Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 06:58 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Obviously you wouldn't believe me if I explained it to you perfectly.
Ok, Jeffbase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:08 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Let's assume there is your god.
It's been stated here that the poor long-suffering child was made to do so, so that the Greater GOOD could come about. That obviously implies that the afterlife is preferable and worth suffering for.
OK...so another child gets killed immediately, without suffering, in an auto accident.
Why was the one poor kid made to suffer while the other was not? Was his death 'wasted' because he didn't suffer? Did he earn fewer points or something?
Did the first child deserve the pain?

You bet your ass it's all easier to understand without a god but if you or Eusie or Vizio would like to explain this, we're ready to listen.
I do not agree with what's been stated by Eusebius. Bad things occur because we live in a sinful, broken world (Genesis 3). Where Christianity differs from Atheism is that Christianity offers help in the present and hope for the future, through Jesus Christ. Atheism offers "sucks to be you" and death.

Now, explain the benefits of Atheism, with regard to human suffering.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I do not agree with what's been stated by Eusebius. Bad things occur because we live in a sinful, broken world (Genesis 3). Where Christianity differs from Atheism is that Christianity offers help in the present and hope for the future, through Jesus Christ. Atheism offers "sucks to be you" and death.

You are correct: atheism does not offer the false hope that Christianity does.

Not everyone wants to be deceived for their own good.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:24 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

What help does Christianity offer in the present? Zero, in my experience as a Christian. You are told that god loves you and cares about you and yours, but when reality runs contrary to that, well, "mysterious ways" and chastisement and secret sin and so forth. How comforting IS that, really? Not comforting at all, to me. Quite the opposite. It feels like broken promises of comfort, protection, safety, blessing.

The only unqualified promise is in the afterlife, where for some strange reason all the arguments about free will and robots goes out the window and it's suddenly fine for god to intervene and interact. Even then, he has to first "wipe away every tear" and trust me, there are a LOT of those. It begs the question why he lets all that build up in the first place.

What does atheism offer? Reality without comforting lies. Much less cognitive dissonance trying to reconcile the one-the-ground facts of life (it's what you'd expect if you lived in an indifferent universe) with the promises of god (which creates an entirely different and unrealistic set of expectations).

Atheism offers a true picture of what one is entitled to expect. Much, much better in the long run.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What help does Christianity offer in the present? Zero, in my experience as a Christian. You are told that god loves you and cares about you and yours, but when reality runs contrary to that, well, "mysterious ways" and chastisement and secret sin and so forth. How comforting IS that, really? Not comforting at all, to me. Quite the opposite. It feels like broken promises of comfort, protection, safety, blessing.

The only unqualified promise is in the afterlife, where for some strange reason all the arguments about free will and robots goes out the window and it's suddenly fine for god to intervene and interact. Even then, he has to first "wipe away every tear" and trust me, there are a LOT of those. It begs the question why he lets all that build up in the first place.

What does atheism offer? Reality without comforting lies. Much less cognitive dissonance trying to reconcile the one-the-ground facts of life (it's what you'd expect if you lived in an indifferent universe) with the promises of god (which creates an entirely different and unrealistic set of expectations).

Atheism offers a true picture of what one is entitled to expect. Much, much better in the long run.
Reality? Atheism is illogical! Seriously, this is all just one big accident? That makes no sense, when we can easily observe that all things we see and know have a cause.

Atheism says, "I don't understand God and don't like what He does, so I will ignore the obvious and say I don't believe. In the meantime, I'll go on internet message boards and rail against God, who doesn't really exist."

Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Reality? Atheism is illogical! Seriously, this is all just one big accident? That makes no sense, when we can easily observe that all things we see and know have a cause.
As usual you are not responding to an argument I am making, and, you are ignoring the people who you think made that argument as well, who have repeatedly explained to you the difference between different kinds of randomness and which ones even qualify as "accidents".
Quote:
Atheism says, "I don't understand God and don't like what He does, so I will ignore the obvious and say I don't believe. In the meantime, I'll go on internet message boards and rail against God, who doesn't really exist."
I understood God as well at least as you and had no objections to the things he's said to like.

I don't SAY I don't believe. I simply don't believe ... as there is no good reason to afford belief.

I don't "rail against god". I participate in discussions in which I have every bit as much right as you to participate. In fact without opposing viewpoints it wouldn't even BE a meaningful discussion. Your fantasy world of course is one in which everyone thinks your beliefs are great and it's one great big echo chamber of affirmation for you. Sadly, that is not the Real World; your beliefs have to be substantiated and logically underpinned just like anyone else's.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
As usual you are not responding to an argument I am making, and, you are ignoring the people who you think made that argument as well, who have repeatedly explained to you the difference between different kinds of randomness and which ones even qualify as "accidents".
Your argument:

Quote:
Not much depth.

Cognitive dissonance? Atheism is ignoring the obvious. Everything has a source. Why would life be different?

Quote:
I understood God as well at least as you.
How do you know that? We haven't met personally.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:

Sweetie, maybe if you stopped using the word 'accident' and used 'incident' in it's place it might make more sense to you....as it does with us.
There is no 'railing against god' , it's railing against the assumptions ( not always the same, BTW) you believers try to offer as THE TRUTH which has an affect, if not by way of legislation, then more importantly, in what the next generation believes.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
So anyone in any level of authority has to above characteristics?
If the claim is that the entity is omnipotent, all loving and omniscient, you bet. Otherwise, it is fake.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
There actually is no proof the Israelites created the God of the Bible. So why say it? If anything, the Israelites originally took on the false religions and then the one true God had to reveal Himself to them.
Explain "El" and "Elohim" and the meanings thereof, as well as their etymology.

You may not like the real truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality