Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 12:34 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Then where did evil come from, then, if not from God? What spawned it? How did it come to be? The bottom line here (yes *another* bottom line) is that God created evil by *defining* what evil is. Until God said "this is bad, don't do that, this action is naughty," everything was just a neutral deed or thought.

Isn't that true? Well, of course it is. There's just no ducking out of God's culpability.
I will not debate the silly human-created Omni's, Shirina. You do an excellent job of pointing out their flaws. Evil is a product of consciousness, both in its perception and in its accomplishment. It requires consciousness to discriminate between good and evil and it requires consciousness to choose to do what is evil. Our experience reveals that consciousness does not spring whole into being. It develops and learns. This automatically allows for mistakes (sin=missing the mark) and choosing those things that are evil is what creates evil. A requirement for consciousness to learn implies that there is an ultimate goal . . . we would call it maturity . . . that is independently capable of discriminating and choosing good over evil. Does our experience of life teach us that we should expect the same performance and capabilities from a sprout, sapling, adult tree, or mighty oak? "Missing the mark" is built-in to the maturation process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:18 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I will not debate the silly human-created Omni's, Shirina. You do an excellent job of pointing out their flaws. Evil is a product of consciousness, both in its perception and in its accomplishment. It requires consciousness to discriminate between good and evil and it requires consciousness to choose to do what is evil. Our experience reveals that consciousness does not spring whole into being. It develops and learns. This automatically allows for mistakes (sin=missing the mark) and choosing those things that are evil is what creates evil. A requirement for consciousness to learn implies that there is an ultimate goal . . . we would call it maturity . . . that is independently capable of discriminating and choosing good over evil. Does our experience of life teach us that we should expect the same performance and capabilities from a sprout, sapling, adult tree, or mighty oak? "Missing the mark" is built-in to the maturation process.

By the way Mystic, I don't believe you answered my question: Do you believe God created the heavens and the earth?

Last edited by Eusebius; 09-29-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 04:30 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

By the way Mystic, I don't believe you answered my question: Do you believe God created the heavens and the earth?
As far as I can tell, he believes that God IS the heavens and the earth. Not a new idea...its traditionally called Pantheism if I'm not mistaken.

That's why I have to be careful when debating the existence of "God" as an atheist. The definition of "God" varies so much from person to person that it's often hard to know what's being debated. But that's a whole new topic.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:59 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and any fundies will automatically disagree with ALL atheists' evidence...POT, KETTLE, BLACK?
Atheists don't have any evidence.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think that's the whole idea....

Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well golly Sargent Carter..ain't this the WHOLE truth...out of the mouth of babes...

Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:

The existence of God is the reason the heavens and earth exist, Eusebius..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
As far as I can tell, he believes that God IS the heavens and the earth. Not a new idea...its traditionally called Pantheism if I'm not mistaken.
That's why I have to be careful when debating the existence of "God" as an atheist. The definition of "God" varies so much from person to person that it's often hard to know what's being debated. But that's a whole new topic.
My version is called panENtheism, Freak. In sum, God is immanent and transcendent.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-29-2015 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I find it appalling that you claim to be a Christian yet have such disrespect and hatred for God's Word. Most Christian churches in America would not accept your membership if you said such things.
Everything that's thousands of years old is going to be somewhat barbaric. Slavery was barbaric and it was only a few generations ago. No one really wants to live by all the rules of the bible, not even the people who say they do. The job of every generation is to clean out the last generations garage. That doesn't mean its all bad and archaic just because its old, there's lots of good living advice in the bible, but its by no means all good advice. We don't do all of the things our mentors did, we repeat what worked and learn from what didn't. That's why black people don't have their own separate drinking fountains and its why we don't still beat our wives with sticks, its why we don't take virgin women as the spoils of war then sell them. There is a little bit of barbarism in all the past generations, its not a put down, they just didn't know any better back then.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:

God didn't create Satan perfect in the sense of being sinless. God created Satan to be a liar and murderer perfectly for a good reason: that good would come from that evil.
Six million victims of the holocaust would disagree. I disagree. But if you are right then that would be a pretty barbaric part of God's plan. But I don't accept that it was part of any 'plan'. Some evil dude got into a position to commit evil deeds. And he wasn't the only one in that period. Stalin was no angel either.

God didn't create the universe, the sun or earth let alone life on earth. God didn't 'write' the bible, men did. Men who lived in barbaric times and lived barbaric lives. Men who would sacrifice their own sons to their god.

But since the question of barbarism in the bible was a general one, we should also look at the new testament. How barbaric is the crucifixion of the two robbers/murders and Christ himself. How barbaric is allowing one's own son to be crucified! This by a supposedly omnipotent god who now needs to commit this atrocity for the 'good of all mankind'!

Did it prevent the holocaust? Or the Spanish inquisition? Or the burning of 'witches' or the persecution of the Christians by the Romans. I mention the holocaust not because it was committed in the name of the bible but because it was committed against God's chosen people.

By the way, I had a quick look at what other flood myths actually say and I found that the boat and animals and seeds and two humans theme seems to be global. Very interesting!

Last edited by 303Guy; 09-29-2015 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius

Quote:
Mystic replied:The existence of God is the reason the heavens and earth exist, Eusebius..
Okay, so you do believe God created the heavens and earth. Did you just pick that idea up out of thin air or did you get it from the Bible. And if from the Bible, where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality