Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 PM

874 posts, read 636,940 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Did something happen to the thread:

If Jesus is God, why did he say "the Father is greater than I?"

It was here. I went away. I came back. Mine is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
"The standoff in Kentucky, many law professors said, is reminiscent of the 1960s civil rights battles, with Ms. Davis in the role of George C. Wallace, the segregationist Alabama governor who stood in the doorway of the University of Alabama to block two black students from registering.
“In a way, she’s out George Wallace-ing George Wallace,” said Howard M. Wasserman, a law professor at Florida International University. “It does now feel like the civil rights era, with people ignoring court orders, taking a stand and being held in contempt.”

Clerk in Kentucky Chooses Jail Over Deal on Same-Sex Marriage
I remember that clearly. Old George made a big display of not letting N* in to the U of A. Thousands gathered. Old George marched up to the school house door and took a stance. The National Guard moved in, said one time, "come down from there". Old George folded like a paper hat. He make no argument, he said nothing. He just walked away. The white trash loved him and he was re-elected.

It was one of the best designed outdoor stage shows you will ever see. It was all hat and no cattle. Then, during the 1968 presidential election, Donald Trump .. er uh .. Old George took 2 bullets that severed his spinal cord and put him in a wheel chair. He was never the same. The Donald better watch his back. Politics are mean. Then a few years later he met with the Black Caucus and begged their forgiveness for his wicked ways. They forgave him and they elected him with 60% of their vote. sheesh!

Davis isn't nearly as smart as Old George, but I bet the GOP finds a way to use her.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Kim Davis pleads for Kentucky governor to free her from jail, gets denied - Orlando liberal | Examiner.com

Glad she now gets to experience what oppression feels like.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Would you take it kindly if a completely stranger just simply made up statements about your personal life and claimed them to be fact? Would you say wow, that's great advice? The only thing she is doing is using the same tactics that atheists use against me, but dressing it up in flowery spiritual language. I use the term "agents of Satan" to reference Satan using people to bring others down through such mechanisms like mockery and discouragement. They may not even believe in Satan, but they are still employed, none the less. Telling me things like I need education serves no purpose beyond trying to provoke antagonization. I've attempted many times to expose this tactic by showing how the flow of the conversation almost always and rapidly directs away from the original topic towards me personally. Your personal thoughts about me have no bearing on the topic of Kim Davis yet here again I am pressed into this defense.

The comparison to Jonestown is way out there. The mass suicide was more a product of brain washing via a closed off society and extreme peer pressure.
I am so sorry, Jeff. I didn't make anything up about your personal life. I just know what I see (or don't see) in you. I was (am) not trying to tear you down. I was (am) trying to lift you up and point to the mountain you must climb to find God. All of us who have found God, have climbed that mountain (metaphorically). The journey is well worth it. God is waiting for you. You must seek him out. Saying the words is not enough. You must feel Him; embrace Him; let Him embrace you. You must rejoice in Him. I think you want to, but you haven't been able to. If you think Satan is trying to push you toward God, you are further off the mark than I thought. And why wouldn't you want to hear spiritual language? Isn't that what it is all about?

Jeff, I am sorry you think everyone is out to get you. That is not true. Perhaps, it is just not your time yet. Perhaps you are needed right where you are for now. Perhaps you have a job to do. A passage comes to me from Exodus: "And God hardened Pharaoh's heart and he could not hear." God had bigger plans for Pharaoh. God has a bigger plan for us all. The best any of us can do is to pray and commune with God in the hopes that He will help us with His plan.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
The fact that I am so despised on this forum is proof alone that I speak the truth.
A nice bullet proof little narrative that. Tell yourself that people hating you makes you right, then go out of your way to be hated. Interesting approach and one that I genuinely have not seen before. However I am afraid I have to burst the bubble you have formed.

If people "despise" you as you imagine, and I do not think they do I think this mere hyperbole from you, then it is less to do with you being "right" and more to do with your consistent MOs on the forum like putting words in peoples mouth, ignoring their points and posts when they do not suit you, building up false narratives about whole groups, making one rule for you to follow and one rule for everyone else (like demanding everyone evidence their claims while never doing so yourself) and your perennial MO of claiming to have loads of evidence for things but then contriving never to offer any of it with some cop out excuse or other.

Any ONE of these things is enough to get a bad reputation and an erosion of all credibility. All of them together is not going to win you any support from anyone. But if despite all this you want to live in a narrative where peoples reactions to you is merely evidence of the truth of your words, then I can only wish you well enjoying this security blanket.

The simple fact on this thread however is that you have attempted to build a false narrative that A) This woman's job description was changed and B) That she is being wrongly persecuted for her faith. That is the essence of your entire diatribe on this thread. Yet neither part of it is true.

Firstly her job description has not changed. Her job is, was and always has been to process and issue government documents. Government documents are not a static entity. They are added to, removed from, and modified all the time. No one screams "Job description change" to the multitude of other changes that occur here. Yet suddenly when one single documents leaves a bad taste in her mouth, her whole job description is meant to have changed? Pull the other one son.

Secondly as I keep saying, peoples personal hobbies and what they do in their free time has nothing to do with their job. They leave that at the door when they go to their desk or workplace. If someones personal hobby or past time is impinging on their ability to do their job then the fault is with them, them and just them. Not with the government, the system, or some imaginary narrative you have going about christian persecution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Pew Research says that the number of Americans supporting SSM has risen steadily since they started tracking it in 2001.
But do not forget that in another thread Jeff found ONE random study on attitudes towards SSM was falsified, and declared in that thread that he therefore rejects all such research. But only, of course, if the research goes against his views. Otherwise THEN you have to take reach study on it's own merits and on a case by case basis.

I have said it before and I will say it many times again: One rule for him, one rule for everyone else.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:09 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
That's the first I've heard about the clerk being offered an accommodation. If that's true then I really don't support her actions since she has a way to not directly violate her beliefs. I don't think she is being reasonable by thinking her protest is going to force the Supreme Court to make a new ruling.
Let's not overlook this, After pages and pages, at least some of the truth of one aspect of this has finally gotten through.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Let's not overlook this, After pages and pages, at least some of the truth of one aspect of this has finally gotten through.
Let's not overlook this. After pages and pages of discussion, we discover that he's arguing his point without researching the facts of the case.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Let's not overlook this. After pages and pages of discussion, we discover that he's arguing his point without researching the facts of the case.

It's a philosophical question as old as humanity. What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
In an old song, it's an irresistible force and the answer is "Something's got to give"
For once, at least, the object 'gave'.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I remember that clearly. Old George made a big display of not letting N* in to the U of A. Thousands gathered. Old George marched up to the school house door and took a stance. The National Guard moved in, said one time, "come down from there". Old George folded like a paper hat. He make no argument, he said nothing. He just walked away. The white trash loved him and he was re-elected.

It was one of the best designed outdoor stage shows you will ever see. It was all hat and no cattle. Then, during the 1968 presidential election, Donald Trump .. er uh .. Old George took 2 bullets that severed his spinal cord and put him in a wheel chair. He was never the same. The Donald better watch his back. Politics are mean. Then a few years later he met with the Black Caucus and begged their forgiveness for his wicked ways. They forgave him and they elected him with 60% of their vote. sheesh!

Davis isn't nearly as smart as Old George, but I bet the GOP finds a way to use her.
Huckabee is having a rally at the jail to support her stand for "religious beliefs" today.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Huckabee is having a rally at the jail to support her stand for "religious beliefs" today.
Can't even come up with a comment that would pass TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality