Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Like I've said in previous posts, people can continue pulling away from God but God's presence remains and they will be judged. All of these surveys mean diddly squat whether it favors the majority or just the minority of believers. God knows the true heart of an individual not a survey polling.
And your post means as much to those who do not beleive in your God as a post addressed to you from a Muslim, Hindu or Buddist saying the same about their diety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:29 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Like I've said in previous posts, people can continue pulling away from God but God's presence remains and they will be judged. All of these surveys mean diddly squat whether it favors the majority or just the minority of believers. God knows the true heart of an individual not a survey polling.
Which god? Your god or someone else's?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,953,657 times
There is only one path to Heaven and that is God through His Son Jesus Christ. I don't care what others say as I will not intervene in their beliefs as I am more mature than to cut their beliefs apart, I just need to know my personal Savior and know that I will attain Heaven one day to be with the Lord.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:02 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Well, good for you. That cuts absolutely no ice with anyone able to think beyond the religious mental ringfencing of Christianity. Just for info.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
There is only one path to Heaven and that is God through His Son Jesus Christ. I don't care what others say as I will not intervene in their beliefs as I am more mature than to cut their beliefs apart, I just need to know my personal Savior and know that I will attain Heaven one day to be with the Lord.
1.6 billion Muslims disagree. Who is right? You or they? Maybe neither?

Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,939,436 times
Quote:
The good part is that secularism will be less and less subject to the tyranny of the religious zealots. The reducing numbers of 'believers' will be free to practice their religion, but the impact of them doing so will finally be reduced to impacting only themselves and unfortunately their children until the children get older, but not the greater society.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times
Quote:
I also believe Jesus is THE way. On the other hand, it's not going to bother me in the least if God decides to save ALL religious people, or even those "horrible" atheists and agnostics. I'll praise God for it. After all, don't we preach the Good News is for everyone? If it is, why the overwhelming desire among conservative Christians to be "right!"

My introspection has revealed to me that I am totally unworthy to called His. Why then should I go around preaching "I'm not worthy, but I'm more worthy than Freak who has raked me over the coals a time or two, or Arequipa who has certainly proven to be quite educated, logical, and thoughtful--but I know Jesus and he doesn't? Or should I see myself as unworthy but better than you who are caught up in judgmental type of Christianity that praises it's own "knowledge" of the Bible?

That's the difficulty of fundamentalist Christianity which always seeks to find someone not "worthy," while ignoring their own unworthiness. We are all equally unworthy without necessarily being "bad" human beings.

As for me I hope we can all apologize to God in whatever afterlife there might be for our inevitable errors and have a cold beer. And then spend a few decades saying, "I told you so! about every topic under the sun. THAT would be Heaven.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,636,400 times
Yes, but when you take the total of the entire Christian population of each state (Hispanic and black included) I bet those states aren't minority states then. Christians all believe in the same God regardless of who tries to split us up and divide us according to ethnicity and skin color. Though the article is right, the younger set is being wooed by the atheist/"none" belief system while the older Christians, the "Greatest Generation" is dying off.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Yes, but when you take the total of the entire Christian population of each state (Hispanic and black included) I bet those states aren't minority states then. Christians all believe in the same God regardless of who tries to split us up and divide us according to ethnicity and skin color. Though the article is right, the younger set is being wooed by the atheist/"none" belief system while the older Christians, the "Greatest Generation" is dying off.
You obviously haven't read any of conservative Christian researcher George Barna's work. He states that what is driving away young people from the church is conservative christianity's message of hate and exclusivity. At least that's what evangelical young people are telling the Barna Group.

But if the message is the problem, why don't conservatives alter it? If it were Good News, people would flock to it. Rather it appears to be the same old "I'm right, you're wrong" news practiced by conservative christianity with regard to racism and women in the past, and by trying to turn the Bible from a faith book into a scientific and sociological book in the here and now. Young people are smarter than that, so they don't see the relevance of a religion relying on outmoded thinking.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 PM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You obviously haven't read any of conservative Christian researcher George Barna's work. He states that what is driving away young people from the church is conservative christianity's message of hate and exclusivity. At least that's what evangelical young people are telling the Barna Group.
Most evangelicals won't think this relevant as they regard Jehovah's Witnesses as a cult anyway, but I can't help but be put in mind of a couple of teenage girls who came to my door a little bit ago and wanted to hand me an invite to "a local event", no conversation, and they cleared out in double-time. It turned out to be a JW tract / invitation to an Easter-related event as well as a sermon entitled, tellingly, "A Promise of Perfect Family Happiness"*

My guess is that they are being groomed for more aggressive tactics later, but it was funny / sad what they are being put up to, and I can only imagine the humiliation they feel at some level not too deep down, doing this kind of thing. Most kids under the age of 25 or so are still convinced that everyone cares how they look / groom / fit in / think / how cool they are; how must this raise that to a fever pitch and how hard must the Collective work to break their spirit before it's too late?

* Omitted subtitle: "... in exchange for your mindless devotion to us".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality