Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Perception is everything.

And you lack it.
People who believe that they can never be wrong about ANYTHING lack perception. I can easily accept being wrong. I've seen nothing from your side that indicates you have that ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
People who believe that they can never be wrong about ANYTHING lack perception. I can easily accept being wrong. I've seen nothing from your side that indicates you have that ability.
Jeff

My question to you is should SSM not matter to you but that homosexuality is not illegal be the important thing? I am asking this because you are so against the homosexual act. Do not take this as putting down your opposition, I am asking this as an honest question trying to understand your stance better.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Now that same sex-marriage is legal in all 50 states, who will be the next minority that Fundamentalist Christians rail against?
Yay!

We get to watch all the people terrified of change frantically compete over canned foods and scramble into their bomb shelters.

Ahahahaahahahaah! The good guys win!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
And what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

I don't recall ever saying "boys will be boys". I simply don't see children as meeting the criteria for being a pedophile. If young boys have the same sexual maturity as adults then there shouldn't be any laws punishing consensual sex between minors and adults. That's a fair point that no one on your side dared to take on.

The only thing I gained from the Duggar thread is renewed knowledge that once your side targets someone, there is no reasoning with you even if the facts slap you in the face.
You'd be surprised how often you say something I respect, and even admire, and that makes me stop and think. Probably very surprised.

But the frustrating thing is that it's always just a matter of time - and usually not very much time - before you post something like "Duggar isn't a pedophile because he was only a teenager when he raped those girls," or comparing gay marriage to dogfighting.

And yes, Jeff, I can see why from your point of view, that has no relevance to the topic at hand. But the reason I refer to it is that I think it speaks to your credibility and the rational foundation of your arguments, and strongly suggests that your positions are based entirely on your religious beliefs rather than logic or morality. And thus less credible.

So that's why I bring it up. I know you feel I'm being petty and picking on you unfairly, and I do see your point of view. You've got a point. Despite my strong disagreement with your positions, and my inability to respect most of them, I have to admit that (more than most fundamentalists here) you consistently attempt to argue in what you consider good faith, and there is a sincerity to your arguments that can not be denied. I think I let myself forget that about you too often, and I promise to not let myself lose sight of it in the future when replying to you or referring to you.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Quote:
For all you who dislike dog fighting, DON"T PARTICIPATE IN DOG FIGHTING. It's that simple!

See how your simple logic doesn't work when it comes to things you would find morally wrong? Now imagine that dog fighting is made legal and promoted by the government. Imagine turning on the tv and seeing dog fighting in every show. Dog fighting pride parades. Businesses force to cater to the needs of dog fighters. etc..

(and no I'm not saying SSM is just as bad as dog fighting, sad that I have to make this disclaimer)

You guys and your comparisons ... BOTH parties in SSM are consenting adults .. which of the dogs in a dog fight are capable of consenting to ANYTHING?

Sexual insecurities will distort your thinking.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Jeff

My question to you is should SSM not matter to you but that homosexuality is not illegal be the important thing? I am asking this because you are so against the homosexual act. Do not take this as putting down your opposition, I am asking this as an honest question trying to understand your stance better.
No I don't think homosexuality should be illegal. My position has always been that God gave us free will and that means you should have the freedom to live life however you choose even if that involves a sinful lifestyle. I only started to protest when same sex marriage and discrimination laws began to cause conflicts with religion and faith.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
And what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

I don't recall ever saying "boys will be boys". I simply don't see children as meeting the criteria for being a pedophile. If young boys have the same sexual maturity as adults then there shouldn't be any laws punishing consensual sex between minors and adults. That's a fair point that no one on your side dared to take on.

The only thing I gained from the Duggar thread is renewed knowledge that once your side targets someone, there is no reasoning with you even if the facts slap you in the face.
No, what he did was point out your hypocrisy. If that 14 year old child had got a hold of your daughter or niece or your girlfriend's four year old sister, would you be saying, "let's all pray with him and send him to do construction work this summer?"

I don't think so.

I am totally opposed to vigilante justice. But we have laws in this country that need to be enforced with "justice." Were you opposed to treating those child killers with punishment in Arkansas many years ago?

Quote:
Mitchell Johnson, 13,and Andrew Golden, 11,shoot their classmates and teachers in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Golden, the younger of the two boys, asked to be excused from his class, pulled a fire alarm and then ran to join Johnson in a wooded area 100 yards away from the school’s gym. As the students streamed out of the building, Johnson and Golden opened fire and killed four students and a teacher. Ten other children were wounded.
A school shooting in Jonesboro, Arkansas, kills five - Mar 24, 1998 - HISTORY.com

They were just young children--younger than Josh--but they had to do time in a juvenile facility. But not Josh. His parents are "christians." His parents mentor, is Mikey Huckabee. So he doesn't face justice, he faces a summer of construction work.

Maybe you should have gone to Arkansas and prayed with those child killers, won them to Jesus and then sent them on their merry way.

AND THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JUSTICE BY LAW AND NO JUSTICE AT ALL.

You have a stunning display of lack of justice. And it's why you can't be mixed up with a follower of Christ. You are welcome to believe anything you wish. You are not welcome to practice it openly against the laws of society, AND, your business, your company, your state, must now accept anybody's marriage license--just as they must accept anybody's driver's license. And THAT is justice.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
You guys and your comparisons ... BOTH parties in SSM are consenting adults .. which of the dogs in a dog fight are capable of consenting to ANYTHING?
Sexual insecurities will distort your thinking.
Comparisons are not the forte of fundamentalists. They seem to have trouble seeing legitimate parallels.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
No I don't think homosexuality should be illegal. My position has always been that God gave us free will and that means you should have the freedom to live life however you choose even if that involves a sinful lifestyle. I only started to protest when same sex marriage and discrimination laws began to cause conflicts with religion and faith.
Thank you for your response. One follow up question, if the law gave religious business owners the right to discriminate would you then drop your opposition to SSM?

Old 06-27-2015, 10:12 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Comparisons are not the forte of fundamentalists. They seem to have trouble seeing legitimate parallels.
Since I am a straight male that SUPPORTS same-sex marriage its affect on MY life is about the same as someone putting ketchup on their eggs .... Lets see if they can understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality