Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not know the faith of my County Clerk, or any other public official for that matter. Do you?

It seems I will be asking if those future politicians will be following the law, or their personal choice of faith. I will cast my ballot with that information in mind.

As a Canadian I find the electing of officals doing what seems like public servants duties seems wierd. How do you campaign for the job, "unlike my opponent I will not have the forms printed double sided", "I pledge that if elected my deputy clerks will smile more often". I do not get it.

Regardless there must be more to fullfilling one's oath other than to not take part in a duel. When I worked for governments neither my religion nor my history of duels was ever asked. I do not even know the political leanings of my mayor or councillors as those are non partisan elected positions here. But I do expect when I walk into a civic, provincial or federal office that I am served by a public servant who does not use their religious or political views when serving me. Nor do I expect that same public servant will refuse to serve someone because they are gay, straight, religious or non religious.

This clerk was given the opportunity to allow any one of her deputies to serve the gay clients and she refused and the deputies stated that they were too afraid of her to comply with the law. She took away the legal rights from same sex couples and the legal rights and obligations from her clerks and forced her personal religious beliefs onto her staff. And when the judge used the law instead of his personal relgious convictions in a legal matter, it is viewed as an attack on Christians. This might be the worse of the defence of her, the attack on the judge for being anti Christian when he is personally a Christian who does not agree with SSM but for some reason still thinks that he should do the job he is paid to do. To me that is an attack on a Christian for following the law as the relgious think that the law is only there to keep non Christians in line with their beleifs but should not be used against them in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
So actually it is an argument against the people (majority of voters ) that put her there.
But, does the "majority" of voters represent the MAJORITY of the population? What percentage VOTED compared to the percentage of eligible voters?

If there were 30,000 eligible voters and only 5,000 voted, it is not a clear acceptance of any belief.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I quit posting in Great Debates because every post of mine would be deleted. Never could get a reason why. I was even banned for a while because of my screen name, same one I am using now.
Mensaguy posted a bit ago that the problem is corrected, so we don't have to speculate on the existential meaning of this particular disappearing post anymore.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
As a Canadian I find the electing of officals doing what seems like public servants duties seems wierd. How do you campaign for the job, "unlike my opponent I will not have the forms printed double sided", "I pledge that if elected my deputy clerks will smile more often". I do not get it.
You are right, there is not much room for differentiation for these low-level jobs. About all you can do is suggest that you'll be a bit faster, have slightly shorter lines, and yes, perhaps be more pleasant in doing your work, buff up the woodwork and dust things more often, whatever.

In this particular case it's a small / rural county where the same family has had someone(s) elected to these posts for the past couple of generations so there must be some kind of nudge-wink understanding that the job is your family's birthright so long as you don't tick off the constituents in some unspoken way. Right now Kim is the county clerk and her son is the deputy county clerk. Her mother had the job before her. So it goes.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:51 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
She is being released.....

No Uncle Sugar Circus. What is this world coming to?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Regardless there must be more to fullfilling one's oath other than to not take part in a duel. When I worked for governments neither my religion nor my history of duels was ever asked. I do not even know the political leanings of my mayor or councillors as those are non partisan elected positions here. But I do expect when I walk into a civic, provincial or federal office that I am served by a public servant who does not use their religious or political views when serving me. Nor do I expect that same public servant will refuse to serve someone because they are gay, straight, religious or non religious.

This clerk was given the opportunity to allow any one of her deputies to serve the gay clients and she refused and the deputies stated that they were too afraid of her to comply with the law. She took away the legal rights from same sex couples and the legal rights and obligations from her clerks and forced her personal religious beliefs onto her staff. And when the judge used the law instead of his personal relgious convictions in a legal matter, it is viewed as an attack on Christians. This might be the worse of the defence of her, the attack on the judge for being anti Christian when he is personally a Christian who does not agree with SSM but for some reason still thinks that he should do the job he is paid to do. To me that is an attack on a Christian for following the law as the relgious think that the law is only there to keep non Christians in line with their beleifs but should not be used against them in the same way.
I think she should be in the Civil Service system. Take tests, get promoted in grade, join a union.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:

No Uncle Sugar Circus. What is this world coming to?
Yep, she cracked under the pressure and agreed to the same accommodation that the judge offered her to start with.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
She'll be given rousing cheers when she appears before her adoring fans.

She'll like that.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
I think she should be in the Civil Service system. Take tests, get promoted in grade, join a union.
There is for most state or county positions. But some positions are elected or appointed.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep, she cracked under the pressure and agreed to the same accommodation that the judge offered her to start with.
Haven't seen that reported anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality