Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 01:08 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I believe in the fire and brimstone Christ Freak, I just don't believe in the fundie understanding of the fire and brimstone. But again these things are beyond your understanding.
Of course these things are beyond my understanding. I don't have access to the Special Secret Knowledge that you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 01:12 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Of course these things are beyond my understanding. I don't have access to the Special Secret Knowledge that you do.
All we have to do is agree that pneuma and Mystic are correct, and we can have that special knowledge as well, Freak! Just remember, anyone with a differing view from theirs is wrong. They just don't understand God....

Old 10-16-2015, 01:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
I believe in the fire and brimstone Christ Freak, I just don't believe in the fundie understanding of the fire and brimstone. But again these things are beyond your understanding.
Sorry to hear you live in the fear that if you do not pursue your hobby of believing in some magical entity that you will have some sort of horrible torture.

I prefer to live my life as a good person because it is the right thing to do, not because of some myths first perpetuated by ignorant wandering desert dwelling goat herders.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
I have a question for both Eusebius and pneuma; which bible exactly, are you referring to?

Old 10-16-2015, 02:04 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was an atheist for 30 years before my experience in deep meditation, so i had no such idea of what God was because I didn't believe God existed. Taht is why the experience was so profound. I did spend the next 40+ years trying to explain it to my intellect using science and the entire spiritual fossil record of speculation about God. Others have called that confirmation bias.
The difference is huge. My views are only true for me.
Amen, pcamps.
Cherry-picking implies caprice, not an absolute standard applied consistently. Some concepts seem to be beyond the grasp of certain people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So your views are only true for you. That means they are false to others, which means you are saying there are many other possibilities for God or multiple gods or all sorts of other things. Just because you BELIEVE your view is true doesn't mean it is. Otherwise, every single religion and train of thought is true, no matter how ridiculous. I mean, it's true for them right?
That is incorrect. It is not necessarily false for everyone else. That is a non-sequitur. It simply is true for me. The only thing that was absolutely clear to me after the experience is that there IS a God. Everything else is up for grabs. I like my views (beliefs about God) because I found them to be plausible and consistent with our extant scientific knowledge and I found a spiritual template in the cognitive constructs in the speculations about God in the spiritual fossil record that matches my experience.
Quote:
Yes concepts do go beyond the grasp of certain people. Like hypocrisy is impossible for you or pneuma to grasp. Your "absolute standard" is no absolute. Your standard is, "it fits my vision so therefore it is true". Confirmation bias. You went in search of something that matched your vision, and found it in the Bible and saying only these parts that fit my vision are true.
Stop pretending that it is MY views that are the standard. It is the standard revealed in the narrative describing Christ and His perfect demonstration of the Spirit of agape love (who IS God). It is not MINE and I did not make it up and choose only things I like. It is only those things that are consistent and compatible with the Spirit of agape love as taught and demonstrated by Christ. Your insistence on trying to portray it as some capricious standard involving what I like or not is disingenuous and deceptive. It is a standard that has nothing to do with what I like or do not like, agree with or do not agree with. The Spirit of agape love is the absolute standard of God's truth according to Christ.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:30 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
That is incorrect. It is not necessarily false for everyone else. That is a non-sequitur. It simply is true for me. The only thing that was absolutely clear to me after the experience is that there IS a God. Everything else is up for grabs. I like my views (beliefs about God) because I found them to be plausible and consistent with our extant scientific knowledge and I found a spiritual template in the cognitive constructs in the speculations about God in the spiritual fossil record that matches my experience. Stop pretending that it is MY views that are the standard. It is the standard revealed in the narrative describing Christ and His perfect demonstration of the Spirit of agape love (who IS God). It is not MINE and I did not make it up and choose only things I like. It is only those things that are consistent and compatible with the Spirit of agape love as taught and demonstrated by Christ. Your insistence on trying to portray it as some capricious standard involving what I like or not is disingenuous and deceptive. It is a standard that has nothing to do with what I like or do not like, agree with or do not agree with. The Spirit of agape love is the absolute standard of God's truth according to Christ.
If something is "true", then it can't only be true for you. If God/Jesus is real, then he is real. He can't both be real and not. He can't be both all loving, and not. This is not hard.

You still can' t (or won't) get what I am saying. You have no more evidence that Christ taught agape love anymore than a have evidence of UFO's.

Just answer this for me. How do you know Christ taught agape love? The Bible? Personal experience? What? How do you know it is the "absolute standard"? How do you KNOW? You claim to know for a fact that it is so, but I ask you, HOW do you know? If you KNOW from your "vision", then you essentially "know" nothing. If you know because of the Bible, you have again shown your ability to only choose that which you approve of as truth.

You can't just say, "It is the absolute truth because I say it is the absolute truth".

Old 10-16-2015, 02:36 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
MysticPhD, you should be included in my question above; which bible do you refer to?

Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
That is incorrect. It is not necessarily false for everyone else. That is a non-sequitur. It simply is true for me. The only thing that was absolutely clear to me after the experience is that there IS a God. Everything else is up for grabs. I like my views (beliefs about God) because I found them to be plausible and consistent with our extant scientific knowledge and I found a spiritual template in the cognitive constructs in the speculations about God in the spiritual fossil record that matches my experience. Stop pretending that it is MY views that are the standard. It is the standard revealed in the narrative describing Christ and His perfect demonstration of the Spirit of agape love (who IS God). It is not MINE and I did not make it up and choose only things I like. It is only those things that are consistent and compatible with the Spirit of agape love as taught and demonstrated by Christ. Your insistence on trying to portray it as some capricious standard involving what I like or not is disingenuous and deceptive. It is a standard that has nothing to do with what I like or do not like, agree with or do not agree with. The Spirit of agape love is the absolute standard of God's truth according to Christ.
Translation: I'm just making stuff up.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
If something is "true", then it can't only be true for you. If God/Jesus is real, then he is real. He can't both be real and not. He can't be both all loving, and not. This is not hard.

You still can' t (or won't) get what I am saying. You have no more evidence that Christ taught agape love anymore than a have evidence of UFO's.

Just answer this for me. How do you know Christ taught agape love? The Bible? Personal experience? What? How do you know it is the "absolute standard"? How do you KNOW? You claim to know for a fact that it is so, but I ask you, HOW do you know? If you KNOW from your "vision", then you essentially "know" nothing. If you know because of the Bible, you have again shown your ability to only choose that which you approve of as truth.

You can't just say, "It is the absolute truth because I say it is the absolute truth".
It's true because he repeats it constantly.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Quote:
Your condescending tone aside (Yes I know this was to Freak), you can't believe in an all loving God/Jesus, and also believe in the fire and brimstone version. It is like saying a dictator loves his entire country, but will kill anyone who disagrees with him. That isn't all loving.

Apparently common sense is well beyond YOUR understanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sorry to hear you live in the fear that if you do not pursue your hobby of believing in some magical entity that you will have some sort of horrible torture.

I prefer to live my life as a good person because it is the right thing to do, not because of some myths first perpetuated by ignorant wandering desert dwelling goat herders.
Like I said I do not believe in the fundie understanding of fire and brimstone and that you guys would not understand that. Your post proved me correct. Fire and brimstone is not what the fundies say it is.

You would have been far better to ask me what I believed it was then to assume something I do not believe.

Thats the christian fundamental atheistic mind set at work again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality