Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,093,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Maybe move this thread to a religion forum? I don't think the Texas forum is the appropriate place for discussion of fairy tales!

Good luck to the OP. Perhaps you could consider reality to help you deal with your dilemma.
Good luck to you on that opinion, you'll need it. Except you will run out of luck on that one... You state fairy tale I state this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,278,117 times
I don't consider myself a religious person, but I believe God has a plan for each and everyone of us. If he has a different path for us, he has a way of showing us.

For example, not trying to make this about me, but I was in the fire academy last summer which took me over a 1.5 year application process to get in. It involved stressful testing and passing of some very difficult exams. Long story short, I wasn't passing the exams. I gave it my full 150% studying, reviewing, talking to the instructor everyday, going to every study group I could, and I still was missing the passing scores by 3 points. I prayed to God everyday asking him to help me get through the program. I ended up failing the final exam ( again, missing it by 2 points) and I ended up being let go. The first few days I spent angry and disappointed feeling that he had turned his back on me. I was unemployed for 3 months, but now found a different career path as a Parole Officer. I'm currently in a Parole Officer training too, much less strenuous and stressful than the fire academy. I've currently been passing all my tests and am making more $$$. A whole $8000 more per year.

Long and short, the fire department wasn't for me. Period. It's not up to me to tell you if the ministry is God's plan for you or not. Perhaps god may be using you guys right now to be a blessing to someone else's life who really needs it. You may have already crossed paths with that person and not realized it yet. As long as you are continuing a path of sincere goodness and not doing any malicious acts or things to hurt others, you will be rewarded and restored far more than you can ever imagine. (Remember the story of JOB in the bible)

But I'm sending prayers your way!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,319,357 times
Years ago I gave up trying to understand why bad things happen to good people.

More troubling was when I noticed good things happening to bad people, I still grapple with that one.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
This thread really should be moved to the religious forum. God is everywhere - including Texas - but this thread isn't really about Texas.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,808,295 times
It's very simple !!!

Your praying for the wrong thing, instead ask for guidance on this stage of your life and look pass your troubles !!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,319,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This thread really should be moved to the religious forum. God is everywhere - including Texas - but this thread isn't really about Texas.
To hear some Texans tell it I think he spends more time here than the other 49!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:01 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,093,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Years ago I gave up trying to understand why bad things happen to good people.

More troubling was when I noticed good things happening to bad people, I still grapple with that one.

Good luck.

I've heard it explained time and time again, and sounds understandable at the time, but I can't repeat the responses I heard now. I do know we can't have the mind of God.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,992,231 times
Here's a suggestion: the Deity is not a cosmic puppet-master. The terms of our existence are within the natural world, with all its tragedy and natural implacability. Religious faith provides a means of psychologically redeeming the terms of our existence, and of realizing the grace inherent in the gift of consciousness in which we participate along with other sentient beings and with what believers impute as the conscious agency from which all creation ultimately springs (through processes of physics and evolutionary biology). This is nothing to do with magic, but rather everything to do with the psychological imperatives of aesthetics and the discernment of personal meaning in our lives.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM

5,474 posts, read 7,771,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Here's a suggestion: the Deity is not a cosmic puppet-master. The terms of our existence are within the natural world, with all its tragedy and natural implacability. Religious faith provides a means of psychologically redeeming the terms of our existence, and of realizing the grace inherent in the gift of consciousness in which we participate along with other sentient beings and with what believers impute as the conscious agency from which all creation ultimately springs (through processes of physics and evolutionary biology). This is nothing to do with magic, but rather everything to do with the psychological imperatives of aesthetics and the discernment of personal meaning in our lives.
No, I think it's God's way of telling them that Texas already has too many churches.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,219,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I am a minister but right now I don't feel like one. My husband left a good job to move to Texas to start a church. Everything has went wrong and we have spent all of our money. My husband is a awesome man of God. I don't understand why God is allowing us to be on the verge of being homeless. I love God with all my heart. I just don't understand why he is not helping. My husband needs a job and has a clean criminal record and stellar work history. Please pray for me. We have four kids. If God is humbling me; it has worked because I am crushed.
Maybe God didn't want him to start a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
View detailed profiles of: