Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
....you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink.
You can lead a Christian to evidence but you can't make him think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

I can explain it to you you...but I can't understand it for you!

Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I can explain it to you you...but I can't understand it for you!

Theist" "I'll pray for you."

Atheists "And I'll think for you."

(old atheist aphorism)
Quote:
it's because you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink. When a person's heart is ready to accept Christ it will happen. It's not in your control. You only have control over your own salvation. All you can do is pray.
What a lousy system. Would you work for a boss who said that all you can do is work your socks off and beg to be paid. No guarantee that he will. he's the boss, isn't he? But that if you go on strike, then he has his thugs drag you down to he basement and work you over.

Lousy system, as I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
To me it is because you get on your religious soapbox, but when told by your target that they are not interested, you prattle on anyway until your frustrated audience has to stuff a sock in your mouth and sew your lips closed to shut you up.

I have never known anyone who cornered a religious person and then went on and on about the wonders of non-belief.
You're looking at one! I have an Atheist Sermon ("A breath of fresh air" prices on application) on the benefits of letting go of godfaith. If you purchase it together with "Atheism made such a difference to my Life!" you get a reduction.

P.s lemme guess..."Have Blacktop - will travel" ?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-04-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 01:48 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,857 times
Quote:
it's because you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink. When a person's heart is ready to accept Christ it will happen. It's not in your control. You only have control over your own salvation. All you can do is pray.
Quote:
Nice!

Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Because those that actually read the Bible without the rose colored glasses, come away with a whole different view of this presumed god. The Bible is flawed and the god it represents is immoral.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Quote:
Couldn't rep you so.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You're looking at one! I have an Atheist Sermon ("A breath of fresh air" prices on application) on the benefits of letting go of godfaith. If you purchase it together with "Atheism made such a difference to my Life!" you get a reduction.

P.s lemme guess..."Have Blacktop - will travel" ?
OK, I won't object to being compared to Paladin... Have (access to) Blacktop - will travel.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I'm not an atheist, but I'm not a Christian, either. You should be able to spread your belief if you sincerely believe in your God. However,

1/ When I say "no, thanks. I'm not interested", I expect you to respect my wish and leave me alone.
2/ Even if I agree to listen to your offer, in my mind, I despise people like you very much. Christians and Muslims just want to take advantage of people's vulnerable circumstances to preach. It's not illegal, but it's insidious.
He has the right to spread his belief in an open society. I also have the freedom to call his beliefs delusional and childish.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:41 PM

50,899 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
That's a good one! I like it!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:48 PM

50,899 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad it has been brought up again.

Here's my answer:

You stick your nose in my business without being asked, and you think you are being persecuted. That is about the dumbest thing I think I've ever heard.

If I ask you to share your faith with me...fine.
Shall I tell you how to conduct your marriage? Have sex? Feed your kids?
No. It's none of my business unless I am asked.

Bottom line: mind your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality