Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times

Advertisements

What you people fail to realize, is that there is a difference between silent prayer, and a prayer board. There is a difference is silent prayer, and the class praying. If you want the class to have a prayer every morning and be able to do whatever the teacher determines is right, then I have a few questions for you.

1)Should we allow anyone with different beliefs equal time? If so, how are you going to get any work done? If not, then you just proved you are hypocritical as they come. You can not allow one without the others.

2)Should we allow everyone with differing beliefs their own place on the wall? If so, the walls would get pretty crowded. If not, again, you prove hypocritical.

3)Do we allow the teacher to decide? If so, hope you are okay with your Christian kid being led into a Buddhist/Muslim/Wiccan/whatever prayer every morning. If not, hypocrite.

4)Do we allow the school to decide? If so, you are alienating every kid who does not believe what the school decided on. Do those kids not matter?

I went to school in Memphis, at a very diverse school, and if we had allowed these kinds of things, I promise you it would have gotten out of hand pretty quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:52 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus would be doing a whole lot of SPEWING if he were here today...
Jesus was intolerant towards sin back in his day.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
That all looks a bit like tap dancing.

The fact that a lot of Christians settled in the US does not translate into the Constitution of which its state legislation was based.

That Hindu and Muslim prayers (I bet that went down well with all the republican senators) were used to open Congress is somewhat like the statue of Baphomet alongside the 10 commandments monument. No one religion rules the roost -not of state administration ground, even if it does outside.

And you do not seem to get the idea that we do not trust the Christian agenda and anything that even looks like wangling an edge for creeping over the church/state line is to be stomped on, right quick.

It may be that this prayer -board is ok. I hope not. I think it stinks of calcuated agenda. But that is for the law to decide. Not me, not you.

We can row about it here as much as we did on the Kim Davis thread. That was quite irrelevant to the actual decision and so is this. And I reiterate that it doesn't matter as the dice are rolling our way more and more.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
What you people fail to realize, is that there is a difference between silent prayer, and a prayer board. There is a difference is silent prayer, and the class praying. If you want the class to have a prayer every morning and be able to do whatever the teacher determines is right, then I have a few questions for you.

1)Should we allow anyone with different beliefs equal time? If so, how are you going to get any work done? If not, then you just proved you are hypocritical as they come. You can not allow one without the others.

2)Should we allow everyone with differing beliefs their own place on the wall? If so, the walls would get pretty crowded. If not, again, you prove hypocritical.

3)Do we allow the teacher to decide? If so, hope you are okay with your Christian kid being led into a Buddhist/Muslim/Wiccan/whatever prayer every morning. If not, hypocrite.

4)Do we allow the school to decide? If so, you are alienating every kid who does not believe what the school decided on. Do those kids not matter?

I went to school in Memphis, at a very diverse school, and if we had allowed these kinds of things, I promise you it would have gotten out of hand pretty quick.

While I can certainly see the concern you feel, I can't understand how having a board for prayer requests that is not mandatory to participate in/on, is relevant to any of your concerns.

I didn't see any indication that they were disrupting class, or stopping class to have open prayer.

It is simply a board for prayer requests.

Jimmy's grandpa is sick. He posts it on the board. People who choose to can remember Jimmy's pawpaw when they say their prayers at night. No one is FORCED to do anything but see the board. How that is "endorsement" is beyond reason.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
What would you do if some one was having a swap meet in the very front of your house ?
That is the area Jesus took physical action.
Other areas Jesus dealt with severely were the hypocrisy of the teachers of the day.
Much like we often see today.
Making merchandise of God's house is not a ten commandments sin, it is pure disrespect.
Jesus did not take up offerings, He sent the disciples fishing, to pay taxes.
Taking money was a mistake the disciples made , noble but not something Jesus taught them.

On the OP subject
People CHOOSING to make a fight out of something is the problem ,other wise no one would notice or care.
it's becoming epidemic and Christianity is the target regardless of the denial going on here.
A true atheist does not believe, and takes no notice of things he has nothing invested.
But some one on the attack, blind them self to facts and forcefully aim their objections.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
While I can certainly see the concern you feel, I can't understand how having a board for prayer requests that is not mandatory to participate in/on, is relevant to any of your concerns.

I didn't see any indication that they were disrupting class, or stopping class to have open prayer.

It is simply a board for prayer requests.

Jimmy's grandpa is sick. He posts it on the board. People who choose to can remember Jimmy's pawpaw when they say their prayers at night. No one is FORCED to do anything but see the board. How that is "endorsement" is beyond reason.
At least one student in the class did not want it there. That is how it is relevant.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
So let me get this straight.

The same founding fathers who wrote the 1st amendment, which is trumpeted by uninformed leftists to attack religious freedom on the basis of "separation of church and state" then violated their own values and belief system by opening congress with a prayer?

So if THEY who wrote the separation of church and state clause, also opened congress with prayer you are essentially arguing that THEY were in violation of the very constitution they created.

OR

maybe the "separation of church and state" clause has been very very twisted by the "tolerant" leftists, who don't really know their history but instead have been brainwashed into believing they do.
I notice you avoided the question.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
At least one student in the class did not want it there. That is how it is relevant.

One student didn't want it there?

Why?

How is it offensive to that student?

Yes the tolerance is overwhelming.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What about prayers to His Noodliness, the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Really? Saying a prayer does not in any way imply one believes there is someone listening to that prayer? It is in no way endorsing the existence of a deity?

So my very thoughtful and 100% accurate response was "avoiding the question" in your mind?

OK..
Let me be more direct for you.

My opinion does not matter.

now you may respond to what I wrote concerning the intentions of the people who actually wrote the constitution thought about prayer being in direct conflict with the "separation" clause

If the
So let me get this straight.

The same founding fathers who wrote the 1st amendment, which is trumpeted by uninformed leftists to attack religious freedom on the basis of "separation of church and state" then violated their own values and belief system by opening congress with a prayer?

So if THEY who wrote the separation of church and state clause, also opened congress with prayer you are essentially arguing that THEY were in violation of the very constitution they created.

OR

maybe the "separation of church and state" clause has been very very twisted by the "tolerant" leftists, who don't really know their history but instead have been brainwashed into believing they do.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Teachers can belong to unions as here in the UK, but what they shouldn't do is try to influence their pupils where politics or religion is concerned.
Out of curiosity, is membership in those unions mandatory? Union membership is mandatory in a few states here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality