Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovepeople View Post
Read my quote. Homenj never said trout was lacking compassion but he did. He was who started it not homenj which makes it rude on his part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM

16 posts, read 14,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think you're confusing simple disagreement with the existential threat of an attack on your personhood. You should quit associating your personal identity so strongly with your beliefs. They are just ideas in between your ears. Others can fail to share those ideas without it being any sort of problem for you. You can continue to entertain those ideas with all the ardency you wish.

Ironic that you think Trout suggesting someone is lacking compassion is "hateful" but you making the same accusation concerning him is just fine.
Also one can have disagreements. I have friends who are of different faiths and we get along but when you accuse others of showing little compassion, little empathy, and lack of logical thinking (without even knowing them mind you) like what trout was saying it is no longer a simple disagreement but name calling.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Also one can have disagreements. I have friends who are of different faiths and we get along but when you accuse others of showing little compassion, little empathy, and lack of logical thinking (without even knowing them mind you) like what trout was saying it is no longer a simple disagreement but name calling.
I don't agree. These sub-forums are, at least in part, to discuss and debate the rather hot topic of religion. If one can't critique another poster's posts, then it's not much of a debate.

Everyone is welcome here, but just as I found the Politics & Other Controversies too much for me, perhaps you should consider whether the Christianity sub-forum would be more to your liking.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM

16 posts, read 14,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't agree. These sub-forums are, at least in part, to discuss and debate the rather hot topic of religion. If one can't critique another poster's posts, then it's not much of a debate.

Everyone is welcome here, but just as I found the Politics & Other Controversies too much for me, perhaps you should consider whether the Christianity sub-forum would be more to your liking.
Alright but if a Christian says someone is immoral for choosing to fornicate none of you can really complain either and say that he or she is being judgemental for that on these forums right?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Alright but if a Christian says someone is immoral for choosing to fornicate none of you can really complain either and say that he or she is being judgemental for that on these forums right?
Of course they can. That's what happens in discussion forums.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:39 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Read my quote. Homenj never said trout was lacking compassion but he did. He was who started it not homenj which makes it rude on his part.
"He started it" is not much of a defense I'm afraid.

Lack of empathy is a truth claim that can be refuted by Homenj if Homenj has a refutation for it. It's not somehow wrong to have the temerity to raise the issue, though. Lack of empathy is a valid critique.

You point out elsewhere that Trout doesn't know Homenj and this is true, however, he wasn't saying Homenj lacks empathy, but that his statement lacked it. Perhaps Homenj even appreciates an opportunity to make his rhetoric match is empathetic nature and values, for all we know.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 AM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Of course they can. That's what happens in discussion forums.

It is such a fine line, and you guys do such a good job, really. I have been on forums since there were forums, been on all of them, been banned from all of them lol. This is a very fair place and it has to be a team because if you just have one unfair biased mod, there wouldn't be any people left in the forum lol.

A GREAT group effort.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
The purpose of the sub-forum is to discuss. That's what I just said in the last post.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:41 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
There is a BIG difference between judging God's standards of do Not fornicate or commit adultery and judging a person who is thus sinning. In other words, God's judgement on matters are already recorded in Scripture for all to see.
What a person does Not want to do is to judge others by imputing a bad or wrong motive to others.
Some sin un-intentionally, whereas others sin on purpose, willfully.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Good one, Matt. In fact, I think we have to accept anyone, Christian or not, condemning Fornication as wrong and immoral. That may be their view and they are entitled to say so. We may argue about that and we may reject totally the Bible or religion as a moral basis for judging it. We are also entitled to say that, too.

Just so it doesn't get all heated and personal in the course of disagreement. But because personal belief is often invested in the views (of both sides) it often does get heated. We need to understnad that, take a breath and step back, and not take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality