Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 PM

22,840 posts, read 19,449,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
If they agree to not engage in those activities, but they do, what happens to those people?
it's on the par of teaching a small child not to run out into the freeway in front of cars going 70 mph

even a preschooler understands this is fatal so it is on that level of "no-brainer"in terms of causing damage to self and others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 01:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's on the par of teaching a small child not to run out into the freeway in front of cars going 70 mph

even a preschooler understands this is fatal so it is on that level of "no-brainer"in terms of causing damage to self and others
So if thats true, why doesn't world A just do that?

Cuz god?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,455,306 times
This is what I don't get. If people had to choose between a world that wasn't free of imperfection and one that is, it seems many would choose the imperfect world. But some of those same people say that any God who would allow us to exist in this imperfect world (with the resulting pain and discomfort) is unworthy to either be called good or God, therefore a good God can't exist. Odd.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM

64,116 posts, read 40,420,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This is what I don't get. If people had to choose between a world that wasn't free of imperfection and one that is, it seems many would choose the imperfect world. But some of those same people say that any God who would allow us to exist in this imperfect world (with the resulting pain and discomfort) is unworthy to either be called good or God, therefore a good God can't exist. Odd.
As usual, you have a way of getting to the root of things, Pleroo. This is the attitude that tends to dominate thoughts about the existence of God.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
So if thats true, why doesn't world A just do that?

Cuz god?
because in World A people are unwilling to let go of hate and anger and war and greed and violence; they insist they are necessary, required, impossible to live without, that they are natural and that humans can not live and exist without them; they are victims of their own chosen hostility

in World B the people see that it is a choice, and they choose not to, because they can see the damage it causes; they take responsibility for their actions, instead of claiming they don't have a choice

Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
because in World A people are unwilling to let go of hate and anger and war and greed and violence; they insist they are necessary, required, impossible to live without, that they are natural and that humans can not live and exist without them; they are victims of their own chosen hostility

in World B the people see that it is a choice, and they choose not to, because they can see the damage it causes; they take responsibility for their actions, instead of claiming they don't have a choice
But thats just the point...people have both options in both worlds. You can't say hate & war & violence aren't possible in world B if you aren't somehow restricting the possible outcomes, based on what we know to be human behavior throughout history.

And how does either world have anything to do with the concept of god? The behaviors of people in either world are completely isolated for all intents & purposes.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,769,149 times
Quote:
Thats why its a strange contrast as world B would also have those things...as the people of world B would need to either (a) violate those agreements daily everytime they they stub their toe & trigger anger emotions, go on a vacation & decide "I want a boat just like that", or a friend tells their other friend "no, that dress doesn't make you look fat"....or (b) the god of world B makes those emotions & actions completely impossible so you are essentially not able to do those things, thus supprtessing emotions which are naturally occurring human emotions... or (c) try to limit those situations (as often as you can) and hope everybody else does as well. Thus, you get world A anyway.

The end result is that in order to adhere to the edict of world B, you'd have to make them impossible feeling & actions to occur or agree to punish anybody doing those things, including yourself.
I could live without all the bad things in world A. I see no reason for greed and war and all the other bad things. Sure, maybe I would end up being punished in the end because I am human and not perfect, so maybe I would end up getting angry at something and vaporized, but if given a choice, I would choose to live in world B.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I could live without all the bad things in world A. I see no reason for greed and war and all the other bad things. Sure, maybe I would end up being punished in the end because I am human and not perfect, so maybe I would end up getting angry at something and vaporized, but if given a choice, I would choose to live in world B.
you would be fine on world B Ashley and a welcome addition

Old 05-26-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
You can't say hate & war & violence aren't possible in world B based on what we know to be human behavior throughout history.
hate and war and violence are a choice that humans make
have you ever raised children? we can raise them to be peaceful, or we can raise them to be violent

it is possible in a family, it is possible in a community, it is possible in a world

Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
how does either world have anything to do with the concept of god?
because hate, violence, war, greed, and oppression have nothing to do with god, they are entirely a human choice; so people are left to their own devices, to deal with the natural consequences of their own choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality