Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the reaction if Muslims had done them
It would be considered Islamic terrorism. 22 66.67%
It would be ignored. 0 0%
The story would not make national news. 4 12.12%
None of the above. 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I believe that we will never obtain peace when people keep putting every single word in a book on a pedestal. When a holy man and his words are immune to criticism, religious conflicts will never end.
You are 100% correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,649,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
The thing is, many radical Muslims do it in the name of their god. Others do it because they're crazy (and this includes ordinary Muslims too).

For instance, that Egyptian pilot who intentionally brought down the plane in the 90s, nobody called it Islamic terrorism. Because it wasn't. And let's not forget Saddam's regime. He killed so many innocent people. Gassed the Kurds. Islamic? Nope, more racial and political in nature.

So there are a few instances were politics or just a person's insanity plays a role in this, even if they adhere to Islam.

ISIS, Boston bombers, Paris shooters, Sydney cafe siege....Sorry, but these were clearly Islamic. And they say it themselves.

Abortion clinic shooters. KKK. Crusades. Definitely Christian. Tamil Tigers -- Buddhist and Hindu extremists. It's not that we're biased towards Islam. The thing is, Islam radicals are just more prominent nowadays. It's not "racist" to point them out the most.
Good points.
The disappearance of MH370 was also piloted by Muslims.
Who are the pilots of flight MH370? - BBC News
There were no strong suspicions by many that point it to Islamic terrorism.

Taking into account of the context, I am sure there are many other evils acts and violence that are committed by Muslims that are not blamed as Islamic terrorism.

Note "Tamil" is not related to religion but rather 'race'.
Re evils and violence committed by Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. they cannot be due to the religion itself. Note my explanation in the above post.
However, [can be easily proven],
Islam is the only mainstream religion [in part] that has evil laden elements within its holy texts and core principles that inspire SOME [not all] evil prone Muslims to commit terrible evils and violence around the world. The evidence to this is so glaringly that any one can acknowledge with ease.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,969,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Good points.
The disappearance of MH370 was also piloted by Muslims.
Who are the pilots of flight MH370? - BBC News
There were no strong suspicions by many that point it to Islamic terrorism.

Taking into account of the context, I am sure there are many other evils acts and violence that are committed by Muslims that are not blamed as Islamic terrorism.

Note "Tamil" is not related to religion but rather 'race'.
Re evils and violence committed by Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. they cannot be due to the religion itself. Note my explanation in the above post.
However, [can be easily proven],
Islam is the only mainstream religion [in part] that has evil laden elements within its holy texts and core principles that inspire SOME [not all] evil prone Muslims to commit terrible evils and violence around the world. The evidence to this is so glaringly that any one can acknowledge with ease.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Three News stories and not one is called terrorism.

Impressive Arsenal Found in Car Outside Mass. Stadium

Alaska Man Crashes Plane Into Wife's Workplace

Cliven Bundy Son, Militia Take Over Fed Building

What would be the reaction if they were done by Muslims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
All your graphic shows is that most 'mass killings' are not done by Muslims. We all knew that.

However, Woodrow was asking if we would assume any dastardly deed done by Muslims is automatically linked to Islamic Terrorism. Your graphic does not address his question.

I can think of six mass killings done by Muslims - two at the World Trade Center and one in Boston, Chattanooga, Fort Hood, and San Bernardino. To my understanding, five of those killings were motivated by Islamic ideas.

Therefore, if I hear about a future mass killing done by Muslims, I will estimate there is an 83% chance of it being a case of Islamic Terrorism.
I don't disagree with your last statement. If a mass killing is perpetrated by Muslims, chances are the motivation is Islamic extremism.

However, it appears to me that Woodrow is highlighting a wider question with this thread.
His opening statement is
"Three news stories and not one is called terrorism".

What Woodrow is highlighting with this thread, is that only Muslim acts of violence are regarded and referred to as acts of 'terrorism'.
Islamic Terrorism is, as I acknowledged, a very real and in some ways, unique threat and clearly motivated by Islamic ideas.

However, what Woodrow and myself are pointing out is that Muslims are not the only people in the USA to commit acts of terrorism, and it is therefore only fair to point out - (a fact that is practically lost is the media) that the threat from Islamic terrorism is overstated in comparison with threats from elsewhere.

45 people have died in the USA in the 14 years since 9/11, as a result of Islamic extremism.
This is including the Boston Bombing and the San Barnardino shooting.

Yet we rarely hear any other violent acts in the USA referred to as terrorism.

What about the Charleston Church shooting, and the Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting, both seemingly motivated by White Supremacism?

Terrorism is any act of violence or intimidation designed to cause terror.

What about the 'deeply Christian' planned parenthood shooter Robert Dear who in November killed 3 people and wounded nine others? Why is he not a Christian terrorist?
And the massively long string of murders, attacks, arson and threats, generally by Christians on planned parenthood clinics, that we never hear about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

Or what about this story about Robert Doggart in 2015, that nobody ever heard of?:
America Snores When Christian Terrorist Threatens to Massacre Muslims - The Daily Beast

The point is that terrorism stems from everywhere, but is rarely reported as terrorism unless the story is linked with Islam.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't disagree with your last statement. If a mass killing is perpetrated by Muslims, chances are the motivation is Islamic extremism.

However, it appears to me that Woodrow is highlighting a wider question with this thread.
His opening statement is
"Three news stories and not one is called terrorism".

What Woodrow is highlighting with this thread, is that only Muslim acts of violence are regarded and referred to as acts of 'terrorism'.
Islamic Terrorism is, as I acknowledged, a very real and in some ways, unique threat and clearly motivated by Islamic ideas.

However, what Woodrow and myself are pointing out is that Muslims are not the only people in the USA to commit acts of terrorism, and it is therefore only fair to point out - (a fact that is practically lost is the media) that the threat from Islamic terrorism is overstated in comparison with threats from elsewhere.

45 people have died in the USA in the 14 years since 9/11, as a result of Islamic extremism.
This is including the Boston Bombing and the San Barnardino shooting.

Yet we rarely hear any other violent acts in the USA referred to as terrorism.

What about the Charleston Church shooting, and the Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting, both seemingly motivated by White Supremacism?

Terrorism is any act of violence or intimidation designed to cause terror.

What about the 'deeply Christian' planned parenthood shooter Robert Dear who in November killed 3 people and wounded nine others? Why is he not a Christian terrorist?
And the massively long string of murders, attacks, arson and threats, generally by Christians on planned parenthood clinics, that we never hear about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

Or what about this story about Robert Doggart in 2015, that nobody ever heard of?:
America Snores When Christian Terrorist Threatens to Massacre Muslims - The Daily Beast

The point is that terrorism stems from everywhere, but is rarely reported as terrorism unless the story is linked with Islam.
Thank You Cruithne,

You are correct. Here in the USA about the only acts that get called Terrorism ared those involving Muslims. Also when a Muslim commits a crime it is almost always called "Terrorism".

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Thank You Cruithne,

You are correct. Here in the USA about the only acts that get called Terrorism ared those involving Muslims. Also when a Muslim commits a crime it is almost always called "Terrorism".
You're partially right.

Is it done ir motivated by religious extremism? If so, it is appropriate to label it as terrorism AND the religion involved. Always.

Are the horrors perpetrated for non religious or non political philosophy? Then those need to be looked at.

Enough of political correctness and whitewashing issues. Doing so has allowed a nutcase like Trump to key in on the support he has.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:46 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
Both incidents were reported as terrorism in these two very respected newspapers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/us...nsin.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ge-him-as-one/

Quote:
Quote:
Here in the USA about the only acts that get called Terrorism ared those involving Muslims.
The two news articles I referenced contradict what you both are saying.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 PM

197 posts, read 86,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You're partially right.

Is it done ir motivated by religious extremism? If so, it is appropriate to label it as terrorism AND the religion involved. Always.

Are the horrors perpetrated for non religious or non political philosophy? Then those need to be looked at.

Enough of political correctness and whitewashing issues. Doing so has allowed a nutcase like Trump to key in on the support he has.
Exactly. I'm sorry that good Muslims are marginalized due to terrorists' act. However, Islam has too many free passes when it comes to criticism.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Both incidents were reported as terrorism in these two very respected newspapers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/us...nsin.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ge-him-as-one/

The two news articles I referenced contradict what you both are saying.
From the first link.

Quote:
The police did not release any details about the gunman or a possible motive for the shooting, beyond raising the prospect of terrorism. Thomas Ahern, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said the killer was a 40-year-old white man.
From the Second link

Quote:
As the Times notes, the DOJ’s act is “largely symbolic.” But if the department wanted to offer something more than an empty symbol, it would go further and charge Roof as what he is under the law: a terrorist.
The first one seems to be quite clear that if the perpetrator had not been white, non-Muslim it was not going to be called terrorism.

The second link is basically the editors opinion. but no one of any authority suggested it was an act of Terrorism.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
The second link is basically the editors opinion. but no one of any authority suggested it was an act of Terrorism.

From what I can tell by surfing the web, the FBI director did not call the shootings in Charleston to be a terrorist attack.

If you do a web search on "Charleston shooting terrorist", you will see that multiple news sources thought the attack should be called a terrorist attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality