Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 08:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So "reasonable accommodation" is the same thing as "bending over backwards"?

Wasn't it christians who pressed for "reasonable accommodation" in the first place????

Are you now opposed to "reasonable accommodation"? Because I have to say, when I was working, that while I didn't mind terribly covering for someone to go to good friday services, I would have preferred not to.
Do you honestly think if Kim Davis was a Muslim instead of a Christian, the government would have thrown her in jail? Not a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Or maybe the whole truth isn't being presented here. Even if another deputy issued the license, her signature was on it which is the same thing as endorsing an immoral and unGodly union. I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to issue a license under that circumstance.
Then she can resign. Her job as county clerk is to issue licenses.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The clerk is asking for religious accommodations just like Muslims because the courts FORCED her into a moral conflict which alone is awful. If I held a job for 27 years and suddenly a new ruling (ruling not law btw) demanded that I violate my beliefs or hit the road, I would fight back too. Marriage licenses is a small portion of her job duties so she is doing her job. Christians are getting really fed up with the gay agenda stomping on our religious freedoms.
She was OFFERED reasonable accommodations and REFUSED.

She is now asking for the laws for the entire state to be changed to accommodate her beliefs, that is not reasonable.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think if Kim Davis was a Muslim instead of a Christian, the government would have thrown her in jail? Not a chance.

The judge who ordered Kim Davis to jail is a Catholic who personally opposes SSM. If he's willing to put a fellow Christian in jail for refusing to obey his court order, why would he balk at putting a Muslim in jail for refusing to obey his court order?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Prove it. Show one case where a Muslim elected official was found in contempt of court and wasn't jailed.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Or maybe the whole truth isn't being presented here. Even if another deputy issued the license, her signature was on it which is the same thing as endorsing an immoral and unGodly union. I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to issue a license under that circumstance.
Not to worry. The governor of Kentucky said her signature is not needed, the licenses that were issued while she was sitting in the slammer are all valid and he will not be calling the legislature back in session to accommodate Ms Davis. The other clerks can continue issuing licenses to same-sex couples without Ms. Davis's A-OK.

She can go back to work tomorrow and all will be well. Unless she wants to play Special Snowflake some more and block the issuance of perfectly legal marriage licenses. In which case the judge will throw her back in jail for contempt of court and husband #4 can visit her wearing his bib overalls.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
So we are back to the compromise is that for gays to get a marriage license they have to go county to county looking for a clerk that might serve them. Great compromise. That is the same as a clerk getting a break to go into another room to pray. The county clerk due to her religious rights and freedom gets to decide who is good enough for her to provide a marriage license to. And if any deputy believes in ssm they cannot issue a license because they do not have that freedom. And yet the poster demanding that a county vlerk, paid by the government should be able to control her entire staff from doing their jobs and yet I read not a peep from him defending the Muslim flight attendant and her religious freedom, is it because she was not discriminating against gays or that she is not a fundamentalist Christian?

Her signature means that the people applying for the licenses are who they say they are, are entitled by law and paid the fee, no endorsement included. Nor would she be endorsing an addition with a building permit, parties with a liquor license or the keeping of animals with a dog tag..

To get the same treatment that the Muslims get this clerk should be slowed to go into another room while an application for SSM is made out, or the entire store has to close when the Muslims pray otherwise the only similarly is in both cases people follow a religion.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The judge who ordered Kim Davis to jail is a Catholic who personally opposes SSM. If he's willing to put a fellow Christian in jail for refusing to obey his court order, why would he balk at putting a Muslim in jail for refusing to obey his court order?
But is he a real Christian? Real Christians do not throw other Christians into jail for breaking the law or contempt of court. And there has never been a case of a Muslim being thrown into jail for breaking a law.

I thought earlier today he accepted that Davis had accommodation by allowing her deputies to issue the licenses but now he is doubling down and using examples of Muslims able to get a time out for pray as rational for an entire country to refuse a service.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
The smartest thing our Founding Fathers did was establish the separation of church and State or better said separation of State FROM church.

What you have seen throughout the history of the world when it comes to countries ruled by religion is nothing but oppression, hatred, violence and brutality and desecration against those who do not ascribe to the ruling religious beliefs.

Take a good look at all the turmoil in the Middle East if you want to see what religion does to countries that are ruled by it.

Take a look back at the Christian Crusades.

So thankful for the separation of State FROM church!!!

That fundy clerk deserves all that is coming to her for trying to take us back to the Witch Hunt days.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
You're still going on about this? Get a grip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality