Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Apparently its all part of the bigger plan that is too complex for mere mortals to understand...or something.
"God works in mysterious ways". That was why my parents would say when they couldn't answer my question, which meant I lost the argument.

I never understood why African Americans in the U.S. embrace Christianity so much when it was force on them in the past by slave owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMeetAgain View Post
I would hardly call Egypt and other parts of northeastern Africa (Read: Ethiopia) 'throughout the African continent.' Judaism perhaps and definitely Islam because of their own slave trade in the area, but not Christianity in any great numbers.
Oh geez, you know Christians do more than just read the bible for knowledge sometimes.

I'm not quoting the text about Ethiopia or other North African accounts in the bible.

I'm talking about things like the entire Kingdom of the Kongo along central Western Africa not just having "some Christians" but becoming an entire Christian Kingdom in 1490. There are also documented Christians (some being rulers and "kings" even) in Benin and Mutapa which are located along the "slave trade" route.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
"God works in mysterious ways". That was why my parents would say when they couldn't answer my question, which meant I lost the argument.

I never understood why African Americans in the U.S. embrace Christianity so much when it was force on them in the past by slave owners.
#1 is not in scripture and #2 is not true. (I'm sure there were some exceptions though.)

Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
He parts the seas to let the slaves leave Eqypt, but allows slave ships to bring Africans to America to be used as slaves. What gives?
But now He/She/It/They use organized religion to enslave the mind for all belieiers equally. Equality takes time.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 5,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh geez, you know Christians do more than just read the bible for knowledge sometimes.

I'm not quoting the text about Ethiopia or other North African accounts in the bible.

I'm talking about things like the entire Kingdom of the Kongo along central Western Africa not just having "some Christians" but becoming an entire Christian Kingdom in 1490. There are also documented Christians (some being rulers and "kings" even) in Benin and Mutapa which are located along the "slave trade" route.
The impression I got initially was that other areas of Africa was already saturated with Christianity from ages before which is what I was debating. These areas were not historically "Christian" like say, Egypt and Ethiopia, countries that already had strong Christian ties centuries before. Christianity to the area (west and west central Africa) and subsequent slavery appeared almost simultaneously. The Portuguese came with Christianity in the late 1400s and yes, there were converts including one king but his people resisted his attempts to convert them. Within about 50 years, the Portuguese started trading for slaves from the same area.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 AM

Location: Boy, giraffes are selfish, just runnin’ around looking out for number one.
105 posts, read 342,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
He parts the seas to let the slaves leave Eqypt, but allows slave ships to bring Africans to America to be used as slaves. What gives?
The Bible includes instructions for how to treat your slaves. So, either he was playing favorites, or he didn't really part the Red Sea.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMeetAgain View Post
The impression I got initially was that other areas of Africa was already saturated with Christianity from ages before which is what I was debating. These areas were not historically "Christian" like say, Egypt and Ethiopia, countries that already had strong Christian ties centuries before. Christianity to the area (west and west central Africa) and subsequent slavery appeared almost simultaneously. The Portuguese came with Christianity in the late 1400s and yes, there were converts including one king but his people resisted his attempts to convert them. Within about 50 years, the Portuguese started trading for slaves from the same area.
Go deeper than Wikipedia and the first two pages of Google.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Apparently its all part of the bigger plan that is too complex for mere mortals to understand...or something.
It does appear that way. The proof is this thread!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
The Bible includes instructions for how to treat your slaves. So, either he was playing favorites, or he didn't really part the Red Sea.
Were there and are there slaves in the world? Yes or no?

Okay, so we understand there are.

What is the bible/God supposed to do, not address it or them?

Does this sound like the "slave owners" you know of or were taught?

"Phm 1:15 Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good–

Phm 1:16 no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord."

Embrace him as a dear brother? What's that all about?

Sounds better than many fathers talk to their own kids these days.

P.S. "Slaves" as addressed in the text was for the majority of the time a voluntary thing. Indentured servants was the norm of the day then. Ever hear of "selling yourself into slavery"? You get the idea then.

The word used for slave is doulos and means "a slave, bondman, man of servile condition, a servant, attendant"

Not someone captured and tortured into servitude.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Location: Boy, giraffes are selfish, just runnin’ around looking out for number one.
105 posts, read 342,355 times
Quote:
Were there and are there slaves in the world? Yes or no?

Okay, so we understand there are.

What is the bible/God supposed to do, not address it or them?
The bible could have condemned slavery.

Quote:
Does this sound like the "slave owners" you know of or were taught?

"Phm 1:15 Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good–

Phm 1:16 no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord."

Embrace him as a dear brother? What's that all about?

Sounds better than many fathers talk to their own kids these days.
No, of course not, but that's hardly all of the text that mentions slaves or the treatment of them.

Quote:
P.S. "Slaves" as addressed in the text was for the majority of the time a voluntary thing. Indentured servants was the norm of the day then. Ever hear of "selling yourself into slavery"? You get the idea then.

The word used for slave is doulos and means "a slave, bondman, man of servile condition, a servant, attendant"

Not someone captured and tortured into servitude.
That may be true, or partially true. People who take the Bible as the literal word of God and error free would have a good arugement for slavery. I imagine this is what slave owners in the south used it for.

Here are just a few other passages about slavery from the Bible that aren't so warm and fuzzy as the ones you quoted.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality