Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 01:15 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What gives you the right to demand that we accept gay marriage as natural and normal? The reality is you are the one pushing secular beliefs down our throat.
You don't have to accept gay marriage as natural or normal, and nobody demands it. You can complain about it all the live long day and nobody can stop you if that's how you want to act.

The only thing required is that you recognize that gay marriage is now Constitutionally protected and the law of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40"
I am mocked because of this:

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved"

Matthew 10:22
Mocking you is not hating you Jeff, any more than contradicting you is "bashing" you. Pointing out to Christians exactly why their claims are insupportable to the point of foolishness is not "persecuting" Christians any more than Christians hurling out dire pronouncements at non believers is an example of Christians "persecuting" non Christians. Burning people at the stake for not agreeing with you, now THAT is persecution. Anyone notice any crispy Christians lately? Because I have not. So you might want to get over yourself just a little.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:23 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
I am mocked because of this:

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved"

Matthew 10:22

Now let's play a little devil's advocate. Isn't that an odd verse for the bible fiction writers to make up?
Not really a great promotion tool to tell people that becoming a Christian means you are going to be hated huh?
Yet you ignore, unsurprisingly, your glaring hypocrisy and ignorance in making the statement you made. You are not "hated" Jeff. Just because your religion and persecution narrative want you to be, doesn't mean you actually are. In fact, you show more hatred than any of the people who point out your errors and hypocrisy. Just take a look (not you, but anyone else who may be reading this) at everything you have to say about atheists and non believer, gay people, other religions, etc etc.

Quote:
You certainly are acting like it is.
No, we aren't. I would ask you to find 1 single post that says evolution is 100% correct, and can not ever be questioned for fear of going to hell..... wait..... sorry, I am confusing it with your religion....

Anyways, find me one single post that says evolution is 100% correct, and that we know everything there is to know, and it can never be questioned, and I'll give a $100,000.

Quote:
How convenient that you claim that humans come from a primate ancestor when we can't even observe it.
Just gotta take it on, what's that word, oh yea, FAITH.
How convenient you claim that humans were made out of mud which you can't observe, by a God that we can't observe, that was all recorded by people who didn't observe it.

See Jeff, stupid logic like this is why you get the responses you do.

Quote:
I already told you what I base it on. Sure there are ugly things in this world because sin put a curse on God's creation.
Oh yea, that's right, you are one of those, "everything good is God, everything bad is because humans suck" people. Must suck to live in a world where everything you accomplish is because of God, but all failings are 100% on you.

Quote:
Ok, I got it for the nth time. You think I'm stupid in science. Can we move on, or do you feel the need to tell me another 20 times that I lack scientific knowledge?
No, you haven't "gotten it". If you had, you would start researching things and learning about the things you post about. This would stop all of the posts about your lack of knowledge. Or, you know, just continue to believe only what your pastor and Christian websites tell you to, and continue to get comments from people astounded at your lack of honesty and knowledge.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You are entitled to that opinion and it's expected since I've never once seen an atheist admit that a Christian was right. It is unfortunate that you have offered absolutely nothing to combat a single point I've made.
Many Christians have insisted to me that the author of Gospel Luke was in fact the author of Acts of the apostles. And I have admitted that this is probably true. Most experts agree that the wording is very similar and that the authors are probably the same person. So there, that is one admission for you. When I think of another I will let you know.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
You are entitled to that opinion and it's expected since I've never once seen an atheist admit that a Christian was right. It is unfortunate that you have offered absolutely nothing to combat a single point I've made.

You are being dishonest here . I have answered every point you have made by showing that all your complaints are based around the fact that society no longer accepts Christians forcing their beliefs upon others and discriminating against those they don't like . After all these posts you cannot show any mistreatment or intrusion into your life that isn't based on these two things .

And atheists would admit that Christians are right if and when you say something that is correct . But it is foolish of you to complain that atheists won't admit your belief in a God is correct, or that certain silly or hateful beliefs you have are correct .

Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Many Christians have insisted to me that the author of Gospel Luke was in fact the author of Acts of the apostles. And I have admitted that this is probably true. Most experts agree that the wording is very similar and that the authors are probably the same person. So there, that is one admission for you. When I think of another I will let you know.

I don't know of any atheists who would disagree with many of the teachings of Jesus. Love your neighbor as yourself , true religion is looking after widows and orphans , etc .

And I have seen atheists and non fundamentalists Christians get along just fine in numerous discussions over the years .

Old 02-24-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I don't know of any atheists who would disagree with many of the teachings of Jesus. Love your neighbor as yourself , true religion is looking after widows and orphans , etc .

And I have seen atheists and non fundamentalists Christians get along just fine in numerous discussions over the years .
Try considering the Golden Rule as a template for how each of us should live our lives and interact with each other, and notice how it covers just about every contingency.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
From another article on the same web site:

Darwin's Theory of Evolution: Definition & Evidence

Quote 1: "Evolution by natural selection is one of the best substantiated theories in the history of science, supported by evidence from a wide variety of scientific disciplines, including paleontology, geology, genetics and developmental biology."

Quote 2: "All life on Earth is connected and related to each other," and this diversity of life is a product of "modifications of populations by natural selection, where some traits were favored in and environment over others."

Quote 3: "Even though scientists could predict what early whales should look like, they lacked the fossil evidence to back up their claim. Creationists took this absence as proof that evolution didn't occur. They mocked the idea that there could have ever been such a thing as a walking whale. But since the early 1990s, that's exactly what scientists have been finding. The critical piece of evidence came in 1994, when paleontologists found the fossilized remains of Ambulocetus natans, an animal whose name literally means "swimming-walking whale." Its forelimbs had fingers and small hooves but its hind feet were enormous given its size. It was clearly adapted for swimming, but it was also capable of moving clumsily on land, much like a seal."

So, for all the people claiming that no transitional fossils have been found, there it is. They were found over 20 years ago.

Thanks, Jeff. If you hadn't posted your link, I wouldn't have thought to look and see what else that web site had to offer.
Didn't you know that Jeff doesn't read the links he provides. He reads headlines, and interpolates. It makes for some interesting reading at times.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
You really do live in a vacuum. Most religious leaders believe in a creator. Even in the scientific community, thoughts on evolution are debatable:

Why Haven't All Primates Evolved into Humans?

You want to tell me that it is proven fact that humans are primates when your experts can't even freaking agree on the timeline.
One of my college professors was a very devoted Christian. Much of his life he actually had spent doing religious missions, after he served in Vietnam. Would you have guessed he believes in evolution? But he said that he doesn't think evolution diminished or invalidates creation, rather it makes it more beautiful. He describes evolution as just being a part of creation.

He's not alone. I'd actually argue that most people are with him on that. You are actually in a minority by denying evolution in it's entirety.

There is disagreement within the study of evolution. But it's not about evolution itself. It's agreed that evolution is the process that causes diversity in species. Some of the nitty gritty stuff, like when certain species came to be and what came from what are still being studied. And yes, there is disagreement in this area. But it's not about if evolution is valid. That argument has passed.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Did you even read my post? My point is that you want me to believe everything in evolution is proven to such a degree that it can't be wrong and yet the experts don't even agree on the basics.
Then your point is off base.

I have yet to meet a single person who believes we know everything there is to know about evolution.

There is not disagreement within the process of evolution, which is what most people hold to be valid. But much of what is studies happened long ago. It stands to reason that there is a lot we still don't know or even have slightly wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality