Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:18 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You usually are, old son.
Well, at least I'm always right about being wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
My faith in God is not a thing/religion but a person.
It is clear that many her are obsessed with religious ideologies but there is a significant difference between the Judeo-Christian God and any other god men invent.
Though men have tried to re-invent christianity and God, all the time.
Roots of Christianity are hebrew like it or not. Jesus is a result of a promise made to Abraham . "God with us"= Is Jesus.
The deal struck between Abraham and God is represented in "that covenant offering."Genesis 15;17,
If you know scripture you know how JESUS FITS.
If you receive the Hoy Spirit Jesus provides His believers, you have the tutelage God intended with man.
Something the world cannot receive nor understand.
Jesus said so.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:40 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It is clear that many her are obsessed with religious ideologies but there is a significant difference between the Judeo-Christian God and any other god men invent.
Roots of Christianity are hebrew like it or not. Jesus is a result of a promise made to Abraham . "God with us"= Is Jesus.
The deal struck between Abraham and God is represented in "that covenant offering."Genesis 15;17,
If you receive the Hoy Spirit Jesus provides His believers, you have the tutelage God intended with man.
Jesus said so.
Many of us were also endowed with this so called holy spirit. Turns out IT was just as made up as the god we thought we "served".

I am sure your voice in your head speaks with an American accent just like mine spoke with a Brit colonial accent. This is b/c the voice in your head is actually your own thoughts.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Eusebius,

It's clear that evidence IS important for your faith, unlike your earlier assertion that faith is enough all by itself.

If faith is enough without evidence, why the appeal to fulfilled prophesy?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:13 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Actually, the virgin prophecy was concerning Christ. No one was called Immanuel until Christ.
Isa 7:14 "Wherefore, Yahweh Himself will give a sign to you: Behold! the damsel shall be pregnant and bear a son, and you call his name Emmanu-El."
The "you" in "sign to you" is plural. It is spoken to the House of David, made up of a plurality of inhabitants. Christ came from the House of David. He was born of a virgin. A "sign" is a great supernatural event. It is not an ordinary event.
The Hebrew for "almah" is taken to mean "maiden." However, the Septuagint (LXX) translated "almah" as "parthenos" or "virgin." So the Hebrew translators knew "almah" in this verse should be taken as "virgin." That was translated around 200 years before Christ.
Literally everyone was called a god, they (Iron age Greeks) even went as far as to find a "historical" Zeus, and a "historical" Jesus. Caesar was called a god. El, the Canaanite Father God, had various manifestations on Earth. And many people were called Emmanuel in Canaan.

Quote:
The setting is the Syro-Ephraimite War, 734 BC, which saw Judah pitted against two northern neighbours, Israel (called Ephraim in the prophecy) and Syria (also known as Aram or Aram-Damascus or Syria-Damascus). Isaiah 7:1–2 tells how the kings of Ephraim and Syria attack Jerusalem when Ahaz refuses to join them in their anti-Assyrian alliance. Ahaz wishes to ask Assyria for help, but Isaiah, at God's command, takes his son Shear-jashub (a symbolic name meaning "a remnant shall return") and assures Ahaz that the two enemy kings will not succeed (Isaiah 7:3–9). Isaiah tells Ahaz of the sign by which he will know that this is a true prophecy: a young woman will give birth to a child whom she will name Immanuel (another symbolic name, meaning "God is with us"), and the lands of the enemy will be laid waste before the child is old enough to "reject the wrong and choose the right" (Isaiah 7:13–16). Isaiah 7:17 follows with a further prophecy that at some unspecified future date God will call up Assyria against Judah: "The Lord will cause to come upon you and your people and your ancestral house such days as have not been seen since Ephraim broke away from Judah—the king of Assyria" (verse 7:17). Verses 18–25 describe the desolation that will result: "In that day a man will save alive a young cow and two sheep…in that day every place where there used to be a thousand vines…will be turned over to thorns and briars" (verses 21–23).[1] Isaiah 8:1–15 continues the previous chapter: the prophet tells of the birth of another child, his own son named Maher-shalal-hash-baz (yet another symbolic name), then predicts that after Ephraim and Syria are destroyed the Assyrians will come like a river in flood to "cover the breadth of your land, Immanuel" (Isaiah 8:8).[2]

Old 01-09-2015, 03:16 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus said so.
I thought the deal made with Abraham was that his descendants (perhaps only through Isaac) would be numerous and would triumph over all of their enemies, if he only would bisect baby animals as a sacrifice. The prove of deserving such a "destined" gift was that he was willing to kill his own beloved son Issac (originally a miracle from God) as God commanded [I think in Muslim stories he was about the kill Ishmael his non-miracle son, and God stopped Abraham so that Arabs could exist as descendants of Ishmael: literally, "El has listened"]. Something that the Aztecs and Polytheists were willing to do as well was sacrificing their own children. The point of the Jewish god being more acceptable was that he latter made human sacrifice illegal. But, as we are aware in our hearts, the Celestial Buddha has perfected the Law.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-09-2015 at 03:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
It is most probably an invention since it fits too neatly into Matthew's 'Jesus as the new Moses' meme.

But it is entirely within Herod's style to have done it. He would likely have had it done covertly and not connectable to him. Remember that virtually all we know about Herod's activities are from Josephus, who used Roman records as his sources and wrote many decades after the events. If it did happen, it is unlikely that it would have been recorded as something Herod did because it would have been done in secret. Herod already had enough trouble with insurrections. This would have been beyond the pale. (*)

On the other hand if it was so secret, how would Matthew know about it?

(*) Without looking it up does anyone know what 'the pale' is?
Missed that. I believe the 'Pale' was a sort of wooden fence (palings) ghetto imposed by the Russians in 19th c Ukraine. For Jews I believe. Sorry to go off -topic, but we have been for two pages with putting down the 'prophecy' claim.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:32 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Missed that. I believe the 'Pale' was a sort of wooden fence (palings) ghetto imposed by the Russians in 19th c Ukraine. For Jews I believe. Sorry to go off -topic, but we have been for two pages with putting down the 'prophecy' claim.
The Pale in Tsarist Russia was a place where Jews were allowed to live. But that is not the Pale in 'beyond the Pale'. That Pale was the section on the east coast of Ireland under English rule in the middle ages. Beyond the Pale meant outside the law or outside acceptability. The word Pale derives from sharpened wooden stakes (as in impalement) placed around a secure area to discourage attacks.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Eusebius,

It's clear that evidence IS important for your faith, unlike your earlier assertion that faith is enough all by itself.

If faith is enough without evidence, why the appeal to fulfilled prophesy?
The New Testament is filled with verses appealing to fulfilled prophecy. Those verses are part of my faith.

But as to the faith issue of your first sentence; When God told Abraham he would be the father of many nations, Abraham just believed God. Abraham had faith that what God said is true in Romans 4. And Paul said this was written because of those who are about to be believing on Him that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day. I don't need to see proof of that. I believe God is believable and so I believe Him concerning Christ's death for us all.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:40 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Ah, yes. The English were incredibly snobby about the Celtic -speakers back in the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality