Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 AM

20,213 posts, read 13,625,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
However.. Eusebius does have a good sense of humor
At times. But fundamentalism is essentially a humorless enterprise. One of the things I love about my wife is that she knows how to laugh at absurdity. It helps pull my head our of my touche ... a place where my fundamentalist origins originally thrust it.

Sorry for the imagery but it is apt ...

Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,326,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
However.. Eusebius does have a good sense of humor
That he does .

Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 AM

18,534 posts, read 9,226,696 times
I think scientists will one day discover God. Not with the telescope, but with MRI.

Is This Your Brain On God? : NPR

Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,326,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think scientists will one day discover God. Not with the telescope, but withIs This Your Brain On God? : NPR MRI.
God is my brain?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So very true. As many believers have asked, though, why do atheists ask so much about gods if we don't believe in them, it is in an effort to understand those that do.
Although this all could be seen as a digression, it may end up being quite in line with the current topic.
Maybe that is true of life long atheists, or (as was my experience) deconverted theists who are still wondering if there is a way to understand the God concept in a way that is believable.

But I think many deconverted theists realize that theists can't give them the type of evidence they would require to believe God exists, and since they were theists themselves, they already understand those who are, so that can't be their reason. So what is their purpose in talking about it so much? Maybe a desire to get others to acknowledge the inconsistencies the atheist sees in their beliefs? Maybe a genuine desire to see people freed from beliefs they themselves can now see as potentially detrimental to those that hold those beliefs and to others? Or, maybe in some cases, there is a residual anger at feeling they were duped by religion? There are as many possibilities as there are atheists, I suppose.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 AM

18,534 posts, read 9,226,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
God is my brain?
Probably.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:10 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,297,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Maybe that is true of life long atheists, or (as was my experience) deconverted theists who are still wondering if there is a way to understand the God concept in a way that is believable.

But I think many deconverted theists realize that theists can't give them the type of evidence they would require to believe God exists, and since they were theists themselves, they already understand those who are, so that can't be their reason. So what is their purpose in talking about it so much? Maybe a desire to get others to acknowledge the inconsistencies the atheist sees in their beliefs? Maybe a genuine desire to see people freed from beliefs they themselves can now see as potentially detrimental to those that hold those beliefs and to others? Or, maybe in some cases, there is a residual anger at feeling they were duped by religion? There are as many possibilities as there are atheists, I suppose.
Any one of those reasons appear to be applicable depending on the person and you can add one more.
The small % an agnostic atheist has to intellectually allow, leaves the possibility open especially when you sometimes do think..."Can it really be that I'm alright but the majority of world is wrong"?

The same lack of ego that allows us to admit there are some things we just don't know allows that question occasionally even if we quickly get back to reality.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,446,089 times
Quote:
Any one of those reasons appear to be applicable depending on the person and you can add one more.
The small % an agnostic atheist has to intellectually allow, leaves the possibility open especially when you sometimes do think..."Can it really be that I'm alright but the majority of world is wrong"?

The same lack of ego that allows us to admit there are some things we just don't know allows that question occasionally even if we quickly get back to reality.
Heh, you just had to get that in there. . The reality of many people includes God, of course. .

Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,911,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK, so maybe it is wrong to be an Atheist, but is there any harm in it?

I mean, will I suffer anything bad just because I do not believe gods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I didn't say it is wrong to be an atheist - not if you are suggesting Sin though unbelief. But its conclusions - though logically sound - just happen to exclude the Reality (so sorry - but these terms are applied to something..I am going to have to say it 'supernatural') As to divine retribution, I think you can rest easy. That would have been No 1 in the bullet points.

Sorry about the Chophrish But - He Is. He is a Being. And there is a rightness (manfully resists the capital R) in using the '-ness' tag to describe His quality of being and existence (words and meaning are strained to the limit) rather than just stating the fact of existence. Cut me some slack, fellers, I'm trying to express Deepak Thoughts with a "Bob the builder" brain.
OK, I am very willing to cut you some slack. I can definitely sympathize that you do not have the details of your theology all worked out.

I understand that you are trying to figure out your own answers, and I like that. If you ever determine why we Atheists should believe there are gods, please let us know.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:18 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,911,760 times
Quote:
That's a very good point.

We can ponder if the Theory of Gravity is correct or not, but we have to accept the reality that if we hold a bowling ball over our foot and let go, it is going to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality