Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 AM

430 posts, read 484,737 times

Advertisements

I myself am agnostic. That report from dailymail scares me too. Imagine a future dominated by the likes of iran, saudi arabia and pakistan. intelligent life would never leave earth.

how can that be? all this time i thought secularism was beating religion.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM

309 posts, read 259,311 times
Sorry, sophion, I misconstrued the "Allah akhbar!" in your post.

Secularism is beating religion in the West, but the West is not all the world. Well, who knows what the future may bring. The Shiites and the Sunnis may just blow one another to hell before they get a chance at world domination.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:02 AM

309 posts, read 259,311 times
"Tolerance", political correctness and multiculturalism are actually American inventions that were forced on Europe after WWII. But don't you worry, we have lived through darker times than these.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 AM

20,268 posts, read 13,664,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
i dont know what a snope is, but this is what wikipedia says:

In 2006, countries with a Muslim majority had an average population growth rate of 1.8% per year (when weighted by percentage Muslim and population size).[1] This compares with a world population growth rate of 1.12% per year.[2] As of 2011, it is predicted that the world's Muslim population will grow twice as fast as non-Muslims over the next 20 years. By 2030, Muslims will make up more than a quarter of the global population. By the year 2100, about 1% more of the world’s population would be Muslim (35%) than Christian (34%)
Muslim population growth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most projections regarding birth and population rates suffer from being linear projections that don't take other factors into consideration. You can't assume that e.g. a 1.8% annual growth rate is sustainable. At some point you hit a wall -- usually two walls, actually. One is that there are limited resources and starvation and disease (or the threat thereof) bring the rate back down. The other is that there's a general trend in the world towards increasing education and wealth, and educated wealthy people tend to have fewer children. While it is argued that this last factor applies less to poor Muslim countries I think it still applies. Also, regardless of the impact on birth rates, the best antidote to radical / violent / fundamentalist religion is prosperity and education -- so even if the proportion of Muslims increases, that will be a benign fact, not an alarming one, if they are relatively prosperous and educated. By "relatively" I don't mean they are all millionaires with PhD's, I mean they are just not completely ignorant and unskilled and without hope of any meaningful kind.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM

16,765 posts, read 15,825,298 times
Thread closed pending Moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality