Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 12:15 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Cool! Free food!
Maybe if you ask nice.

Quote:
I went vegetarian two years ago, but eventually I incorporated fish back into my diet, partly because I go to a lot of business lunches or dinners and it's just easier, and also it's a lean protein. I know I'm just rationalizing, but I somehow don't feel as if a fish suffers to to the same extent a cow or pig or lamb does.
I think everyone has to do what works best for them and that means we probably all rationalize. Even vegans are taking the life of plants when they eat, so what makes that life any less precious? We can't communicate with plants (most of us anyhow) so how do we know they're okay with being eaten and worn or don't experience pain? Sort of said tongue-in-cheek, sort of not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Maybe if you ask nice.

I think everyone has to do what works best for them and that means we probably all rationalize. Even vegans are taking the life of plants when they eat, so what makes that life any less precious? We can't communicate with plants (most of us anyhow) so how do we know they're okay with being eaten and worn or don't experience pain? Sort of said tongue-in-cheek, sort of not.
True enough.

I have a deep appreciation for the life of broccoli and celery. The thought of eating either is just too darn painful to bear.

So, I don't.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
True enough.

I have a deep appreciation for the life of broccoli and celery. The thought of eating either is just too darn painful to bear.

So, I don't.

Go fish.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Maybe if you ask nice.

I know. As someone who thinks <weirdo warning> certain trees are her friends and has done that since childhood, I am not sure plants are not without some sense of what goes on around them. I apologize to my weeds when I rip them out of my garden, and I wait for my tomatoes to die naturally before I pull up the plants. I think I just identify better with animals because I are one.

My daughter is vegan and has been for three years, although she occasionally breaks and has "dairy encounters" with cheese or ice cream. But she embraces the whole lifestyle--wears vegan clothing, vegan makeup, nothing that uses animals if she can help it. I just got to a point where I was having trouble separating the meat in the package at the store with the animal. I was petting a pig one day after I had pork chops, and I said, "I ate your cousin last night. I am sorry."

I accidentally ate some bacon in a dip this past summer. Then again, bacon is so far from "meat" that it has probably reverted to a vegetable, don't you think?

Quote:
True enough.

So, I don't.

They love to be smothered in cheese. It makes them happy.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:58 PM

197 posts, read 86,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While in general I have understood and agreed with your posts in this topic, I have to take exception with one statement you made at the beginning of this post. There are many Christians who have a very strong sense of "humanity".
There are Christians who fit your description. I happen to find them rare species. I don't know how they do it, but at least they don't compromise their sense of justice.

When I was a devout Buddhist in my teenage years, I used to think that karma was the absolute justice. In order to find salvation, one needs to seek refugee in the Buddha, his dharma, and his sangha. There was no hope to escape reincarnation outside 3 Buddhist gems. Like what I mentioned to you, some Buddhist sects have this exclusive view. Even when I was a steadfast Buddhist, I never thought that children deserved to suffer for their bad karma in their previous lives, and I sincerely hoped that there were different ways for salvation outside Buddhism.

Now that I am much more reasonable with my belief, I realize that my devotion to Buddhism was unnecessarily zealous. I had no idea that Christians are even more fanatic than I used to be.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know. As someone who thinks <weirdo warning> certain trees are her friends and has done that since childhood, I am not sure plants are not without some sense of what goes on around them. I apologize to my weeds when I rip them out of my garden, and I wait for my tomatoes to die naturally before I pull up the plants. I think I just identify better with animals because I are one.

My daughter is vegan and has been for three years, although she occasionally breaks and has "dairy encounters" with cheese or ice cream. But she embraces the whole lifestyle--wears vegan clothing, vegan makeup, nothing that uses animals if she can help it. I just got to a point where I was having trouble separating the meat in the package at the store with the animal. I was petting a pig one day after I had pork chops, and I said, "I ate your cousin last night. I am sorry."

I accidentally ate some bacon in a dip this past summer. Then again, bacon is so far from "meat" that it has probably reverted to a vegetable, don't you think?

They love to be smothered in cheese. It makes them happy.
Bacon, cheese. I'm getting hungry.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:53 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Bacon, cheese. I'm getting hungry.
Conversations often find their way to food.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 AM

16 posts, read 14,519 times
Quote:
Example #4296 (approx) of fundie non-think and #6754 (approx) of fundie lack of empathy/compassion evident in CD threads the past few years.
You attack and label people when they don’t even attack you or label you. You are the one who is showing little empathy and compassion. And they say Christians are intolerant and hateful lol.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovepeople View Post
You attack and label people when they don’t even attack you or label you. You are the one who is showing little empathy and compassion. And they say Christians are intolerant and hateful lol.
I think you're confusing simple disagreement with the existential threat of an attack on your personhood. You should quit associating your personal identity so strongly with your beliefs. They are just ideas in between your ears. Others can fail to share those ideas without it being any sort of problem for you. You can continue to entertain those ideas with all the ardency you wish.

Ironic that you think Trout suggesting someone is lacking compassion is "hateful" but you making the same accusation concerning him is just fine.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:05 AM

16 posts, read 14,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think you're confusing simple disagreement with the existential threat of an attack on your personhood. You should quit associating your personal identity so strongly with your beliefs. They are just ideas in between your ears. Others can fail to share those ideas without it being any sort of problem for you. You can continue to entertain those ideas with all the ardency you wish.

Ironic that you think Trout suggesting someone is lacking compassion is "hateful" but you making the same accusation concerning him is just fine.
Read my quote. Homenj never said trout was lacking compassion but he did. He was who started it not homenj which makes it rude on his part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality