Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM

11 posts, read 7,487 times

Advertisements

"The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it."--John 1 NIV

I've heard some Christians repeat the idea Jesus was Jewish. Now, I understand why the idea exists; for a long time Christianity was marred by anti-semitism. So, if you argue the Son of God was Jewish then it curtails anti-semitism because if you love the Christ clearly you must not mistreat the old religion. However, theologically this presents a slippery slope into rejecting the very idea Jesus was divine. So, I argue to not be anti-semetic but also don't strip away the Christ's Divinity in the process.

I chose the line from John 1 because John makes it very clearly the Christ predates the Earth, predating creation itself. Hence, the Christ predates Judaism. Something to think about is could the Christ have been any other religion on Earth at the time or even know or was it a necessity his foster parents potentially be in a Jewish region? I don't believe the Christ could do anything else at the time.

For example, could the Christ have been born into a Roman household? Well, no. The Romans would not have had a way to conceptualize the Christ theologically, "Are you something like a Zeus, Poseidon, Athena...etc...what are you?" Also, the Roman hierarchy would not have allowed the Christ to exist, would he have been a slave, a soldier, a citizen? The same problems exist had the Christ been born in India or Asia, the Hindus and Buddhists would have no context to conceptualize him and their caste systems wouldn't allow him to function. So, the only feasible Earthly religion the Christ could choose is Judaism. It's just logistics, you have to work with what you got.

Now, was Mary Jewish? It's interesting how Joseph's lineage is given in Mathew but no mention of Mary's lineage is ever made. Someone correct me, but I've never met a Jewish Mary before so I'm not even if the origin of her name is Jewish. Also, John emphasis the whole catalyst for Christ's movement was the wedding at Canna. From scripture, Mary is the one to motivate the Christ to defy Jewish law and turn ritual Holy water into substantive, drinking holy water; if she was a Jew, she definitely was not an observant or good one because all the Rabbis know this is complete and utter blaspheme. So, my conception is the Christ was born in a mixed Jewish, possibly Samarian household or other of some other non Jewish minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomCom34 View Post
"The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it."--John 1 NIV.
Quote:
I chose the line from John 1 because John makes it very clearly the Christ predates the Earth, predating creation itself. Hence, the Christ predates Judaism. Something to think about is could the Christ have been any other religion on Earth at the time or even know or was it a necessity his foster parents potentially be in a Jewish region? I don't believe the Christ could do anything else at the time.
It says "In the beginning"...So, how could he predate earth?...

Quote:
Now, was Mary Jewish? It's interesting how Joseph's lineage is given in Mathew but no mention of Mary's lineage is ever made. Someone correct me, but I've never met a Jewish Mary before so I'm not even if the origin of her name is Jewish.
Her name was Miryam, which is Hebrew...

Quote:
Also, John emphasis the whole catalyst for Christ's movement was the wedding at Canna. From scripture, Mary is the one to motivate the Christ to defy Jewish law and turn ritual Holy water into substantive, drinking holy water; if she was a Jew, she definitely was not an observant or good one because all the Rabbis know this is complete and utter blaspheme. So, my conception is the Christ was born in a mixed Jewish, possibly Samarian household or other of some other non Jewish minority.
How did he defy Jewish Law?...

Where does it state that it was ritual holy water?...

Blasphemy?....Dude, where are you getting this stuff from?...

He was born to human parents...Both Jews...Being Joseph was an observant Jew, he would not have married Miryam if she was not an observant Jew, and definitely not if she were Gentile...

Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 PM

197 posts, read 208,271 times
Quote:
"The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it."--John 1 NIV

I've heard some Christians repeat the idea Jesus was Jewish. Now, I understand why the idea exists; for a long time Christianity was marred by anti-semitism. So, if you argue the Son of God was Jewish then it curtails anti-semitism because if you love the Christ clearly you must not mistreat the old religion. However, theologically this presents a slippery slope into rejecting the very idea Jesus was divine. So, I argue to not be anti-semetic but also don't strip away the Christ's Divinity in the process.

Jesus Christ is the human incarnation of the Word of God. He predates everything, the first born of God. He does predate the Earth. He predates the angels. He predates mankind and Judiasm. In John he says "Before Abraham was, I AM". He is God who is the eternally present one. He is the only begotten Son of the Father, and the Love between the two generates the Holy Spirit.

However, that divine Spirit, the Word, was made incarnate in the womb of a Jewish woman named Mary. This was done mostly to fulfill the promise made to Abraham due to his great faith.

Quote:
For example, could the Christ have been born into a Roman household? Well, no. The Romans would not have had a way to conceptualize the Christ theologically, "Are you something like a Zeus, Poseidon, Athena...etc...what are you?" Also, the Roman hierarchy would not have allowed the Christ to exist, would he have been a slave, a soldier, a citizen? The same problems exist had the Christ been born in India or Asia, the Hindus and Buddhists would have no context to conceptualize him and their caste systems wouldn't allow him to function. So, the only feasible Earthly religion the Christ could choose is Judaism. It's just logistics, you have to work with what you got.
God needed to separate a certain population out and teach them the true faith, in order for them to at least be able to conceive of the incarnation of the Word once he became made flesh. The Jews were that chosen race.

Quote:
Now, was Mary Jewish? It's interesting how Joseph's lineage is given in Mathew but no mention of Mary's lineage is ever made. Someone correct me, but I've never met a Jewish Mary before so I'm not even if the origin of her name is Jewish. Also, John emphasis the whole catalyst for Christ's movement was the wedding at Canna. From scripture, Mary is the one to motivate the Christ to defy Jewish law and turn ritual Holy water into substantive, drinking holy water; if she was a Jew, she definitely was not an observant or good one because all the Rabbis know this is complete and utter blaspheme. So, my conception is the Christ was born in a mixed Jewish, possibly Samarian household or other of some other non Jewish minority.
Mary was Jewish. Her lineage is traced in the Gospel of Luke. The Word was made flesh through her Immaculate womb, and was named Yeshua, Hebrew for Yah is Salvation. (getting translated from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English resulted in Jesus). I'm not sure what you are talking about -> Jesus turned regular water into wine at the wedding. And I assure you, neither Mary nor Jesus broke a single precept of the Jewish law. They were both sinless. Mary conceived without sin, Jesus born in the living Tabernacle as the Word made Flesh.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I'm pulling from Genesis, "In the beginning when God created the Heaven and Earth, the Earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters." --1:1 Gensis

The Old Testament, which I am pulling from to work with your thinking, states in the beginning, "the Earth was a formless void." So, depending on how you view the time from God's existence to the creation of the Earth the Christ was there. Hence, predating the Earth according to John who makes it clear the Christ was there in the beginning of creation which predates Adam and Eve and even the creation of the Earth.

Quote:
Her name was Miryam, which is Hebrew...
Thanks for clarifying that, I've never met a Jewish Miryam.

Quote:
How did he defy Jewish Law?...

Where does it state that it was ritual holy water?...
John 2:6 "Now standing there were six stone water jars for Jewish rites of Purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons."

Is that not ritual holy water? I can keep going but it's a little slow typing in all of the Gospel.

Quote:
Blasphemy?....Dude, where are you getting this stuff from?...
I have to look for the line where a Pharisee accuses the Christ of Blashpeme for the incident at Cana. Do you really want me to find it? It is something like, "we heard what you did at Cana...etc.."

Quote:
He was born to human parents...Both Jews...Being Joseph was an observant Jew, he would not have married Miryam if she was not an observant Jew, and definitely not if she were Gentile...
Hmmmm...observant is a maybe. However, the Christ predates creation as is noted in John. I'm curious what religion are you?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
Jesus Christ is the human incarnation of the Word of God. He predates everything, the first born of God. He does predate the Earth. He predates the angels. He predates mankind and Judiasm. In John he says "Before Abraham was, I AM". He is God who is the eternally present one. He is the only begotten Son of the Father, and the Love between the two generates the Holy Spirit.
No...Yeshua was not G-d...Nor did he claim ever to be G-d...

Quote:
However, that divine Spirit, the Word, was made incarnate in the womb of a Jewish woman named Mary. This was done mostly to fulfill the promise made to Abraham due to his great faith.
And what was that promise?...

Quote:
God needed to separate a certain population out and teach them the true faith, in order for them to at least be able to conceive of the incarnation of the Word once he became made flesh. The Jews were that chosen race.
And where do you get these assumptions from?..

Quote:
Mary was Jewish. Her lineage is traced in the Gospel of Luke. The Word was made flesh through her Immaculate womb, and was named Yeshua, Hebrew for Yah is Salvation. (getting translated from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English resulted in Jesus). I'm not sure what you are talking about -> Jesus turned regular water into wine at the wedding. And I assure you, neither Mary nor Jesus broke a single precept of the Jewish law. They were both sinless. Mary conceived without sin, Jesus born in the living Tabernacle as the Word made Flesh.
No, Miryam was not sinless...

What do you mean "Miryam conceived without sin"?...

Word made flesh?...You do not understand Metaphors, do you?...

Old 07-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other poster. I'm curious what is your religion? However, I largely agree with what you have written except for the Bold. I see there is some confusion as to the significance of the wedding at Cana. So, I'll clarify. Let me come back later. I'm sorry about that I have to do something right now. I'll answer it later

Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I'm pulling from Genesis, "In the beginning when God created the Heaven and Earth, the Earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters." --1:1 Gensis

The Old Testament, which I am pulling from to work with your thinking, states in the beginning, "the Earth was a formless void." So, depending on how you view the time from God's existence to the creation of the Earth the Christ was there. Hence, predating the Earth according to John who makes it clear the Christ was there in the beginning of creation which predates Adam and Eve and even the creation of the Earth.
Well, I'm a Jew...So, you'll have to pull from this: - The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that, I've never met a Jewish Miryam.
Are you being sardonic?...

Quote:
John 2:6 "Now standing there were six stone water jars for Jewish rites of Purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons."

Is that not ritual holy water? I can keep going but it's a little slow typing in all of the Gospel.
No...It is not holy water, it was just for washing...That is all...You are thinking RCC and blessed water...

It's kinda like when you go camping, you set aside water for washing, drinking, etc...

Quote:
I have to look for the line where a Pharisee accuses the Christ of Blashpeme for the incident at Cana. Do you really want me to find it? It is something like, "we heard what you did at Cana...etc.."
Yea...I challenge you to find it...

Quote:
Hmmmm...observant is a maybe. However, the Christ predates creation as is noted in John. I'm curious what religion are you?
Mat 1:19 and Joseph her husband being righteous...

It doesn't say he predates creation...G-d created everything on the first day and then set everything into place accordingly...

I'm a Jew...

Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:

There are many 'beginnings'

Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 PM

197 posts, read 208,271 times
Quote:
No...Yeshua was not G-d...Nor did he claim ever to be G-d...
This is false. The very first lines of Johns Gospel declare the that the Word is God:

John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

And then

John 1:14-15
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 John *testified about Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’”

So the Word was God, and the Word was made flesh. Therefore Yeshua was God int he flesh.

John 8:58 - Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM.”

I AM is the divine name of the eternal God, Yahweh. He declares He existed before even the father of Hebrews was born.

Quote:
No, Miryam was not sinless...

What do you mean "Miryam conceived without sin"?...
The Living Tabernacle of the Living God was Miriyam, who conceived of the Holy Spirit and gave birth to the Word made flesh. Her immaculate conception is Catholic tradition, and unfortunately Satan will do anything to discredit her because he will ultimately be defeated by her. , but of course, you can always pray the rosary and ask her yourself.

Quote:
Word made flesh?...You do not understand Metaphors, do you?...
I understand metaphors. This is not one of them. The Gospel of John is quite clear about the divine nature of Yeshua, the Son of the Father. They are one, one nature, one divine God, in three essences. The Bible is actually more literal than even most Christians proclaim.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:25 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Jesus was just another human, with faults and failings, who became a celeb among his followers. Once he died he stayed dead, imo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality