Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

^ I am comfortable with atheism. It is the default position, IMO. Most of my siblings are atheist. I am the only one that follows any sort of Christian path whatsoever, and as you've seen in these boards, I am not quite Christian enough for some people. Several close friends are avowed atheists, too. I will also never claim to anyone that my way is the right one and in fact I am the one constantly yowling about finding our commonalities rather than our differences, here and in real life.

I am not the only theist who thinks that way. Atheists are everywhere. You're not as rare a breed as you like to make it seem.

Re Hanni's remark about if you took God away from him, I don't think he meant it as you read it. I believe he meant if he did not have God, he would not be able to maintain stability and could even possibly be a danger to others.

He is free to correct me if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah but you couldn't have that over night lest we forget who the crazies really are. You take God away from me, and you don't even want to consider what would be left behind. Truth is, MOST PEOPLE need guidance that only a belief in God can bring, and it doesn't matter whether there is a God or not, they simply need there to be. But I got your 6 when it comes to people shoving their religion down your throat, I am not with those people either. There needs to be freedom.
1. Virtually no one wants to take God away from you. Now let's be fair and equal in the other direction and have "you" not force God on us through proselytizing (which is what this thread is about). I'm, 68 years old and not once have I had someone knock on my door and preach atheism.

2. "It doesn't matter whether there is a God or not..." Wow. I mean just wow.

3. No, even societies that do not worship God have a code of morality.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Virtually no one wants to take God away from you. Now let's be fair and equal in the other direction and have "you" not force God on us through proselytizing (which is what this thread is about). I'm, 68 years old and not once have I had someone knock on my door and preach atheism.

2. "It doesn't matter whether there is a God or not..." Wow. I mean just wow.

3. No, even societies that do not worship God have a code of morality.
Yeah, people who knock on doors are irritating, I give you that much, and the religion forced on my children in school really sucked. I would stand up for everyone's right to believe as they choose and to be able to raise kids without them being brainwashed by other people but you can't do away with the belief in God, and I would think that the best offense from an Atheist would be to pick a religion and support that religion. Whatever religion fits best with the Atheist, he should actually support that religion, or at least concentrate their struggles on the worst religion. The wars of religion are never going to stop and with technology these days, it is only a matter of time before a religious fanatic gets their hands on something huge. If I were an Atheist, I sure wouldn't want an extremist religion coming in who actually killed Atheist, who actually kills people with different ideas, I would get behind the religion of my choice, and give them a pass while I fight against the worst.

The problem is of course, that Christianity just happens to be the most irritating of all people lol, and for some reason, it suits the Atheist to fight against Christianity more than any other religion and maybe it's because they are American and so much of our country began in Christianity. Best thing to do is for everyone to be free to believe as they wish, unfortunately, not everyone agrees, and no matter what Christians are doing, they aren't out there killing Atheists, or dropping gay people to their death. But that is just recently, I would have rather fallen into the hands of anybody else but a Christian in just about every century since Jesus. We have only recently started to become civil.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, people who knock on doors are irritating, I give you that much, and the religion forced on my children in school really sucked. I would stand up for everyone's right to believe as they choose and to be able to raise kids without them being brainwashed by other people but you can't do away with the belief in God, and I would think that the best offense from an Atheist would be to pick a religion and support that religion. Whatever religion fits best with the Atheist, he should actually support that religion, or at least concentrate their struggles on the worst religion. The wars of religion are never going to stop and with technology these days, it is only a matter of time before a religious fanatic gets their hands on something huge. If I were an Atheist, I sure wouldn't want an extremist religion coming in who actually killed Atheist, who actually kills people with different ideas, I would get behind the religion of my choice, and give them a pass while I fight against the worst.

The problem is of course, that Christianity just happens to be the most irritating of all people lol, and for some reason, it suits the Atheist to fight against Christianity more than any other religion and maybe it's because they are American and so much of our country began in Christianity. Best thing to do is for everyone to be free to believe as they wish, unfortunately, not everyone agrees, and no matter what Christians are doing, they aren't out there killing Atheists, or dropping gay people to their death. But that is just recently, I would have rather fallen into the hands of anybody else but a Christian in just about every century since Jesus. We have only recently started to become civil.
You're so far off base, you're not even in the baseball stadium.

First you say everyone should have the right to believe as they choose. Then a couple of sentences later you say an atheist should pick a religion and support it. DO YOU NOT SEE THAT THOSE TWO THINGS ARE DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED?

Clearly you do see it as a war between religions. I don't. I see no such war here in the United States. If you see it as a far, please go to Saudi Arabia and fight it.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You're so far off base, you're not even in the baseball stadium.

First you say everyone should have the right to believe as they choose. Then a couple of sentences later you say an atheist should pick a religion and support it. DO YOU NOT SEE THAT THOSE TWO THINGS ARE DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED?

Clearly you do see it as a war between religions. I don't. I see no such war here in the United States. If you see it as a far, please go to Saudi Arabia and fight it.
What I said doesn't contradict, I think everyone should be free but just because I believe this way doesn't make it so. There are a great number of people out there who would kill us just for the way we believe and sometimes there is a choice. It's like my religion, believing in the ways of Jesus was not accepted and still not accepted up to some point. You keep the 7 feasts of God, and you just aint cool no more, and depending on where you live, it will get you killed..... People will make choices to stand on one side or the other when it only comes down to bad choices.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
What I said doesn't contradict, I think everyone should be free but just because I believe this way doesn't make it so. There are a great number of people out there who would kill us just for the way we believe and sometimes there is a choice. It's like my religion, believing in the ways of Jesus was not accepted and still not accepted up to some point. You keep the 7 feasts of God, and you just aint cool no more, and depending on where you live, it will get you killed..... People will make choices to stand on one side or the other when it only comes down to bad choices.
Well isn't it just too bad if you're not "cool". There are lots of groups of people in the United States that, at various times have not been "cool". Like Blacks, Latinos, gays, Italians, Poles, Irish, and on and on. And how about atheists...we're not "cool".

Old 11-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Well isn't it just too bad if you're not "cool". There are lots of groups of people in the United States that, at various times have not been "cool". Like Blacks, Latinos, gays, Italians, Poles, Irish, and on and on. And how about atheists...we're not "cool".
Yeah, I just happen to be the uncoolest because I do love the 7 feasts of Jesus. I take pride in my uncoolness though, I like being a minority.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just happen to be the uncoolest because I do love the 7 feasts of Jesus. I take pride in my uncoolness though, I like being a minority.
Ha! Minority.

As if!

I'm a Ukrainian/Roman Catholic turned-animist, Montreal Canadiens, Expos/Blue Jays/Raptors fan.

Which, I'm fairly certain, trumps your 7 feasts dude.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ha! Minority.

As if!

I'm a Ukrainian/Roman Catholic turned-animist, Montreal Canadiens, Expos/Blue Jays/Raptors fan.

Which, I'm fairly certain, trumps your 7 feasts dude.

You Win.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 171,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Just do you, boo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality