Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

The surprise to me was that even in the Bible Belt, white Christians are the minority in some of those states. The times they are a-changin' , as the song goes.

White Christians Are Now A Minority In 19 American States -- Including Some Parts Of The Bible Belt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
It actually doesn't surprise me, in that I see the stridency of conservative evangelicals as a reaction to their loss of hegemony. They are quite aware that they no longer get the accustomed free pass in the marketplace of ideas, AND that they don't compete on a level playing field very well at all. Indeed, it's a complete fail in that regard.

It's a similar story in the political and cultural realms.

This isn't a WASP society anymore. Or even WC (White Christian).

Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The surprise to me was that even in the Bible Belt, white Christians are the minority in some of those states. The times they are a-changin' , as the song goes.

White Christians Are Now A Minority In 19 American States -- Including Some Parts Of The Bible Belt
God never promised that Christianity would be popular. We've enjoyed a lot of freedoms in this country...but there was never a promise it would go on indefinitely.

The question though, is will organizations such as the ACLU will fight as fervently for the white Evangelical as it does for other minorities.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

As of 2014 white non-Hispanic people are in the minority in CA, period. Doesn't matter if religion is considered or not. Things change. What does it mean? It means you can get a delicious bowl of pho for lunch or walk next door for chicken and waffles. Yay.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God never promised that Christianity would be popular. We've enjoyed a lot of freedoms in this country...but there was never a promise it would go on indefinitely.

The question though, is will organizations such as the ACLU will fight as fervently for the white Evangelical as it does for other minorities.
Why don't we take at look at what the ACLU says about that?

It appears that they already have taken on a number of cases to support religious freedom evangelicals.

https://www.aclu.org/aclu-defense-re...and-expression

Comments?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Great, so now I'll have a variety of races threatening me with hell instead of just white folks.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
As of 2014 white non-Hispanic people are in the minority in CA, period. Doesn't matter if religion is considered or not. Things change. What does it mean? It means you can get a delicious bowl of pho for lunch or walk next door for chicken and waffles. Yay.
It surprises me when Americans talk about ethnic diversity and how much there is. As one who spends half the time in the US, I find that there are only about 3 significant groups that are visible. If you go to Alberta, which is often compared to Texas as far as attitudes are concerned, you will find a much larger diverse, especially visibly diverse, makeup of the population.

There is a large East Indian component, many who may be from Pakistan, there is an extremely large East Asian component, there is a large Filipino component, there is a large Native American component, and the one group that we see less of is a black component. And yes we are allowed to say black, as people of that ethnic background are Canadian citizens and not American citizens.

As a side note, many Canadians who are black, are rather offended to be called African Americans when they cross the border.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

It appears that they already have taken on a number of cases to support religious freedom evangelicals.

Comments?
That's an impressive list, but I suspect many Christians can't credit it because (a) the ACLU is willing to defend, e.g., a Muslim's freedom of religious expression, too, which doesn't adequately embrace their need for special treatment and (b) the ACLU is willing to defend people against religious fascism too, and again, that doesn't give religion the free ride in the marketplace of ideas that they are historically accustomed to and (c) it violates the approved narrative that the ACLU is a god-hating, religion-hating, pro-abortion, capitalism-undermining organization.

When I was an evangelical there were many things I noticed like this that I was convinced on some level was not to be trusted, that it was a clever ruse of some kind, because my overlords didn't leave me any room to see them as humans with any positive qualities and intents, other than perhaps seriously misguided ones. At the very least, I was left with slippery-slope concerns that even if this time they were on the side of god and Mom and apple pie, I was somehow enabling them to win some large ideological war if I gave them any credit, however deserved, for such support.

Basically the ACLU's sin is that it doesn't see a non-evangelical's rights as having any less legitimacy or urgency in being defended, which puts them "in league" with and supportive of undesirable ideologies, beliefs or thought systems. The old "you're either for us or against us" concept.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:

I'm not exactly sure what point this article is trying to make. That the racial demographic of whites is decreasing or Christianity is decreasing? I certainly agree with racial part as I've witnessed it personally but that doesn't mean there are less Christians.

If the study is proving that people are starting to turn away from Christianity then that doesn't surprise me because the Bible predicted this would happen in Matthew:

"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.

All these are the beginning of birth pains.

Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.

At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other"

Matthew 27:7-10

Old 03-06-2015, 10:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

Comments?
Perhaps. Honestly? I haven't seen the statistics on the actual number of cases they've taken for white evangelicals compared to other minorities, compared to the number they declined to take. But I can say that it SEEMS like they sure love to take a stand against the religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality