Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the reaction if Muslims had done them
It would be considered Islamic terrorism. 22 66.67%
It would be ignored. 0 0%
The story would not make national news. 4 12.12%
None of the above. 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Not a single act by non-Muslims was labelled Terrorism during that time period.

I don't believe that is true.

May 2003: Eric Robert Rudolph, is charged in connection with the bombing of a health clinic in Alabama and the fatal bombings at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta, is captured. He was sentenced to life in prison in 2005. He was one of the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted fugitives.

I don't think Rudolph was Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't believe that is true.

May 2003: Eric Robert Rudolph, is charged in connection with the bombing of a health clinic in Alabama and the fatal bombings at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta, is captured. He was sentenced to life in prison in 2005. He was one of the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted fugitives.

I don't think Rudolph was Muslim.
My error,I missed him. Yes he is the only Non-Muslim considered a Terrorist in FBI link. There were 208 (SOURCE) terrorist attacks in the USA Most by non-Muslims, but Eric Rudolph was the only non-Muslim called a terrorist by the FBI. While virtually all of the Planned Muslim attacks never took place they are still considered Terrorist attacks by the FBI

Like I said a terrorist attack by a non-Muslim is not lekly to be called an act of Terrorism, but every act by a Muslim seems to get associated with Terrorism

Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Like I said a terrorist attack by a non-Muslim is not lekly to be called an act of Terrorism, but every act by a Muslim seems to get associated with Terrorism
This is an interesting topic. It is true that almost all of the incidents mentioned in the website you gave involved Muslims, but I thought there were other groups considered to be 'terrorist' organizations.

For example, I found this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Defense_League

This site says the Jewish Defense League "was classified as "a right-wing terrorist group" by the FBI in 2001 and is considered a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. According to the FBI, the JDL has been involved in plotting and executing acts of terrorism within the United States."

If it is true that the Jewish Defense League is considered to be a "terrorist group" and has been "plotting and executing acts of terrorism within the United States", I wonder why these acts did not show up in the website you referred to.

Last edited by hiker45; 01-06-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
This is an interesting topic. It is true that almost all of the incidents mentioned in the website you gave involved Muslims, but I thought there were other groups considered to be 'terrorist' organizations.

For example, I found this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Defense_League

This site says the Jewish Defense League "was classified as "a right-wing terrorist group" by the FBI in 2001 and is considered a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. According to the FBI, the JDL has been involved in plotting and executing acts of terrorism within the United States."

If it is true that the Jewish Defense League is considered to be a "terrorist group" and has been "plotting and executing acts of terrorism within the United States", I wonder why these acts did not show up in the website you referred to.
I have been wondering that myself.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
But it is still a rarity for an act by a non-Muslim to be called terrorism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The point is that terrorism stems from everywhere, but is rarely reported as terrorism unless the story is linked with Islam.
This website contradicts your statements.

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...rism-2002-2005

I did not look thru all of the terrorist incidents, but I saw a lot of them that did not appear to involve Muslims.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
This website contradicts your statements.

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...rism-2002-2005

I did not look thru all of the terrorist incidents, but I saw a lot of them that did not appear to involve Muslims.
That list is 10 years old.

Note Hiker -I'm not here to defend any one side. I'm just here in the interest of fairness and balance and what I see is an atmosphere of Islamophobia and hysteria being ratcheted up, particularly since the Paris attacks and since San Bernardino, while everything else appears to be played down. You must have noticed it yourself.
I take your point that some of the incidents I cited were indeed reported in the media as Domestic terrorism. But you wouldn't know it if you talk to people in the street or follow social media, or listen to what our politicians have to say.
I have watched every single Democrat and every single Republican debate. I believe it is important to be educated and informed on all sides.
The focus of the last Republican debate was National security and Islamic terrorism, spurred on by Donald Trumps remarks about banning any more Muslims from entering the country (a knee jerk reaction after San Bernardino). People are terrified by Islamic terrorism and rightly so, - the images we have seen have been beyond barbaric. But not a single mention was made about all the other violence happening in America on a daily basis. This was watched by 18 million people and Donald Trump has a lot of influence.
Since 9/11 Islamic terror has killed on average 3.2 Americans per year (domestically speaking). You are far more likely to be killed by a policeman, by a heart attack, by lightning, by chocking, by something falling on you, or a zillion other things than by Islamic terrorism. - I just think we need to keep a level head and keep things in proportion.

Last edited by Cruithne; 01-06-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 12:17 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Since 9/11 Islamic terror has killed on average 3.2 Americans per year (domestically speaking).
That makes 48 Americans killed by Muslims since 9/11 - whilst since 9/11, some 480,000 Americans have been killed by Americans with guns...and Americans are worrying about Muslims killing Americans!!!
Oiy vez!!! Get your priorities right USA.

Last edited by Rafius; 01-06-2016 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That makes 48 Americans killed by Muslims since 9/11 - whilst since 9/11, over 450,000 Americans have been killed by Americans with guns...and Americans are worrying about Muslims killing Americans!!!
Oiy vez!!! Get your priorities right USA.
I know. It's absolutely nuts.

But mention tougher gun laws and the rabid, frothing fulminations begin. It's sad, stupid and deplorable.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Americans are worrying about Muslims killing Americans!!!

You are correct. Americans also worry about being killed by other people residing I our country.

Based on gun sales, some Americans address this problem by carrying a gun themselves.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I know. It's absolutely nuts.

But mention tougher gun laws and the rabid, frothing fulminations begin. It's sad, stupid and deplorable.
America has a gun problem; it also has an IQ problem...and the second problem makes it very difficult to solve the first problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality