Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

What is the fascination we have with ancient things Egyptian? Is it that Egyptian philosophy and culture is the forerunner to Christianity? Is it that we can't figure out how the pyramids were really built? Is it because of magic curses that kill people who dig up old stuff? What is it? Why do we continue to have a fascination with the art and myticism and riches and symbology and history of the ancient Egypt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
It was a very early civilization with many firsts and it lasted a really long time. They left a long record that isn't entirely figured out, so there is still much to learn. Many of their ideas and beliefs morphed into more modern ideas so there continues to be an interest in the original.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,530 times
It is so rich with science, math, and art - how can one NOT be intrigued by a culture so ancient and yet so advanced?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
What is the fascination we have with ancient things Egyptian? Is it that Egyptian philosophy and culture is the forerunner to Christianity? Is it that we can't figure out how the pyramids were really built? Is it because of magic curses that kill people who dig up old stuff? What is it? Why do we continue to have a fascination with the art and myticism and riches and symbology and history of the ancient Egypt?

It's really really really really old.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:14 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,209 times
They have also discovered wiring and what seemed to be some sort of light bulbs in some pyramids and ruins, suggesting that they had harnessed energy somehow. All I know is in 5th grade art class we were asked to do a project, I chose Isis as my subject. She is framed in my home today, and I am still fascinated with her. She has always been my Deity of choice.

My mom goes to Egypt in March with her archaeological group, I can't wait til she gets back and tells me all about it!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
It must be because of their invention of make up and fragrances.
The Egyptians were probably the very 1st victims of the fashion industries.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,116,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

I think we have a fascination with all ancient cultures and cities. We are just as fascinated by the ruins of other ancient civilizations, and in finding those that were either myth or erased by history. (Atlantis) Personally, I am intrigued by this period of Egypt's history, and always wonder what else has been erased by the sands of time in that land.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:03 PM

All i know is that ever since i was about 8 years old I wanted one of those head band things with the cobra on them to wear perched over my forehead. Finally this year I made a Cleopatra costume for a party and had a blast, finally got to wear my uraeus!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
They have also discovered wiring and what seemed to be some sort of light bulbs in some pyramids and ruins, suggesting that they had harnessed energy somehow.
I remember in about 5th grade too, studying those pictures of how the pyramids were built with all the ramps and pulleys, when come to find out recently a much more advanced harnessing of energy (just like you mention in your post) allowed the molecular structure of the stone to be rearranged, making it light enough to move easily, then once the structure was in place, reverting back to the heavy stone. This makes sense to me. Ancient cultures we are finding were way more technologically advanced then either we give them credit for, or we are today ourselves.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I think we have a fascination with all ancient cultures and cities. We are just as fascinated by the ruins of other ancient civilizations, and in finding those that were either myth or erased by history. (Atlantis) Personally, I am intrigued by this period of Egypt's history, and always wonder what else has been erased by the sands of time in that land.
You should post your poem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality