Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,537,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I am one of those folks who doesn't see the world as black or white...where it can only be God or Science... and whether man created God or not is inconsequential to me...because I believe, that beleif gives me something to root my feelings and fears in.

To explain the unexplained, some of the most intellegent men in history turned to God and Science for knowledge...Men like Plato and Socrates and Einstein. Since humans began thinking rational, intellegent thoughts, he began thinking "Why am I here & how did it happen?"

do i get this right: he - who? Q - A? LOL?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,993,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Aren't you mixing your prophecies? I thought the 200 gazillion (hyperbole) men is mentioned in Revelations not Ezekiel.

Edited to add:

Sorry ptsum, I'll get back on topic.
Both prophecies speak of the time of the end, so there is no mixing prophecies. The prophecies both speak of the same events, and in fact, unless you consider all the prophecies together, you will only understand one part of the puzzle.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Get down off your soapbox and take your preaching about the prophecies somewhere else, personally I don't care whether you believe it's true or not, this thread was never intended for anything to do with prophecies, it is an attempt at an intelligent discussion as to whether the existence of a God is a creation of man or not, has absolutely nothing to do with your holy book or anyone's holy book, the topic of prophecies was never brought up until you decided to stand up on your soapbox and start preaching about them, which seems to be the case in every single thread that you happen to insert yourself in, quit going around like a horse with blinders on, you're prophecies preaching is off-topic in this thread and if that is the only thing that you can preach about go somewhere else and let the rest of us intelligent individuals have a decent and enlightening conversation about the existence of a God.
Post 1 Ptsum, Lets be respectful of everyone's opinion and thoughts here.
Post 3 Ptsum, Everyones opinion is welcomed here. Just keep it respectful.
Post 18 Ptsum, I respect those who believe the Bible.
Post 20 Ptsum, Everyones opinion is welcomed here. Let's just keep it respectful.
Post 40 We should use our minds in an uninhibited way. We need to think outside the box, and be respectful of others opinions.

Ptsum-(Campbell34) Get off your soap box and take your preaching about the prophecies somewhere else.
Quit going around like a horse with blinders on.
And if that is the only thing you can preach about go somewhere else and let the rest of us intelligent individuals have a decent and enlightening conversation about the existance of God.

Oh, and don't forget Ptsum, be respectful of others, and lets use our minds in an uninhibited way. And don't forget about thinking outside the box.
Oh yeah, be respectful of others. LOL

Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,030,499 times
I would say that god is more a creation of humanity. People used to use Poseidon which 'explained' why the sea did what it did, Thor for thunder and Demeter for agriculture. Science has closed those gaps by giving natural explanations for why the world works. The only gap left is the origin of the universe and someday science will close that gap to.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,143,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
do i get this right: he - who? Q - A? LOL?

are you trying to humiliate me or do you have a point?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,689,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Post 1 Ptsum, Lets be respectful of everyone's opinion and thoughts here.
Post 3 Ptsum, Everyones opinion is welcomed here. Just keep it respectful.
Post 18 Ptsum, I respect those who believe the Bible.
Post 20 Ptsum, Everyones opinion is welcomed here. Let's just keep it respectful.
Post 40 We should use our minds in an uninhibited way. We need to think outside the box, and be respectful of others opinions.

Ptsum-(Campbell34) Get off your soap box and take your preaching about the prophecies somewhere else.
Quit going around like a horse with blinders on.
And if that is the only thing you can preach about go somewhere else and let the rest of us intelligent individuals have a decent and enlightening conversation about the existance of God.

Oh, and don't forget Ptsum, be respectful of others, and lets use our minds in an uninhibited way. And don't forget about thinking outside the box.
Oh yeah, be respectful of others. LOL
So Campbell, you have anything to add to this in an intelligent manner other than prophecies, why don't you think outside the box and why don't you think it is possible that religion in and of itself is not an invention by man, look at the history of mankind, individuals in certain societies have decided to put themselves above all others and in so doing has had to use some sort on explainable deity in order to control the masses , hence the invention of a God and in order to back up the existence of this so-called deity they took and put a bunch of stories together to back up the existence of that deity and called it sacred, and if any one of the masses decided to think for themselves and question the existence of that deity, they were called a heretic and put to death by those in power and used as an example to the others to keep them in line, that's why man created God and God didn't create man.

Now,I suppose at this point you're thinking that I'm going to go to hell for this heresy that I'm speaking, well that would be fine except for the fact that I don't believe in heaven or hell and I don't believe in your sacred book or any sacred book, so there's no chance that I'm going to go to either one of those places since I don't believe in them.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
are you trying to humiliate me or do you have a point?

pocono, why should and how could i humiliate you?

but i did feel moved (or motioned?) to ask if it is really God doing the asking..

And since in my "first" language (in this lifetime) asking means both questioning and "begging" (bitten), i chose to .... your guess!!

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-31-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: a point?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So Campbell, you have anything to add to this in an intelligent manner other than prophecies, why don't you think outside the box and why don't you think it is possible that religion in and of itself is not an invention by man, look at the history of mankind, individuals in certain societies have decided to put themselves above all others and in so doing has had to use some sort on explainable deity in order to control the masses , hence the invention of a God and in order to back up the existence of this so-called deity they took and put a bunch of stories together to back up the existence of that deity and called it sacred, and if any one of the masses decided to think for themselves and question the existence of that deity, they were called a heretic and put to death by those in power and used as an example to the others to keep them in line, that's why man created God and God didn't create man.

Now,I suppose at this point you're thinking that I'm going to go to hell for this heresy that I'm speaking, well that would be fine except for the fact that I don't believe in heaven or hell and I don't believe in your sacred book or any sacred book, so there's no chance that I'm going to go to either one of those places since I don't believe in them.
Well back during World War II there were certain people who did not believe in Hitlers death camps, yet when they finally arrived at one, the true existance of such camps was realized. Yet sadly for many, that reality came to late. And in the end, their fate was really determined by what was true, and not by what they had orginally believed.

And I do believe much of religion is manufactured by man, and is used to control others. Jesus even warns of vain religion. Yet mans involovement in religion should not side track us from a faith that is true.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well back during World War II there were certain people who did not believe in Hitlers death camps, yet when they finally arrived at one, the true existance of such camps was realized. Yet sadly for many, that reality came to late. And in the end, their fate was really determined by what was true, and not by what they had orginally believed.

And I do believe much of religion is manufactured by man, and is used to control others. Jesus even warns of vain religion. Yet mans involovement in religion should not side track us from a faith that is true.

Campbell, clinging to faith and not being able to translate it into everyday language, i.e. practical terms, is precisely what we are trying to get to here, so what is it that makes you appear so obstructive?

And - can only speak for myself - trigger perhaps inappropriate (to you) responses?

Peace. Pretty-please!

p.s. i i may have got a more valid reason to argue H***** and WW2 - when unavoidable!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,799 times
Religion / God, IMHO, is the result of society becoming more structured, advanced and civilised. It served as an "unseen policeman" that prevented us from stealing, raping and murdering as we pleased. Enter religion. This now preys on your concience, making you feel "bad" if you do a "wrong" deed. Due to religion you become Judge, Jury, and Executioner in your own crime. Look at any modern country's laws, and compare it with the 10 commandments...

Due to the general society moving away from religion we once again see a rise in crime and "barbarism" - this is due to the selfishness of modern man that places himself and his needs ahead of everybody else's needs. We rely on the police and judicial system to keep society safe and structured - a far less effective way than each and every person relying on his/her concience to do the same!

I'm realistic. I do NOT believe in the existance of god(s) - even though I was raised in a Christian home. Paradoxically I raise my child as a Christian. It simply manifests my believe that religion is an evelutionary expression of intellectual development. Were better off with it than without it. What we dont need (or want) is religious fanatics quoting from the bible (which is a man made "how to" guide, after all!) as if it represents some unseen higher power. Faith/religion is a very powerful tool for unlocking personal abilities. That may explain the level of success frequently enjoyed by believers. They are at peace with themselves, at peace with their surroundings, at peace with their fellow beings. That resulsts in a reduction of stress, which in turn has a positive influence on productivity and general wellbeing.

Man created God, just like we created Art, or Music, or any other expression of our superior intellect. As such, a believe in God should be respected, as Believers in God should be respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality