Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,076 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I think this is a religious question, so I'll ask it here.
I'm wondering what everyone's views on this are? Atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc.?
I used to be a Christian and I remember very distinctly rationalizing intercourse like: "well, we're gonna get married anyhow, so..." Now that I'm not a Christian, I believe that sex should be between a couple (married or not married) as to me it's a sign of trust and gratitude.

Something I'm particularly interested in is if there's anyone religious here who made it to marriage, are you happy you did? Did it seem like a spiritual experience? Do you feel fulfilled?

I was torn between this section and relationships, but I think the roots of the question are religious, so here it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what everyone's views on this are? Atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc.?
I used to be a Christian and I remember very distinctly rationalizing intercourse like: "well, we're gonna get married anyhow, so..." Now that I'm not a Christian, I believe that sex should be between a couple (married or not married) as to me it's a sign of trust and gratitude.

Something I'm particularly interested in is if there's anyone religious here who made it to marriage, are you happy you did? Did it seem like a spiritual experience? Do you feel fulfilled?

I was torn between this section and relationships, but I think the roots of the question are religious, so here it is.
Life's too short.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Life's too short.
No comment

Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
When I was young I had the same question.
I resolved that God's approval is more important to me,
I stayed a virgin till I was married.
I have far less to loose, serving God, than taking the chance serving self, an loosing eternally.
on the other side of that . some one that does not value them self ,gives them self to any thing, like a test tube ,only a test tube can be washed and clean but a person once contaminated, has nothing to offer some one of value.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
When I was young I had the same question.
I resolved that God's approval is more important to me,
I stayed a virgin till I was married.
I have far less to loose, serving God, than taking the chance serving self, an loosing eternally.
on the other side of that . some one that does not value them self ,gives them self to any thing, like a test tube ,only a test tube can be washed and clean but a person once contaminated, has nothing to offer some one of value.
Wow, that sounds rather depressing. This implies that sex before marriage makes you valueless?
I'm curious what religion you uphold?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

No sex till marriage. Then, knock yourself out, have fun.

Sex was given to Adam and Eve -- it draws a couple together and it bonds them, in addition to procreation. So, it's to be done within the confines of marriage, nowhere else.

My wife and I waited till marriage. We had every opportunity to NOT wait, as she actually bought a house and I lived in it by myself for 3 months prior. We are very glad we waited.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:16 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
The question is asked in the reverse logic.

Religion does not prohibit sex, it regulates it.

So let's reverse back the logic, and look at it from religious philosophy.

If you want sex, then get married.

Whether someone follows this philosophy or not, is their free choice to make.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I am atheist, and no my wife and I did not wait until marriage. We both enjoyed our human sexuality prior to meeting, and continued to enjoy that part of our life with each other since we met. We've been married nearly 20 years no, so it seems to be working for us. I can not understand why someone would want to wait until marriage to explore their sexuality. Its a wonderful part of development. If you do, I certainly think you have that right to choose that lifestyle decision, but for me, it was never even considered.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
No marriage 'til sex.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No sex till marriage. Then, knock yourself out, have fun.

Sex was given to Adam and Eve -- it draws a couple together and it bonds them, in addition to procreation. So, it's to be done within the confines of marriage, nowhere else.

My wife and I waited till marriage. We had every opportunity to NOT wait, as she actually bought a house and I lived in it by myself for 3 months prior. We are very glad we waited.
I do admire your self control
You lived in your wife's house for 3 months by yourself? lol Where was your wife?

Do you think it was a more sacred (for lack of a better word) experience because you waited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The question is asked in the reverse logic.

Religion does not prohibit sex, it regulates it.

So let's reverse back the logic, and look at it from religious philosophy.

If you want sex, then get married.

Whether someone follows this philosophy or not, is their free choice to make.
I'm confused what question you're talking about. I also don't know if that sounds like a healthy way to look at relationships.
I feel like you'll get the attitude "Dang, I really wanna have sex. I don't like you that much.... but let's get married!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I am atheist, and no my wife and I did not wait until marriage. We both enjoyed our human sexuality prior to meeting, and continued to enjoy that part of our life with each other since we met. We've been married nearly 20 years no, so it seems to be working for us. I can not understand why someone would want to wait until marriage to explore their sexuality. Its a wonderful part of development. If you do, I certainly think you have that right to choose that lifestyle decision, but for me, it was never even considered.
I appreciate your response This is how I feel as well. I don't really see the point in waiting personally, but I am still interested if others think it was worthwhile or not or how many people actually live up to that standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality