Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Maybe I need to re-evaluate my default stance that JWs are not really Christians, but a sort of fork of Christianity (to use a programming term). Because these JW teachings give me pause. There's a link on that page to several more, but these are arguably the best.

The irony for me is that I don't think there's much in these quotations that Christian fundamentalism would object to despite their insistence that JWs are cultists pushing a patently false religion; it's just that fundamentalists wouldn't be so overt and legalistic about most of them. For example the injunction to shun apostates would be accepted in principle, but not to the extent of invading personal privacy by, say, rebuking a parent for even speaking to a child who has left the faith. The Christian fundamentalist would say "let's not get so extreme as that" as well as "let's not give up hope" and "let's not stop showing unconditional love" but at a conceptual level would be just as harsh.

And then of course there's this, which is terribly familiar and could come from any evangelical's playbook, other than them feeling vaguely embarrassed to flog it so openly:
Quote:
Many who pursue higher education end up with their minds filled with harmful propaganda. Such education wastes valuable youthful years that could best be used in Jehovah's service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Ouch!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Quote:
Many who pursue higher education end up with their minds filled with harmful propaganda. Such education wastes valuable youthful years that could best be used in Jehovah's service.

Sad, and distinctly cowardly. They fear true knowledge and avoid it.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:06 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
They don't believe in the Trinity. Christianity requires belief in the Trinity. From a Christian viewpoint they're not Christian.

I never knew they were against higher education. What fear and ignorance!

You know they refuse to vote, salute the flag or serve in the military but they do allow the government to support them in the form of Food Stamps, Welfare, SSDI, etc.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
They don't believe in the Trinity. Christianity requires belief in the Trinity. From a Christian viewpoint they're not Christian.

I never knew they were against higher education. What fear and ignorance!

You know they refuse to vote, salute the flag or serve in the military but they do allow the government to support them in the form of Food Stamps, Welfare, SSDI, etc.
That's interesting Vall. I didn't know the Apostle Paul, the apostle of the nations, ever stated belief in the man-made idea called the Trinity was necessary for salvation. As a matter of fact, I can't even find such a requirement for anyone in the entire Bible.

No, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:48 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That's interesting Vall. I didn't know the Apostle Paul, the apostle of the nations, ever stated belief in the man-made idea called the Trinity was necessary for salvation. As a matter of fact, I can't even find such a requirement for anyone in the entire Bible.

No, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness.
I will clarify my post for you. Christian churches require belief in the Trinity. Jehovah Witnesses,, Mormons, Christadelphians, et al do not believe in the Trinity. Therefore, according to Christian churches those groups are not Christian.

I said nothing about the Apostle Paul and have neither the time nor the inclination to play your game.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
I will clarify my post for you. Christian churches require belief in the Trinity.
Clarify all you want, but you have no more right to declare what Christianity requires than the next person.

Quote:
Jehovah Witnesses,, Mormons, Christadelphians, et al do not believe in the Trinity. Therefore, according to Christian churches those groups are not Christian.
I have news for you. I'm a Mormon and a Christian, and I don't really give a damn whether you think I am or not.

I have more news for you. This thread isn't even supposed to be about Mormonism, so I'll say no more about Mormonism as long as you do the same.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Clarify all you want, but you have no more right to declare what Christianity requires than the next person.
Beat me to it.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:41 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
I will clarify my post for you. Christian churches require belief in the Trinity. Jehovah Witnesses,, Mormons, Christadelphians, et al do not believe in the Trinity. Therefore, according to Christian churches those groups are not Christian.
I said nothing about the Apostle Paul and have neither the time nor the inclination to play your game.
Christian churches do NOT define who or what is Christian . . . Christ does. No one here can declare who is Christian. Only God has that ability.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:

Hi Vall,
Please read what Paul said about Abraham near the end of Romans 4 and how he used Abraham's faith as it relates to true believers. When one believes God that Christ died for our offenses/sins, was entombed and roused from the dead, God declares that person righteous.

Paul does not say that to REALLY REALLY be righteous one must believe in the Trinity or be baptized or pay tithes or repent or whatever. Not believing in the Trinity does not make a person God has declared as righteous, unrighteous. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality