Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 01:24 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In the new America we aren't allowed to tell anyone they're wrong. Only the left gets to do that.
Your expression is EXACTLY the problem with "conservative" christianity. It is always about dividing us--never about uniting us. It's the difference between Satan as the great divide and Jesus as the one who puts everyone on common ground.

Now take a gutsy senator like Bernie Sanders who went to Liberty University to speak--and grats to the University for asking him to do so. Bernie flat out stated that he disagreed with the University's stand on abortion and gay marriage, but he chose parts of the Bible that even many genuine spiritual conservatives could agree with--about equality in social conditions.
Quote:
Sanders modified his stump speech with quotations from the Bible cited by chapter and verse — Matthew 7:12, “do to others what you would have them do to you” and the more obscure Amos 5:24, “let justice roll like a river, righteousness like a never-ending stream” — but otherwise stuck to his core issues of fighting economic inequality after bluntly acknowledging his pro-choice and pro-gay marriage positions.

But what was striking wasn’t the majority of students who lacked enthusiasm for this most liberal candidate in the presidential race, but the few among them who came wearing Bernie T-shirts and brandishing handmade signs. For Liberty University, like most schools, is composed of a self-selected student body and faculty. It’s unlikely that many high school seniors who consider themselves liberal or leftist would apply.
-----------
Bethany Walker, who graduated in 2007 and has stayed in Lynchburg working for a non-profit, said, “I came here when I was 18. I was still figuring things out – I came from a very conservative family — but as I got older, and I started working in mental health, I realized that what conservatives are asking people to do is impossible. We’re a very small minority, but there is a place for progressive liberal ideology in faith-based communities.”
-----------
Sanders was astute in centering his speech on the potential common ground that he might have with a Christian audience, namely, combating economic inequality and racism. Caleb Taylor, a senior majoring in youth ministry, said, “I don’t agree with him on abortion. A fetus inside the womb has a voice. But I do agree that it’s immoral that we have tax cuts for the 1 percent. The middle class is shrinking, non-existent. And it’s self-centered and arrogant to only focus on abortion and gay rights.”
Bernie Sanders spoke at Jerry Falwell’s college – here’s the reaction he got

Those young people--even at LIBERTY UNIVERSITY---are changing their viewpoints. They understand christianity is something personal. It's practice is something social--like our tax code. It is not something to be imposed in the work place, the schools, or in government institutions.

Many of the conservative young people at Liberty University get it--you don't. It's time to get out preaching false doctrine to your flock. Stop being arrogant and feeling like you are "discriminated" against. What is happening is that YOU are no longer allowed to discriminate in public. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Cool then I will just automatically reject any news source that comes from a liberal, atheist or gay person.
You could use your brain and read a variety if sources and decide for yourself what is true.

Nah.....easier to just read Herman Cain and let him do your thinking for you.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They can privately oppose whatever they want and engage in preaching to the choir about whatever they want. But they should NEVER have had any right publicly to bother homosexuals for ANY reason. The only sins they can legitimately concern themselves with are their OWN. There is no right publicly to bother other people about their sins. Get over it.
Quote:
Do you EVER support Christianity? I guess you think it's a good thing not to share the gospel.
I support Christ and those who follow Him, jeff. He shared GOOD NEWS . . . NOT your corrupt and oppressive version that seeks to coerce or punish others for their sins. God is NOT counting our sins against us. Why are you doing do so to others???

Old 09-18-2015, 01:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Cool then I will just automatically reject any news source that comes from a liberal, atheist or gay person.
You are free to cuddle in an Ivory Tower of your own making, preach to the choir and sing to the priest.

(The choir and priest are a metaphor for yourself, the Ivory Tower is metaphor for being shut-out from the environment).

Jaundiced eye doesn't mean "shut off" completely. It oddly means "affected with or exhibiting envy, prejudice, or hostility."

I hope the commenter meant that you should look at sources pushing a view or already having a view before being crafted with further criticism and scrutiny given the already known bias of the source. Liberal news sources like liberal ideas and question things more that attack that label, they might assume that a lot of Liberal ideas like liberty and equality are good to start off with.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Oh the poor Christians. Let's all cry for them. BOO HOO ! They are not getting persecuted. Not really half of the persecution other religions and races have had. I don't want some crazy Christian bugging me. Who wants or needs to put up with that crap? Listen up Christians, you are not exempt from any law in this country because of your crazy religion. DEAL WITH IT!
Quit crying it's getting old....

Old 09-18-2015, 01:47 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
It's harassment, plain and simple. The guy was warned and continued to harass another.

Next story.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:01 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You could use your brain and read a variety if sources and decide for yourself what is true.

Isn't that what all fundies do? They only accept articles that agree with them. All others are just leftist propaganda. No need to investigate further, when your agenda has all it needs.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Let me guess, u would never consider Herman Cain as a news source. Isn't that being biased? You automatically assume that he is 100% wrong all the time?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Oh the poor Christians. Let's all cry for them. BOO HOO ! They are not getting persecuted. Not really half of the persecution other religions and races have had. I don't want some crazy Christian bugging me. Who wants or needs to put up with that crap? Listen up Christians, you are not exempt from any law in this country because of your crazy religion. DEAL WITH IT!
Quit crying it's getting old....
So someone loses their job that they held for over a decade ONLY because a person didn't like their religious beliefs = pathetic unjustified whining? It's obvious that there is nothing that can be done to us in which people like you would find some way to rationalize it. In the future, it will be BOO HOO Christians, complaining about jail time.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
So someone loses their job that they held for over a decade ONLY because a person didn't like their religious beliefs
That is not why they lost their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality