Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,441,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
It is quite funny. I guess they are waiting for the first person to respond:

"No, I have lived in a box buried 40 feet under the ground my entire life, and this is my first trip into the bright, bright surface world. Egads, who is this Jesus fellow you mentioned!?"

Well, here in the South, people are a little more subtle. Instead of telling you about Jesus right off, they ask you what your church family or "home" is. I try to just detour them away from the subject by saying I don't go to a local church, but some can get persistent. I lost a really good craftsman who used to do restoration work on my house because he pestered me about my church home so much, including inviting me to HIS church, that I finally just told him that I go to the nearest synagogue. After that he wouldn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
It is quite funny. I guess they are waiting for the first person to respond:

"No, I have lived in a box buried 40 feet under the ground my entire life, and this is my first trip into the bright, bright surface world. Egads, who is this Jesus fellow you mentioned!?"

Yeah... we're not exactly living on a remote mountaintop with no TV, no Internet, and no other people to talk to.

It's kind of hard to miss the news that there's this Jesus fellow.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, here in the South, people are a little more subtle. Instead of telling you about Jesus right off, they ask you what your church family or "home" is. I try to just detour them away from the subject by saying I don't go to a local church, but some can get persistent. I lost a really good craftsman who used to do restoration work on my house because he pestered me about my church home so much, including inviting me to HIS church, that I finally just told him that I go to the nearest synagogue. After that he wouldn't work for me.
I live in the South. It's funny, but I have never been asked about which church I attend.

Perhaps I look like a heathen?

LOL.

I have been to church. My grandparents were pentecostals, in fact. I've even been to tent revivals.

I think it's that my expression isn't usually one that says "please tell me more about your church!"

I do know that people ask this sort of stuff. I hear it from friends all the time.

They just don't ask me.

Last edited by RedZin; 10-25-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I live in the South. It's funny, but I have never been asked about which church I attend.

Perhaps I look like a heathen?

LOL.

I have been to church. My grandparents were pentecostals, in fact. I've even been to tent revivals.

I think it's that my expression isn't usually one that says "please tell me more about your church!"

I do know that people ask this sort of stuff. I hear it from friends all the time.

They just don't ask me.
Welp, you're lucky. It's definitely a question around these parts.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
In my 66 years, I've never been asked where, or whether, I attend church by a casual acquaintance or neighbour. I think most Canadians would think such a question quite impolite.

Different strokes....

Old 10-25-2017, 03:19 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In my 66 years, I've never been asked where, or whether, I attend church by a casual acquaintance or neighbour. I think most Canadians would think such a question quite impolite.

Different strokes....
We were once asked as the neighbors were new and started attending the church at the end of our block. We old them we were not believers, a little bit of chat including why they liked it. W3 never got friends with them but chat about the weather, yard work and his dog. I don't even know why nhl team he likes.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 PM

88,606 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
I've seen that discussed on the A&A forum, and I thought people were exaggerating. Now I know that there are places where people really do ask that question.

It's not a thing in New Jersey, probably because we have a wider variety of cultures than some places.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:40 PM

88,606 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Different strokes....
Well, it IS impolite.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've seen that discussed on the A&A forum, and I thought people were exaggerating. Now I know that there are places where people really do ask that question.

It's not a thing in New Jersey, probably because we have a wider variety of cultures than some places.
It's quite common in the deep south, and as far north as Kentucky and West Virginia. It's not even a question of are you religious or what religion you subscribe to. The question is using "What church do you go to?" It ASSUMED that you are a Protestant Christian.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's quite common in the deep south, and as far north as Kentucky and West Virginia. It's not even a question of are you religious or what religion you subscribe to. The question is using "What church do you go to?" It ASSUMED that you are a Protestant Christian.
OH! The HUMANITY!!!!!!

OH HOW CAN WE PERSECUTE people like that! That's HORRIBLE!

Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality