Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Mmm, you definitely have studied this stuff. I'm more into Taoism which has no original idea of life after death, and kinda borrowed from the Buddhist and Christian.
Oh, interesting... Taoism is a lot about spontaneity and acceptance of obvious realities and the Indescribable Way, but I haven't studied much into it and it's historical transformations. I usually like all nuanced ethical-agnostic religions until fundamentalists/tribalists get their hands on them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
would we be human without fear of death.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:53 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If the fear of death were to somehow disappear, would religion become obsolete? Just want to see what opinions are out there.
If you study religion, it's closely tied to government and designed to keep one group of people in power.

Life-after-Death was not a universal concept of all religions.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:03 PM

392 posts, read 248,347 times
"If the fear of death were to somehow disappear, would religion become obsolete?"

When this perishable nature has put on imperishability, and when this mortal nature has put on immortality, then the words of scripture will come true: Death is swallowed up in victory. Death where is your victory? Death where is your sting? Now the sting of death is sin, and sin gets its power from the Law. So let us thank God for giving us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Cor 15: 54-57

Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
OP, you touched one of the most fundamental questions humanity has.
What is AFTER?
Surprisingly, I have been considering a similar thread, but in philosophy. I personally believe that only philosophy can answer the most important questions.
I think, should people have known for sure that there is no conscious Self disintegration after death, there would have not been much request for religion.
But that is only one of the two major questions.
Second one, in my opinion, is: What is The Truth? What is the truth about everything?
As look at this. Sikhs have no fear of death. They stopped Alexander the Great, who said - you can not fight people that have no fear of death.
Yest, they do have religion. Religion that guides them through their earthly lives and gives them the truth.
I have tendency, though semantically it is not appropriate in English, to separate 2 terms. Faith and religion. I have faith. As ultimate set of beliefs that I wholeheartedly accept and need no further proof for, or against it.
But, I have no religion, as my faith has any and all religions in it, explained.
I look at religion as strictly human product. Teaching and faith were given to humans. Then, some humans turned it into religion, some for financial, some for vanity, some for other reasons.
I'll rephrase your question then. Should people have had no fear of death, would they still have had faith? Yes, of course. Faith in The Truth they know, as when you know what happens after death, you just acquired a large part of The Truth about everything.
Also, as a good visual aid.
Watch Groundhog Day. No, it's not a comedy. It's amazing philosophical work. In it, you may clearly see, what happens when a person loses fear of death. How devastating on its development it may be.
So, there is reason for fear of death. Just imagine, what some would have done, knowing that death is only a transition. Daredevils. Criminals. Sociopaths. As you can get away with anything. Entire criminal justice is based on fear of death.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:11 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
"If the fear of death were to somehow disappear, would religion become obsolete?"

When this perishable nature has put on imperishability, and when this mortal nature has put on immortality, then the words of scripture will come true: Death is swallowed up in victory. Death where is your victory? Death where is your sting? Now the sting of death is sin, and sin gets its power from the Law. So let us thank God for giving us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Cor 15: 54-57
I'm familiar with that. I grew up with it.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
It seems those that 1. didn't give much attention to God one way or the other or
2. were atheists OR
3. were religious....some things happened after their NDEs.
The first 2 became religious...
and the third drop religions seeing them as either nonsense/wrong or just missing the point and,
thus, not necessary.

So you have that, also.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
would we be human without fear of death.
Many of us are aliens then, according to that logic.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If the fear of death were to somehow disappear, would religion become obsolete? Just want to see what opinions are out there.

"Those who believe in me shall have everlasting life." Has there ever been a better sales pitch?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:49 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
"Those who believe in me shall have everlasting life." Has there ever been a better sales pitch?
In my opinion, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality