Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've made logical arguments you have no answer for and you continue to spout off your nonsensical responses. So at this point I'll just give you a:

Vizio, these kind don't come out but by prayer and fasting. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:42 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
I've made logical arguments you have no answer for and you continue to spout off your nonsensical responses. So at this point I'll just give you a:

What are the logical arguments I have no answer for again? What are the nonsensical responses?

You repeatedly claim to have some kind of Absolute Unquestionable Morality but refuse to back up such a staggering claim. Don't be surprised if others call you onto the carpet. Asking for evidence for your outlandish claims is not nonsensical.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What are the logical arguments I have no answer for again? What are the nonsensical responses?

You repeatedly claim to have some kind of Absolute Unquestionable Morality but refuse to back up such a staggering claim. Don't be surprised if others call you onto the carpet. Asking for evidence for your outlandish claims is not nonsensical.
My argument was that the OP has no possible way to criticize God, or the Bible, because as you say, atheists have no objective morality. Without any way of defining something as good, or bad, you cannot say that God is good or bad.

When I point that out....your response is what I'd expect from a 10 year old on the playground stating "I know you are but what am I??!!"

Are you able to actually deal with the argument or are you just going to shuck and dodge, hoping to redirect the argument to whether or not God is real?

Old 10-01-2015, 02:03 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,385,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But God is non-human.
What do you mean "but" then? Because that is exactly what I said. Do keep up. Read it again, try again. It was short, with small words, and quite clear. I am sure you will get it if you try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
He is responsible for creation.
You have not once, ever, in 13200 posts substantiated the claim this entity even exists. Let alone what it is, or is not, responsible for.

Quote:
My argument was that the OP has no possible way to criticize God, or the Bible, because as you say, atheists have no objective morality. Without any way of defining something as good, or bad, you cannot say that God is good or bad.
As has been explained to you on innumerable threads, all of which you insist on pretending you never read before when you pop up on a new one..... Not thinking there is an objective basis for morality does not mean there is no basis for a moral system or moral judgement. And systems of both have been outlined to you multiple times by multiple voices.

You ignoring people saying such things, does not mean they never said it.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:

When I point that out....your response is what I'd expect from a 10 year old on the playground stating "I know you are but what am I??!!"

Are you able to actually deal with the argument or are you just going to shuck and dodge, hoping to redirect the argument to whether or not God is real?
Since I'm not an atheist:

The biblical god is a petulant, narcissistic, murderous, psychopathic case of arrested development.

That was easy.

And true.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
What do you mean "but" then? Because that is exactly what I said. Do keep up. Read it again, try again. It was short, with small words, and quite clear. I am sure you will get it if you try again.

You have not once, ever, in 13200 posts substantiated the claim this entity even exists. Let alone what it is, or is not, responsible for.
There has been plenty of evidence given on this board over the years. If you don't believe it's not our fault for not giving evidence. But proof is different than persuasion. We can lead you to the evidence but we can't make you think.

Again...I'll point out that this thread started with someone taking a pot shot at a deity they claim doesn't exist. It's amazing how obsessed you guys are with a God you don't believe in.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Since I'm not an atheist:

The biblical god is a petulant, narcissistic, murderous, psychopathic case of arrested development.

That was easy.

And true.
Based on what standard of morality?

Old 10-01-2015, 02:14 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,385,413 times
Quote:
There has been plenty of evidence given on this board over the years.
No there has not. Least of all from you. There have been things presented that have been CALLED evidence, but calling it evidence does not make it evidence any more than calling your car a cake will make it edible. The failures in what was presented to qualify as evidence has been explained often and clearly to you. Alas your MO is to leave a thread, pretend you never read anything in it, then pop up in the next thread making all the same errors again. We can lead you to the rebuttals but we can't make you think.

Nice of you to, for example, reply to the part of my post directed at another user but simply edit out and ignore the part that was a reply to you. Cos yea.... THATS honest.

Quote:
Again...I'll point out that this thread started with someone taking a pot shot at a deity they claim doesn't exist.
Which is a perfectly valid thing to do. For example in school and college I made ongoing commentary about, and evaluation of, characters like MacBeth, Othello, King Lear, Silas Marner and Heathcliffe. Did I believe a single one of them existed while I was doing so? No, not at all. Nor was I required to.

If you think you need to believe a character exists to evaluate and comment on their personality and actions in a text.... then you fail to understand much more than I ever suspected before.

But actually even then you are ENTIRELY wrong to say " this thread started with someone taking a pot shot at a deity " because the OP did no such thing. At all. Go re-read it a few times. It does not mention a deity AT ALL. You have simply wholesale made that up. What the OP did do was take a "pot shot" at a book.... and the actions the book recommend people take. Nothing about a deity there at all outside the fantasy world of historical revisionism in your head.

Quote:
It's amazing how obsessed you guys are with a God you don't believe in.
It's amazing how obsessed you guys are at pretending we are obsessed with a god we do not believe in, instead of acknowledging it is the people who hold that belief, and what they do with that belief, that is the focus of concerns and interests.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
Based on what standard of morality?
Mine.

I'm not afraid to own it. I don't need to get mine from a mouldy old book of myths.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:22 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
And I've repeatedly pointed out that the bible is no more "objective" on morality than anything else. Here in the civilized world, we generally consider genocide, stoning children to death, and torturing people with fire to be barbaric.

Quote:
You must not be paying much attention to my responses. I'm simply pointing out that you have no basis for your morality other than an appeal to an arbitrary book. A book with a lot of barbaric behavior. You're the one making a staggering claim and then refusing to back it up.

Quote:
Your argument is silly. Claiming that an arbitrary book is some kind of Absolute Source of Morality is ridiculous. How many times must you be told?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality