people go about their lives as consumers, they are comfortably insulated from the outrages they claim not to approve of. As long as people can get the things they want, they don't particularly care in some action-inspiring fashion that some other people can't get the things THEY want.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:31 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,378,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Contrary to the story lines of some recent novels like the sublime American Gods, I agree that a real god would not be dependent upon the belief of its followers for strength and relevance, and would do its thing quite independently of other actors.

But isn't it strange, then, that the Bible talks about a "jealous" god who "desires" our worship. And isn't it odd that nearly every religion considers such groveling fealty to be obligatory, and the absence of it to be blasphemous? And demands it be given without any actual real world contact, but only on third-hand accounts?

I have no issue with the sort of god you are talking about. It can present itself to me anytime it wants so long as it does so in shared reality with others who can validate the god's existence along with me. It is about time for this to happen, now, in this era where everyone carries a cell phone or video camera with them. God could be holding court on YouTube tonight. I encourage him to go for it. Open his own Twitter account.

Wait, he has: https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod
You've got it backwards.

An idol needs to be built and maintained by followers.

A god by definition is immortal.

Oh, whoops, misread the first line.

Anyone can talk to God.

iGod | Artificial Intelligence Chat with God

Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM

50,111 posts, read 20,869,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You've got it backwards.

An idol needs to be built and maintained by followers.

A god by definition is immortal.

Oh, whoops, misread the first line.

Anyone can talk to God.

iGod | Artificial Intelligence Chat with God
Yes, but then by Mordan't argument, that means that the god of the Bible is built and maintained by its followers.

There may be a god that is immortal as per the (human )definition, but the one in the Bible is not it.

And those whoa re talking to god are quite clearly talking to themselves. This can be proven because this god's views and wishes coincide exactly with the opinions and convictions of the person foisting them on us, even when they change their minds about what Giod says.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 15,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Honestly, I couldn't even bring myself to read the majority of your post. It's far too pretentious as you're far too intelligent to listen to anyone but yourself.

You've probably never done any physical labor in your entire life. I doubt you really have any idea how to relate to the common person because you've never been one.

Additionally, you're putting words in my mouth. Apparently, you're unfamiliar with the words of Jesus Christ, yet you feel compelled to act as if you speak for him and all Christians, which is ironic, because you have no idea what he actually said.

Perhaps, you should familiarize yourself with his words, so you at least know where I'm coming from before you respond in such a bigoted and ignorant manner.

Maybe you could point out where Jesus talked about enslaving people or murdering "native" Americans.

He doesn't say that, does he?

You also appear to be totally ignorant about economic development which requires child labor for economies to transfer out of a low levels of economic development into increasingly higher levels until technology really starts to replace labor capital. Maybe you hate the impoverished people of other countries and you don't want them to succeed because there is only so much pie to go around and you've been a fat cat for so long, you couldn't imagine giving up some of your pie.

Also, if you would do some research you would find out that these "native" Americans went to war with one another, just as many other tribal societies throughout history have been at war with one another before, if ever, finding solidarity.

Why should I expect more? We live in a society of entitlement. People think they know everything about everything. They believe they are omnipotent and are so arrogant that they could never believe that there is something actually above them that holds power over them.

It is what it is. You're a product of society.

You elucidate my point. You can say whatever you want to say, but I see what I see and my eyes don't lie.
wait did jesus talk about murdering native americans if the middle east had no contact with the americas?

sorry, i have never read the bible so please enlighten me

Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 15,991 times
i am a muslim living in america.

yes, there is a community here. but in everyday life, religion normally isn't a common bond

and i certainly am surviving just fine.

and you think hatred towards me is caused by the absence of christians?

but i must say, you sound like a perfect product of american media. a carbon copy of what here, you are expected to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality