Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,127,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Are you dissing the source or the contents and facts contained therein?
Been there done that...I read through that website years ago...It is a website to promote Atheism...A lot of misunderstanding in there, probably because the author of most of the articles is getting his information from a poorly translated Old Testament...However, to him it is evil because our society's values have changed, 200 years ago in our country it was common to own slaves, not many people had issues with it, but now our minds have changed and we do not believe one human should own another human, WE think it is wrong, today...WE decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong and those that don't believe as the majority WE deem as mentally unstable...

As far as facts contained therein, they are only FACTS as the author of the website sees them, not necessarily concrete facts...Today, we think it is horrible to put a fifteen or sixteen year old in BDU's and send him off to fight, yet it was not uncommon during the Civil war or Revolutionary War...

In about another 20 to 50 years it will be unheard of to have issues with homosexuality...And anyone that does will be deemed mentally unstable...

Today, you are mentally unstable for corporeally disciplining your child, 50 years ago you were deemed mentally unstable if you didn't and were thought of as not caring about your child enough to discipline him...

Societal values change all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, there is. Read it again.
I don't need to read it again, I posted it above...Show me the word slavery...

Deut. 5:21And you said, "Behold, the Lord, our God, has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we saw this day that God speaks with man, yet [man] remains alive.

Where is the word slavery in there?...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
From your link (and there is plenty more)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Is NLT a Christian bible? If so, don't you think it is important to make sure they translated correctly. (It seems to me that the children of the Hebrews (Jews) often state that Christians bend the translations to suit their own agenda) Perhaps when Atheists then take Christian translations as 'gospel' they buy into the Christian agenda?

Apart from that, if Hebrews treated their slaves differently than their neighbors, is it any wonder Jesus came along to attempt to correct the behavior.

Do you or don't you think that treating people as equals is a good thing?
I guess he didn't read the data that I shared...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good call, Rotagiven. The point is that there were two standards for slavery in the OT and these people only want us to look at the more humane one.
it's "RotagivAn...Navigator spelled backwards...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagivan;40349828[b
]... Or shut the Up. [/b]
roflmfao!!!...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Loving God should not be a problem for some one that does not believe.
It should be a non issue .
But if you hate God, I can see that as an issue, which actually implies that you believe He is real, but you don't believe He deserves the respect. taking Satan's stance as it were.
Hate on principle.

Condemning idols is more than what may appear as jealousy, but as embracing the truth , there is no other GOD , and idols are man made objects to represent something in place of the only "Eternal God".

Jesus said that every one of us will be giving account for all our conversations, even idle conversation...

God knows our thoughts and the deep portions of your heart/mind, and the disrespect with which one expresses them self to others regarding God or their fellow man. Jesus said "it's what comes out of your mouth that corrupts you".

Remembering that God created the heavens and the earth ,keeps things in perspective . setting a day aside in reverence to that fact Keeps God in the picture on a regular basis.

Honor to parents may be difficult for some of you being rebellious any way and parents being rebellious as well , but the value of realizing that you need to be there for them just as they were there for you and their family before .
Family support structure maintains the education on how to live and share knowledge and advance as a culture. The break down of this is the result of what we are seeing now days.

God did not kill Cain for killing Able, but He put a mark on his head to warn others not to take vengeance on him. Those laws had not yet been established .
But he understood that under normal circumstances he should have been judged by every one.
Murder though serious, Is no less serious as any other law of the 10.

God established marriage man and woman that they should be one flesh, much like welding 2 pieces of metal together the molecular bond is permanent , People become entangled in one another emotionally physically and chemically .
because you abuse it ,does not negate the value.
A man that has sex with another man's wife, is forcing her husband into a homosexual relationship because she is still a real part of her living husband.
Women do not produce living seed, they provide a survival atmosphere for the man's sperm to thrive on and develop in the egg and womb .
She is not with out influence , her emotion and chemistry has significant influence on the development as well .

Not stealing covers a lot of territory including the taking of some one's life or means of survival even their identity ,taking any thing that clearly does not belong to you, that you were not honestly by it's owner given, nor did you earn.
Having integrity among others. respectability.

God values the truth over every thing, because He knows the truth, and knowing your heart and any deception one might attempt, puts one at odds with God.
So even false claims, though noble, are a judgment against some one doing so. Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Being obsessed over something that clearly is not yours, which is in the possession of some one with no intention of loosing interest , leads to trouble .
Though this is purely a thought process; it steals from clear thinking, and rational judgments.
Jesus said, to lust after a woman, one was committing adultery in their heart.
God sees from the inside.
Be it a woman or a thing ,if your priorities are warped ,God has no influence in you.
Neither do you have any influence with Him.

Jesus provided me with the Holy Spirit, to teach me His will .
I am no puppet, nor do I operate God,
We cooperate.
I need His guidance to know how to effectively love my neighbor, and do things guided from HIS PERSPECTIVE, NOT MINE.
God may select a given path for the moment, but it's not necessarily "the" path for a lifetime.
The bible is not the end of God's influence ,only a corrupted mind would tell you that the bible is all God has to say.
It's not found in books nor academics but a walking obedient relationship .
God has all the answers, and He knows how much can be absorbed and how much that one can be trusted, per each individual.
He is the best friend a man can find.
What does all this have to do with slavery in the Bible?...

Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,954,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I don't need to read it again, I posted it above...Show me the word slavery...

Deut. 5:21And you said, "Behold, the Lord, our God, has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we saw this day that God speaks with man, yet [man] remains alive.

Where is the word slavery in there?...
Where are you getting that from????

Deuteronomy 5:21

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=CEV

Note the word SLAVE in the second reference.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:46 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,797,796 times
Quote:
Where are you getting that from????

Deuteronomy 5:21

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=CEV

Note the word SLAVE in the second reference.
He is referencing an English translation of the Tanakh. Devarim 5:18 maps to Deuteronomy 5:21. Probably trying to argue that any religious argument that references the Christian OT is automatically wrong because it is not referencing the "real" word of "G_d".

In other words, substanceless semantic quibbling...

-NoCapo

Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,954,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
He is referencing an English translation of the Tanakh. Devarim 5:18 maps to Deuteronomy 5:21. Probably trying to argue that any religious argument that references the Christian OT is automatically wrong because it is not referencing the "real" word of "G_d".

In other words, substanceless semantic quibbling...

-NoCapo
Oh, an obfuscator!

Seems many religious folks excel in that. Why be clear if we can muddle things up, right?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,967,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good call, Rotagiven. The point is that there were two standards for slavery in the OT and these people only want us to look at the more humane one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
it's "RotagivAn...Navigator spelled backwards...
Thank you, and was this person, however spelled, correct that there are two standards for treatment of slaves in Tanakh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality