Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yeah, it's sooooo much more comforting (and sensible) to believe that your kids are suffering the righteous wrath of a supernatural being.
So you agree atheism is illogical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Cupper, according to your 10 Commandments, why do you attack my character by accusing me of smoking dope or eating psychedelic mushrooms for how I believe?
I was speculating, as the things you have said are so, shall we say, "visionary".

By the way, I don't subscribe to any Ten Commandments. I, instead, I would suggest you only need 2. They pretty well covered all.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:54 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So you agree atheism is illogical?
It's pretty clear that my post was intended as sarcasm, Sheldon Cooper.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,288,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I was speculating, as the things you have said are so, shall we say, "visionary".

By the way, I don't subscribe to any Ten Commandments. I, instead, I would suggest you only need 2. They pretty well covered all.

Similar to the last part of the Wiccan Rede:

To me, that is only ONE Commandment.

Cat

Old 09-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's pretty clear that my post was intended as sarcasm, Sheldon Cooper.
Cop out...

Old 09-22-2015, 05:14 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Epicurus was wrong.

God created evil and controls it.
He is able and willing as the need arises.
He is both able and willing as the need arises.
So one should call Him God.

Isa_45:7 Former of light and Creator of darkness,
Maker of good and Creator of evil.
I, Yahweh Elohim, made all of these things."

God brings about evil that good will come.
So 'omnipotence' has led to a sort of bemused and fallible (not to mention fickle) only too human tyranny. As Epicurus rightly implied, nothing special.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
lmao, getting a real job interferes with my virtual reality.

we don't know what god is. We can safely assume that if we have emotions the universe has more of them. Anything less is just nonsense. Kinda like literal babble, I mean bible is.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrr View Post
Let me share a revelation I had during my time on this planet.

I was brought up a Christian. My mother was a firm believer and took me to church every week without fault. I used to be as firm in my beliefs as her. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

One day my best friend got leukemia. He was a good kid. His parents were good people who sent to church and prayed.

I prayed even more. I got my parents to pray with me, my grandparents, my classmates. We prayed our asses off.

It didn't work. 8 months later I attended his funeral. When I asked the pastor why God allowed it, he said to me that "God worked in mysterious ways" and that Lucas "Had been called to sit next to Jesus".

Strike one. I thought Jesus was an egomaniac.

Sometimes later, Luke's parents lost their business. Then they separated. Then Luke's father got in an accident.
As time went by, I saw more and more good people have all the rotten luck in the world. Bad people got rich, got married, had kids and nothing happened to them.
I prayed and prayed and prayed. It did nothing. Bad luck kept coming to good people.

So I had a revelation. God is either a real dirtbag, seeing his people squirm and enjoying it. Or impotent to stop even the smallest evil.
Not really the type of guy I want to have as a friend.
My conclusion: there is no god. And if there is a god, I don't want anything to do with him.

Since that day, my life has been much easier.
Congratulations, you also chose to spend eternity begging to be let out of hades, good luck with it all.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Congratulations, you also chose to spend eternity begging to be let out of hades, good luck with it all.
What good does a response like that do?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What good does a response like that do?
None.

Which is also the correct answer to "What good is fundamentalism?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality