Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The only reason why she wasn't resigning is because she wanted to deliberately act as a barrier between gays and their right to marry. In her mind, religion isn't a personal choice. It is the foundation of her fascism whereby everyone, regardless of their beliefs, must obey HER interpretation of the Bible.
Other Christians have done their jobs despite personal opposition to SSM, not least 5 of her 6 deputy clerks and the judge who threw her in jail. Given that her Apostolic dogma is particularly inflexible on this point, I strongly suspect that the reason she is unwilling to use that front door to solve her problem by resigning, is that she doesn't want to give up the gravy train nor the family tradition. Her mother had the job before her and her son (one of her deputies and the only holdout not issuing marriage licenses) is being groomed to have it after her. This is an elected position technically but something about how the elections work renders the incumbent equivalent to a permanently appointed bureaucrat. And a decently paid one, at $80K per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I'm a Christian and I think it is stupid not to support SSM.

You may have said the words (Lord Jesus Christ I accept you as my Lord and Savior). You may even have been dunked at some point. But, Jeff, you are a Christian in name only. You do not commune with God and He doesn't commune with you. You are not filled with the Holy Spirit. You are not following the teachings of Christ. If you were, you would be very different. We all could see God in your life, if He were there. You can protest all you want that you know God and that you follow Jesus, but you don't. You think you are doing God's work, but you haven't discussed it with God. If you had, God would have put peace and understanding in your heart. Communing with God is the most wonderful, glorious thing I have ever done. Once it happens to you, you will know it. You will not mistake it. Others can see it in you. It is powerful and life-changing. We don't see it in you, Jeff. We don't see God in you, Jeff. You have put blinders on and ear plugs, too. Your soul is so filled with the weeds of the Anti-Christ, they have strangled out the flowers of God.

I know you are feeling battered, bullied, and defensive. Now, it has just become you (and a small handful of others) against a multitude and you think you must defend your position. I am not asking you to embrace homosexuals or SSM. You don't have to like anybody you don't want to and you don't have to interact with anybody you don't want. I am asking you to take a deep breath, step away from your anger for a few minutes, and embrace God. Commune (that is a two way street) with God.

You have rejected God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit for the teachings, doctrine, and dogma of some church. You have put your faith in church, not in God. They are not the same thing. Today, many churches are the Anti-Christ and their members are no better. The Anti-Christ is very smart and has roped you into his fold. Give yourself back to God. The Bible tells us that God's light shines through us. Jeff, you do not have the light of God. Don't be a Christian in name only. God is waiting for you.
Even as a non believer I can only hope that Jeff reads your thoughtful post and reflects upon himself and why he feels the way he does. Thank you for taking the time to make such a clear case for what you believe and why. Unfortunately I think Jeff will just take it as another attack on Christianity and Christians. Thankfully the world has more Ellas than Jeffs.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Other Christians have done their jobs despite personal opposition to SSM, not least 5 of her 6 deputy clerks and the judge who threw her in jail. Given that her Apostolic dogma is particularly inflexible on this point, I strongly suspect that the reason she is unwilling to use that front door to solve her problem by resigning, is that she doesn't want to give up the gravy train nor the family tradition. Her mother had the job before her and her son (one of her deputies and the only holdout not issuing marriage licenses) is being groomed to have it after her. This is an elected position technically but something about how the elections work renders the incumbent equivalent to a permanently appointed bureaucrat. And a decently paid one, at $80K per year.
Yeah, now that I know she was getting paid $80K per year, the motive suddenly becomes clear.

I've always found it interesting how the religious right, which worships the free market, capitalism, and greed almost as much as God, are usually unwilling to make an economic sacrifice in order to maintain their supposedly "sincerely" held beliefs.

No doubt this clerk thought she could continue her easy ride on the bureaucratic gravy train while simultaneously inflicting her fanaticism onto the rest of society.

"I'm not going to do my job, but I still expect my $80K per year. Why? Because of my religion, that's why!"

Old 09-07-2015, 12:00 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times

Cat

Old 09-07-2015, 12:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
I am applying to the local church as a position as pastor. If they refuse to hire me because I do not adhere to their theology (because it is against MY religion) can I sue?

Old 09-07-2015, 12:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I'm a Christian and I think it is stupid not to support SSM.

You may have said the words (Lord Jesus Christ I accept you as my Lord and Savior). You may even have been dunked at some point. But, Jeff, you are a Christian in name only. You do not commune with God and He doesn't commune with you. You are not filled with the Holy Spirit. You are not following the teachings of Christ. If you were, you would be very different. We all could see God in your life, if He were there. You can protest all you want that you know God and that you follow Jesus, but you don't. You think you are doing God's work, but you haven't discussed it with God. If you had, God would have put peace and understanding in your heart. Communing with God is the most wonderful, glorious thing I have ever done. Once it happens to you, you will know it. You will not mistake it. Others can see it in you. It is powerful and life-changing. We don't see it in you, Jeff. We don't see God in you, Jeff. You have put blinders on and ear plugs, too. Your soul is so filled with the weeds of the Anti-Christ, they have strangled out the flowers of God.

I know you are feeling battered, bullied, and defensive. Now, it has just become you (and a small handful of others) against a multitude and you think you must defend your position. I am not asking you to embrace homosexuals or SSM. You don't have to like anybody you don't want to and you don't have to interact with anybody you don't want. I am asking you to take a deep breath, step away from your anger for a few minutes, and embrace God. Commune (that is a two way street) with God.

You have rejected God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit for the teachings, doctrine, and dogma of some church. You have put your faith in church, not in God. They are not the same thing. Today, many churches are the Anti-Christ and their members are no better. The Anti-Christ is very smart and has roped you into his fold. Give yourself back to God. The Bible tells us that God's light shines through us. Jeff, you do not have the light of God. Don't be a Christian in name only. God is waiting for you.
Fine post, Ella. Hope it makes a dent.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Even as a non believer I can only hope that Jeff reads your thoughtful post and reflects upon himself and why he feels the way he does. Thank you for taking the time to make such a clear case for what you believe and why. Unfortunately I think Jeff will just take it as another attack on Christianity and Christians.

That was an extraordinary post, just exactly what Jeff most needed to hear. Which is exactly why he will reject it and/or attack it.

Quote:
Thankfully the world has more Ellas than Jeffs.
But unfortunately, the Jeffs are much louder than the Ellas, and by their very nature work much harder at forcing their views on people who don't agree with them.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:23 PM

874 posts, read 636,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Jeff, this is a post that could change your life. I urge you to read it and think about what Ella is saying. Anger destroys. Fundamentalist beliefs fill people with anger. This is the way out of that anger.

(Awesome post, Ella. )
Thanks, DewDrop. Finding God is so important. We all have trounced on Jeff - I included. Jesus tells us that to stand in the way of another getting to God is a terrible thing. I realized I was standing in Jeff's way. So, I tried to clear a path. It probably won't do any good. Some people are not ready. Some people are designed to be the Anti-Christ. I can not call myself a Christian and not try to help another. I can't have him on my conscience as I bow my head to pray.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
I finally AGREE with Kim Davis..LETS ALL FOLLOW GOD'S LAW on this one!!

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

ROMANS 13:1

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM

874 posts, read 636,940 times
Quote:
Even as a non believer I can only hope that Jeff reads your thoughtful post and reflects upon himself and why he feels the way he does. Thank you for taking the time to make such a clear case for what you believe and why. Unfortunately I think Jeff will just take it as another attack on Christianity and Christians. Thankfully the world has more Ellas than Jeffs.
Thank you, Badlander. I appreciate your accepting my point of view for another Christian, even though you are a non-believer. I think what is in our hearts tells the most about us. I think you have a good and compassionate heart. I just hope Jeff can find his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality