Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:12 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So, where did the Post Flood ones come from? Did they have the god gene in them (the PreFlood one obviously had to)?
Far too often Bible Stories are used by some as a little Historical Fact that After Centuries and ability to actually look at the facts in order to prove or disprove... The one thing many tend to forget..Back then.."Their World" was fairly small..and given Flat Earth assumption eventually getting debunked ( not without a fight even into the 16-17th Century by the Church leaders of the day) so suppressed the likes of Aristotle, Galileo, and Copernicus ..

Anyway, back then..science disagreed with their ( Church) belief..which caused denials and repercussion for those who spoke out differently..Geesh Sounds familiar!!

Quote:
So, does that mean the bible is not to be taken literally in all cases?
Of course the BIBLE should never be taken literally..as it's interpreted constantly to prove or disprove something..It's meant as a "Guideline" to allow individuals to gain insights that may assist them in dealing with LIFE Issues!! Some just chose to use "THE WORD" as some sort of DICTATORIAL rationale to excuse "Inhumanity to Man behaviours...Whether it's the Christian Bible or the Koran..Evil , Power seeking, greedy chose portions and bastardize them to suit their AGENDA....ISIL is one example for Islam religion and Huckabee/Kim Davis prime example today in USA for Christian religion.. ( Both indicate total intolerance)

Both Extreme views has NO TOLERANCE for another's POV.. Recipe for HATRED promotion IMO

BTW...I never heard POPE Francis ever utter one word of hatred towards anyone that didn't adopt the Catholic Church's Doctrine. HE spoke of tolerance, love, acceptance, embracing others regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They were large people. They existed before Noah, and there were large people after the flood, as well. Obviously they were Noah's descendants, too. They were human beings. It's not that complicated.
Quote:
The Nephilim weren't on the ark. They weren't a race of people or animals. They were not a half-breed of angels and man or gods and man. The Bible doesn't teach that.
From Codex Leningradis which is the oldest complete copy of the Old Testament (1008 CE):

6:4 The Nephilim were in the earth in those days and also after that when came in the sons of the Elohim unto the daughters of men and they bore to them the same mighty men who were men of old men of renown.

No matter what you do, you can't get around the fact that the text states the Nephilim were in the earth in the days before the flood and in the days after the flood.

Since you insist upon relying on the faulty KJV, you should know Erasmus compounded the error in the mistranslated Septuagint with the root of Nephilim as nepal instead of nepil, which indicates "monstrous births" or abortions or miscarriages (see Ptolemy), which is what led to "Giants".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BTW...I never heard POPE Francis ever utter one word of hatred towards anyone that didn't adopt the Catholic Church's Doctrine. HE spoke of tolerance, love, acceptance, embracing others regardless.
So were the other popes wrong?

Old 10-10-2015, 05:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
...snip...

Of course the BIBLE should never be taken literally..as it's interpreted constantly to prove or disprove something..It's meant as a "Guideline" to allow individuals to gain insights that may assist them in dealing with LIFE Issues!! ...snip...
I wish all Christians, and other believers, had a similar understanding and exercising of their holy book(s).

If that were the case, they could be used similarly to Tarot, Astrology, the I Ching, meditation, yoga, and a host of other methods of reaching in and finding out.

In other words, by far mostly beneficial - and at worst - benign.

Unlike, sadly, some of the historic and present-day uses of the Bible, Torah and Koran.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You asked..and I will reply

Nope and Yes..Why is it always Right or Wrong with some people?? It truly infuriates me..because IF you read my whole post..You realize their IS NO ABSOLUTES!! It interpretations and opinions only!! SOME are TOLERANT and others are not..
Question?? In which category to you fall into? Absolutists or pragmatist? or better still..be willing to allow others to believe within themselves and NOT be required to BELIEVE LIKE some wish to dictate as the REAL truth???

I do believe this Pope actually has been appointed ( against many extreme belief Cardinals) by "Devine Intervention..because for far too long..Absolutism has been around FAR TOO LONG Imo

Old 10-10-2015, 07:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
I'm sorry---I'm not sure I'm following you. Are we talking about the Nephilim yet? Are you questioning why people don't care about that story?
I just wonder how Christians can pass over the meaning of a story such as this by saying that, since they can't agree on the facts of the story, then the story itself must not be that important.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
From Codex Leningradis which is the oldest complete copy of the Old Testament (1008 CE):

6:4 The Nephilim were in the earth in those days and also after that when came in the sons of the Elohim unto the daughters of men and they bore to them the same mighty men who were men of old men of renown.

No matter what you do, you can't get around the fact that the text states the Nephilim were in the earth in the days before the flood and in the days after the flood.

Since you insist upon relying on the faulty KJV, you should know Erasmus compounded the error in the mistranslated Septuagint with the root of Nephilim as nepal instead of nepil, which indicates "monstrous births" or abortions or miscarriages (see Ptolemy), which is what led to "Giants".

The bolded underlined has to be interpreted this way if it is to be understood as written:

"There were giants on the earth before the flood and also after the flood when, after the flood the sons of Elohim came unto the daughters of men and got the pregnant."

This would explain how the Sons of God (angels) raped human women all over again after the flood just like they did before the flood. This also begs the un assailable question NO Christian can answer:

Why, in heavens name did God bother to wipe out the human race via the flood in the first place to stop the Nephilim from polluting the seed of man from which Jesus would come if he intended to just allow the Nephilim to pollute the human race all over again after the flood? Or are the Nephilim equal in power to God and God couldn't stop them from impregnating women all over again?

No Christian dares touch this question because it lays bare just how rife with myth and legend this story really is.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The bolded underlined has to be interpreted this way if it is to be understood as written:

"There were giants on the earth before the flood and also after the flood when, after the flood the sons of Elohim came unto the daughters of men and got the pregnant."

This would explain how the Sons of God (angels) raped human women all over again after the flood just like they did before the flood. This also begs the un assailable question NO Christian can answer:

Why, in heavens name did God bother to wipe out the human race via the flood in the first place to stop the Nephilim from polluting the seed of man from which Jesus would come if he intended to just allow the Nephilim to pollute the human race all over again after the flood? Or are the Nephilim equal in power to God and God couldn't stop them from impregnating women all over again?

No Christian dares touch this question because it lays bare just how rife with myth and legend this story really is.

Exactly.

Even the infamous "Answers in Genesis" site basically comes up with a "meh, what can you do, the bible is unclear."

It's obvious the passionate Christians on this board have no clue how to answer the conundrum, and those that normally insist on a literal reading all of a sudden come up with a "what does literal mean?".

Old 10-11-2015, 12:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Don't forget that other flood survivors include Jared, Methusaleh and Lamech.

The Septuagint solves the problem by reducing the life-span of each of the patriarchs by 100 years, in order to prevent Jared, Methusaleh and Lamech from living through the flood, since they aren't mentioned as being on the ark.

The Masoretic text only reduces the life-span of Jared, Methusaleh and Lamech by 100 years (so they don't live through the flood).

The Samaritan text reduced the life-span of Jared, Methusaleh and Lamech by 115 years each so they don't live through the flood.

The other texts have the original life-spans, so along with Noah, the three preceding patriarchs (Jared, Methusaleh and Lamech) survive the flood.

Those are all examples of editors and scribes trying to harmonize the texts, and there are hundreds of such examples.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:

I think you've mistaken me for someone else. I don't believe the KJV is the best translation. I also agree that they were on earth before and after the flood. Did you have a point with that? It appears that they were simply large people.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Who determines the "way the author intended it"? How could one know?
Literal means read the context, study the grammar, the text in the original language, etc.
Quote:

Yes, actually it does. Here is a Christian persepective and dissection, showing a couple of different views.

genesis - What were the Nephilim, and what role did they play in the Bible beyond just being mentioned? - Christianity Stack Exchange

And another, non-conclusive writing. You probably have referenced this website more than once.

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-c...-the-nephilim/

Neither one dismiss what I stated originally... beings from up high came down and got down right frisky with female humans, and then produced the 'giants'. Apparently these beings from up high only picked the good looking ones.

The question is, Ginger or Mary-Ann? Red head or blonde? Which do you think they came down and had 'carnal knowledge' of?
If somoene want sto believe that I'm not going to call them a heretic. But I'm sorry--I just don't see from that text that it indicates they were half-breed demon-humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality