Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 06:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

I guess it comes down to they are. but they shouldn't be allowed to force their type of god on others and they are not allowed to persecute others in the name of the beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:30 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
You have the freedom to tell me your supernatural beliefs and I have the freedom to call them ridiculous, delusional, childish and silly. See how that works. It's called the internet. I have the freedom to do the same with anybody who approaches me in life about their supernatural beliefs. I am a firm believer that we should NOT automatically give deference to religion. That's why it partly persists. This whole "you can't criticize my religious beliefs because they are religious" is idiotic. We criticize others political beliefs. Religion should not be given special privilege.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:35 PM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post

You have the freedom to do the same with anybody who approaches me in life about their supernatural beliefs.
I don't feel free to do that.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
You have the freedom to tell me your supernatural beliefs and I have the freedom to call them ridiculous, delusional, childish and silly. See how that works. It's called the internet. I have the freedom to do the same with anybody who approaches me in life about their supernatural beliefs.
Of course, being ignored and/or derided is exactly what they consider 'persecution'. That that doesn't remotely fit the actual concept - to say nothing of the definition - of persecution doesn't matter.

Another component of this issue is that a great many fundamentalists crave the idea that they're being persecuted. This is a deeply-imbued aspect of fundamental Christianity, harkening back to the early days of the religion when it actually was persecuted where it existed. It's a weird sort of emotional self-flagellation. They don't actually want to suffer real persecution, but they fancy the idea of 'suffering for Jesus' - so they convince themselves that someone telling them to buzz off is tantamount to persecution.

The psychological pathology of it all is fascinating, in a can't-look-away-from-the-trainwreck sort of way.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:53 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
You have the freedom to tell me your supernatural beliefs and I have the freedom to call them ridiculous, delusional, childish and silly. See how that works. It's called the internet. I have the freedom to do the same with anybody who approaches me in life about their supernatural beliefs. I am a firm believer that we should NOT automatically give deference to religion. That's why it partly persists. This whole "you can't criticize my religious beliefs because they are religious" is idiotic. We criticize others political beliefs. Religion should not be given special privilege.
Bravo that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Of course, being ignored and/or derided is exactly what they consider 'persecution'. That that doesn't remotely fit the actual concept - to say nothing of the definition - of persecution doesn't matter.

Another component of this issue is that a great many fundamentalists crave the idea that they're being persecuted. This is a deeply-imbued aspect of fundamental Christianity, harkening back to the early days of the religion when it actually was persecuted where it existed. It's a weird sort of emotional self-flagellation. They don't actually want to suffer real persecution, but they fancy the idea of 'suffering for Jesus' - so they convince themselves that someone telling them to buzz off is tantamount to persecution.
...and of course, their Bible tells them that they will get Jesus brownie points for being 'persecuted'.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:48 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

The psychological pathology of it all is fascinating, in a can't-look-away-from-the-trainwreck sort of way.
I tend to regard it as a sort of romanticization of an otherwise dull existence. At least in my particular subset of fundamentalism, it wasn't so much that persecution was elevated as one-foot-in-front of the other, "endure to the end", trudge through this weary world of sin and shame until we get to heaven. A very popular gospel song back then declared:
Quote:
When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus
We'll sing and shout the victory!
The really joyful songs we had were all about some imagined future in heaven, in contrast to the burdensome life in this world:
Quote:
This world is not my home,
I'm just passing through.
If heaven weren't my home,
Lord, what would I do?
The angels beckon me
from heaven's open door
And I don't feel at home in this world any more.
In the context of all this dour "holding fast to the end", the bar for persecution is pretty low. We didn't even NEED persecution to feel burdened. So being disbelieved, or worse, ignored, was enough to rise to the level of persecution in our minds, at least in the absence of actual persecution. Besides, a little pushback just confirmed what we already believed about ourselves, that we were "suffering" for Jesus by foregoing worldly pleasures and "having faith" in our eventual bliss in heaven.

Honestly, I'm not sure why we didn't just kill ourselves and be done with it.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I'm sure that leaving town before Hank tells you to would ensure you didn't get the money and he'd kick the crap out of you. Close? Cigar?

Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
I haven’t been following this thread so I don’t know if you are still around. But my .02 is that many of us offer advice and counsel (whether it be religious or not) when it hasn’t been asked for. Sometimes, maybe most times, people just want to vent to someone who will compassionately listen, not be told how they should fix things. That’s something I need to learn myself. So instead of thinking you need to tell someone to trust God and pray, just listen. If they want your opinion they will ask for it.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:05 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I haven’t been following this thread so I don’t know if you are still around. But my .02 is that many of us offer advice and counsel (whether it be religious or not) when it hasn’t been asked for. Sometimes, maybe most times, people just want to vent to someone who will compassionately listen, not be told how they should fix things. That’s something I need to learn myself. So instead of thinking you need to tell someone to trust God and pray, just listen. If they want your opinion they will ask for it.
Indeed.

As a man I have that male tendency to feel that if someone is sharing a problem, it's because they want it fixed. Men are fixers (as a general rule) so for us learning to just "be present" for someone without judgment or agenda is doubly difficult. In fact if you can clearly see a solution, keeping mum about it can be intensely frustrating or anxiety-inducing -- if you haven't learned to die to your need to be in control, to be right, and to indulge your Jesus complex.

This is not just true of men, of course, women can do it and people can do it in gender-neutral roles like the role of religious follower we're talking about here.

There was an evangelist back in my day (this guy if any one cares) who liked to characterize proselytization like someone who knows a bridge is out on the road ahead, and you're jumping up and down in the highway leading to the bridge, yelling "STOP, STOP STOP!". This irritates people but when they understand why you are in the way, they will thank you for it.

Except the metaphor doesn't hold. There is no demonstrable literal peril, there is just a claimed and asserted peril for which you offer zero evidence. It's a very different situation. With a literal bridge out, you might even be guilty of a crime if you knew to stop people and didn't. But just claiming you're hell-bound and claiming you happen to have the remedy are just that: claims.

Ultimately the problem with proselytizers is that they have a highly inflated notion of the reality and demonstrability of their truth-claims.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:33 PM

465 posts, read 236,077 times
Originally Posted by Pleroo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Indeed.

As a man I have that male tendency to feel that if someone is sharing a problem, it's because they want it fixed. Men are fixers (as a general rule) so for us learning to just "be present" for someone without judgment or agenda is doubly difficult. In fact if you can clearly see a solution, keeping mum about it can be intensely frustrating or anxiety-inducing -- if you haven't learned to die to your need to be in control, to be right, and to indulge your Jesus complex.

This is not just true of men, of course, women can do it and people can do it in gender-neutral roles like the role of religious follower we're talking about here.

There was an evangelist back in my day (this guy if any one cares) who liked to characterize proselytization like someone who knows a bridge is out on the road ahead, and you're jumping up and down in the highway leading to the bridge, yelling "STOP, STOP STOP!". This irritates people but when they understand why you are in the way, they will thank you for it.

Except the metaphor doesn't hold. There is no demonstrable literal peril, there is just a claimed and asserted peril for which you offer zero evidence. It's a very different situation. With a literal bridge out, you might even be guilty of a crime if you knew to stop people and didn't. But just claiming you're hell-bound and claiming you happen to have the remedy are just that: claims.

Ultimately the problem with proselytizers is that they have a highly inflated notion of the reality and demonstrability of their truth-claims.
Indeed. That post must have taken such significant effort to proselytize the board to how you feel about their claims.

Did you notice what you did. You just proselytized your viewpoint but it is different because it is protected speeches.

"
Ultimately the problem with proselytizers is that they have a highly inflated notion of the reality and demonstrability of their truth-claims."

And yours isn't making more claims that deserve to be shunned, ridiculed, spit upon, torn out, stepped on, spated upon, it is just Christians.

It's never the Atheists, they're the best ones.

They even get to spread their ideas of Jesus

'He does not exist, just get over yourselves'.

Quote:
Don't worry, the bridge is out, take notice.

Don't worry when you fall it all will be fine.

'But what's that about, please say it, tell me'.

Too late, you got your way, all yours so like.

'But if you knew the future, would you say it.'

No, you're a waste of time, do the crime, pay it.

'Huh, what's that mean, you are making sentence.'

Ya, get over it. Tough call, you're so tough, repent.

Bye, have fun, you enjoyed your life, but you've lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality