Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I draw the distinction between luxury and necessity. A cab driver provides a needed service that can cause harm if not fulfilled. So does a doctor or a plumber. A Christian baker is providing a luxury. The only harm is inconvenience and someone being offended.

I wouldn't support a Christian doctor or plumber refuses service to a gay person either. That is morally wrong in those circumstances.
I'm so happy to see that your religious "faith" depends on the job you take. A "needed" service gets an "indulgence" from your fundamentalism.

Your hypocrisy is astounding!!! I'm beginning to see from these repetitious posts that you are not very mature, not matter what your age.

By the way, from the half dozen times or more that I've shown homosexuality as clearly evidenced in the animal kingdom, when do you think animals "chose" to be engaged in their "lifestyle?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
I draw the distinction between luxury and necessity. A cab driver provides a needed service that can cause harm if not fulfilled. So does a doctor or a plumber. A Christian baker is providing a luxury. The only harm is inconvenience and someone being offended.

I wouldn't support a Christian doctor or plumber refuses service to a gay person either. That is morally wrong in those circumstances.
And again, you're rationalizing discrimination.

'It's okay if a Christan baker refuses to serve a same-sex couple, but God's wrath will be on a Christian who refuses to fix a pipe for them'.

It's not about 'harm', Jeff. It's about meeting the requirements of the job for which you are being paid.

The bakers aren't being paid to refuse to bake a cake. The county clerk is not being paid to refuse to perform her duties as a government employee.

Like it or not, Jeff, the law applies to everyone, and in both of the above cases, the persons involved broke the law.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
The appeals court has affirmed the lower court ruling. It would appear that the clerk will have to make a choice very soon. She can comply. She can be held in contempt of court. She can resign. She can appeal to the Supreme Court.

I think she will threaten to appeal to the Supreme Court until she finds out how expensive that will be and how long it will take. Then she'll follow the law. (Just my guess.)

Rowan County, Ky. Clerk Ordered To Issue Marriage Licenses Again

Old 08-26-2015, 05:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The appeals court has affirmed the lower court ruling. It would appear that the clerk will have to make a choice very soon. She can comply. She can be held in contempt of court. She can resign. She can appeal to the Supreme Court.

I think she will threaten to appeal to the Supreme Court until she finds out how expensive that will be and how long it will take. Then she'll follow the law. (Just my guess.)

Rowan County, Ky. Clerk Ordered To Issue Marriage Licenses Again
I'm sure there's a plethora of Jeffs around that contribute to her defense fun. Right Jeff?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'm sure there's a plethora of Jeffs around that contribute to her defense fun. Right Jeff?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
And again, you're rationalizing discrimination.

'It's okay if a Christan baker refuses to serve a same-sex couple, but God's wrath will be on a Christian who refuses to fix a pipe for them'.

It's not about 'harm', Jeff. It's about meeting the requirements of the job for which you are being paid.

The bakers aren't being paid to refuse to bake a cake. The county clerk is not being paid to refuse to perform her duties as a government employee.

Like it or not, Jeff, the law applies to everyone, and in both of the above cases, the persons involved broke the law.
And again, you refuse to acknowledge that this is a conflict of discrimination vs freedom of religion. I simply don't believe freedom of religion should ALWAYS yield to freedom from discrimination. With your mentality, you would have absolutely no problem with FORCING pastors to marry gays or accept gays as church members. Otherwise it's discrimination! After all if we are talking about absolute elimination of discrimination in all facets of life then why would you be opposed to that?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm so happy to see that your religious "faith" depends on the job you take. A "needed" service gets an "indulgence" from your fundamentalism.

Your hypocrisy is astounding!!! I'm beginning to see from these repetitious posts that you are not very mature, not matter what your age.

By the way, from the half dozen times or more that I've shown homosexuality as clearly evidenced in the animal kingdom, when do you think animals "chose" to be engaged in their "lifestyle?"
Calling me a hypocrite or immature is pointless and irrelevant. Just another typical superiority tactic. But if you want to play that game, I think it is a great example of immaturity to stomp your feet and throw a tantrum because you just can't stand that someone doesn't agree with you. Maturity is being able to consume a difference of opinion yet still maintain a level of respect to the opposing party.

As for the animal kingdom, if you are going to use them as an example then I guess it's nature for parents to eat their young like animals do, right?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Quote:
And again, you refuse to acknowledge that this is a conflict of discrimination vs freedom of religion. I simply don't believe freedom of religion should ALWAYS yield to freedom from discrimination. With your mentality, you would have absolutely no problem with FORCING pastors to marry gays or accept gays as church members. Otherwise it's discrimination! After all if we are talking about absolute elimination of discrimination in all facets of life then why would you be opposed to that?
Quote:
Calling me a hypocrite or immature is pointless and irrelevant. Just another typical superiority tactic. But if you want to play that game, I think it is a great example of immaturity to stomp your feet and throw a tantrum because you just can't stand that someone doesn't agree with you. Maturity is being able to consume a difference of opinion yet still maintain a level of respect to the opposing party.

As for the animal kingdom, if you are going to use them as an example then I guess it's nature for parents to eat their young like animals do, right?
If your faith requires you to hate someone, your faith is wrong.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
This is all so messed up. Worst of all, tax money is being spent on all of it! Too bad they can't do something productive for society with that money...instead of fight over dumb stuff.

It seems that "conscientious objection" is only supported if the judge happens to feel they also disagree with what is being objected to. I guess some are of the OPINION (because that is all the basis behind any law ever is--the opinion of whoever drafts or supports it) that Military Service is okay to object to...but not homosexuality.

This is what you get when a society creates too many laws, regulations, and ordinances.
We have one Rule (#14) that says the law is equal for everyone...then another rule (#1) that says the government isn't supposed to make any law that prohibits the free exercise of religious beliefs.
But the government keeps violating their own rule and keep forming legal opinions about the free exercise of religion. So, we then make annnnnnnother law that allows for "conscientious objection"...and then more laws about when that is or isn't applicable, and more laws about the laws that are relative to the other laws, and what exceptions there are to those laws! It's all just to create high paying jobs for people to mess with other people.
We need to get rid of about 95% of the laws, regulations, and ordinances...and the people who make them, in my OPINION.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
If your faith requires you to hate someone, your faith is wrong.
Amen! This is so obvious and simple that it is a puzzle why it is not better understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality