Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

A story for this group....so I go to an evening BBQ...I scream happiness and hug an old
acquaintance, New Jersey Sue. She asks how I'm doing..I say, "SO great! I'm SO into God! Couldn't be better!"
We immediately get interrupted.

I sit with her later, whereby she immediately attacked me for being Christian. (Huh?)
I smile and say, "I never said I was Christian." (I was, tho.)
'Yes, you did'.....''No, I said I was into God''...This went on for so long,
along with her equally angry (NJ) brother and every silly thing they said I smiled and gave them a reason why that actually isn't quite correct...

Next time I see Sue...another huge outdoor 'event'...she and a friend come up to greet me.
The friend grimaces. Sue says, 'I've told her to see a doctor." I put my hand on her shoulder and ask what's wrong!
10 minutes later I'm sitting with strangers at a picnic table with a beer and brat.
Sue 's friend walks up and says, "Miss H cured me....she cured my stomach!!!"
I say, "Oh, cool.'' But, she continues in amazement.
I take a bite of my brat and now SUE is sitting next to me, ha,
Telling me about her congenital hip issue....Oh, ok... I touch her...'Where? here?'
That was that... I recommended a physical therapist that is brilliant..

3 minutes later she and her infamously, angry, atheist brother are off pointing to me.
Finishing my beer he comes up to me and says, 'So, Sue said you healed her hip."
"Oh, cool."

And still to this day they both remain uninterested in anything having to do with God.
But, neither attack me at parties now. Hahaha

And just to say, I had maybe 4 days earlier been Baptized in the Holy Spirit...so still had some kind of aura around me, obviously imbued...this doesn't happen anymore. LOL! It was not 'me', obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I'm not an atheist, but I welcome 1000 atheists over a Christian. At least, their humanity is strong and intact.

Even if Yahweh exists, spending eternity with him is really miserable for me. Nevertheless, nothing is worse than spending my eternity with tyrant worshipers.

Hitler didn't kill people physically, but he commanded people under him to do that. He's a monster. Certainly, many people served him because they had no choice. Other people served him with eagerness and sympathized with his ideology. These people deserve more hate than Hitler himself.

Same thing with Christians. For a long time, I kept fooling myself that Christians didn't agree with their god's action towards nonbelievers, but they had to believe because they didn't have a choice.

Listening to Tracie Harris, Matt Dillahunty, and Sam Harris's criticism of Christian doctrine, I realize that I have no more excuse not to distance myself from Christians. Being convinced of Yahweh's existence doesn't mean being happy with everything he did. If Christians agree with Yahweh's sentence for nonbelievers, how is it different from "moderate Muslims" agreeing with what Bin Laden did to WTC?

I'm really sick of hypocrisy from Christians. They always complain about non Christians restricting their freedom, and yet they want the rest of the world to worship their god with all their intellect and their heart. How is that different from totalitarian mind control?

Christians can believe whatever they want as long as they leave me and my family alone. Until their god can show up to loud and clear like he did in the Hebrew Bible, I cannot fool myself into believing in him, let alone worship him.

Although I don't like some tactics from the new atheists, I admire them for daring to challenge the doctrine that dehumanizes people.
While in general I have understood and agreed with your posts in this topic, I have to take exception with one statement you made at the beginning of this post. There are many Christians who have a very strong sense of "humanity".

Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A story for this group....so I go to an evening BBQ...I scream happiness and hug an old
acquaintance, New Jersey Sue. She asks how I'm doing..I say, "SO great! I'm SO into God! Couldn't be better!"

I sit with her later, whereby she immediately attacked me for being Christian. (Huh?)
along with her equally angry (NJ) brother and every silly thing they said I smiled and gave them a reason why that actually isn't quite correct...

Next time I see Sue...another huge outdoor 'event'...she and a friend come up to greet me.
The friend grimaces. Sue says, 'I've told her to see a doctor." I put my hand on her shoulder and ask what's wrong!
10 minutes later I'm sitting with strangers at a picnic table with a beer and brat.
Telling me about her congenital hip issue....Oh, ok... I touch her...'Where? here?'

3 minutes later she and her infamously, angry, atheist brother are off pointing to me.
Finishing my beer he comes up to me and says, 'So, Sue said you healed her hip."
"Oh, cool."

And still to this day they both remain uninterested in anything having to do with God.

And just to say, I had maybe 4 days earlier been Baptized in the Holy Spirit...so still had some kind of aura around me, obviously imbued...this doesn't happen anymore. LOL! It was not 'me', obviously.
Even though you're one of my very favorite posters, you would have made me feel uncomfortable just blurting out "SO great! I'm SO into God!"

Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:

"Oh, cool."

You claim to have some gift of healing that you can heal women at a BBQ but you have never gone into a children's cancer ward and cleared it out?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You claim to have some gift of healing that you can heal women at a BBQ but you have never gone into a children's cancer ward and cleared it out?
She didn't claim that...

Quote:
...And just to say, I had maybe 4 days earlier been Baptized in the Holy Spirit...so still had some kind of aura around me, obviously imbued...this doesn't happen anymore. LOL! It was not 'me', obviously.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Tell someone a lie, make them angry.
Tell someone the truth, make them furious.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I'm really sick of hypocrisy from Christians. They always complain about non Christians restricting their freedom, and yet they want the rest of the world to worship their god with all their intellect and their heart.
Yes. They are very keen on the right to practice religion...just as long as it's THEIR religion.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. They are very keen on the right to practice religion...just as long as it's THEIR religion.
Nah. I don't care what religion someone else practices, as long as it isn't used to harm anyone else.

I work for a Muslim. He's good friends with a Jew that I also know from my previous employment. We all went to lunch one day a few weeks ago at Delmonico's, the famous New York City steakhouse...but we all ate fish, lol, because the Muslim only eats halal meat, the Jew only eats kosher meat, and I don't eat any meat except fish, though not because of religious reasons.

We all get along quite well.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:51 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nah. I don't care what religion someone else practices, as long as it isn't used to harm anyone else.

I work for a Muslim. He's good friends with a Jew that I also know from my previous employment. We all went to lunch one day a few weeks ago at Delmonico's, the famous New York City steakhouse...but we all ate fish, lol, because the Muslim only eats halal meat, the Jew only eats kosher meat, and I don't eat any meat except fish, though not because of religious reasons.

We all get along quite well.
You're a fish-eater? I know this fisherman...

Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You're a fish-eater? I know this fisherman...

Cool! Free food!

I went vegetarian two years ago, but eventually I incorporated fish back into my diet, partly because I go to a lot of business lunches or dinners and it's just easier, and also it's a lean protein. I know I'm just rationalizing, but I somehow don't feel as if a fish suffers to to the same extent a cow or pig or lamb does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality