Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 01:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,350,471 times

Advertisements

Wow, Jeffy! This interest in Native Americans must be brand new for you. There are several Native Americans on this board and you've done a VERY good job of ignoring their posts when they challenge the CD fundamentalists. Feel free to jump right in next time!

p.s. During the AIDS epidemic the atheists were helping take care of all the gay men who were abandoned by their fundamentalist parents and left to die alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 04:29 PM

11,180 posts, read 6,096,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

p.s. During the AIDS epidemic the atheists were helping take care of all the gay men who were abandoned by their fundamentalist parents and left to die alone.
Holy Cow! They did that? I mean the fundamentalists? Holy ****! Evil personified!

Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 PM

64,150 posts, read 40,503,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow, Jeffy! This interest in Native Americans must be brand new for you. There are several Native Americans on this board and you've done a VERY good job of ignoring their posts when they challenge the CD fundamentalists. Feel free to jump right in next time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Holy Cow! They did that? I mean the fundamentalists? Holy ****! Evil personified!
It only served to highlight the gross perversion and corruption of Christ's Gospel perpetrated by the mainstream anti-Christ apostate churches, as prophesied for these latter days.There was no love in their hearts. It was pure evil indeed.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 PM

30,954 posts, read 37,174,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Atheists are not the ones ringing doorbells and waking people up at 8 a.m. on a Sunday in order to try to convert them. Now THAT is mean!
They just have different methods of doing the same thing. The welfare state, the whole scientific materialist philosophy that dominates our thought in our universities, etc. They hardly need to knock on doors. Atheists are dominant in a lot of key positions of influence in society.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 AM

11,180 posts, read 6,096,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
They just have different methods of doing the same thing. The welfare state, the whole scientific materialist philosophy that dominates our thought in our universities, etc. They hardly need to knock on doors. Atheists are dominant in a lot of key positions of influence in society.
Yes they are. Thank goodness.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:31 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,721,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Can you explain why atheism is concerned with the welfare state? Atheism is one position on one subject and addresses nothing else.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:47 AM

7,587 posts, read 6,678,063 times
"I belong to a primitive religion from the Bronze Age, and I believe that everyone in America should be forced to live their lives according to the laws of my religion and that all public schools should be forced to teach my religion to everyone's children instead of modern science."

"No, what you believe is nonsense, and you do not have the right to force it on people who choose not to believe it."

"I AM BEING MISTREATED!!!!!!"

Does that about sum it up?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:33 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
"I belong to a primitive religion from the Bronze Age, and I believe that everyone in America should be forced to live their lives according to the laws of my religion and that all public schools should be forced to teach my religion to everyone's children instead of modern science."

"No, what you believe is nonsense, and you do not have the right to force it on people who choose not to believe it."

"I AM BEING MISTREATED!!!!!!"

Does that about sum it up?
Just about. But might I add... ?

"Look, a Darwin fish on a car! And over there are two guys holding hands and no one's arresting them! And I just saw a Richard Dawkins book on a shelf!"

"Stop this oppression!"

This is how entrenched groups act when their monopoly on power starts to erode. They lash out, and claim that the social diffusion of power away from their privileged bunch to other groups represents unfairness, abuse, and oppression. We've seen it from many men, many whites, many straights (and I say this as a straight white male) and from many Christians. So it's not just a trait of Christianity of even religion in general.

That said, there is definitely an underlying current among many Christian groups that is deeply vested in the notion that they are being oppressively crushed under the boot of an anti-Christian power. This probably stems from the early days of the religion when it was genuinely an oppressed minority wherever it was. They revel in the role of the underdog, fighting for The Truthâ„¢ against liars and deceivers and wrongdoers. And the fact that religions tend to begin their existence as oppressed, or at least marginalized, probably means that while this tendency toward perceived victimhood is not exclusive to religions, it is a particularly common and natural viewpoint among them.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM

20,305 posts, read 13,701,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"Look, a Darwin fish on a car! And over there are two guys holding hands and no one's arresting them! And I just saw a Richard Dawkins book on a shelf!"

"Stop this oppression!"

This is how entrenched groups act when their monopoly on power starts to erode. They lash out, and claim that the social diffusion of power away from their privileged bunch to other groups represents unfairness, abuse, and oppression.
In the news recently, sociologists have identified a population subgroup they labeled "authoritarian". It is not strictly religious in makeup, and the authoritarianism is largely latent until activated, usually by a combination of perceived outside threats (terrorists, illegal immigrants) and certain kinds of unapproved social change (e.g., gay marriage). In these situations there is much fear and loathing and a desire to "do something" about the perceived existential threat, at any cost. This makes them vulnerable to a "strong man" who promises to fix these issues -- even at the expense of personal freedoms.

This tendency has been misidentified with both fascism and fundamentalist religion, but those are really symptoms rather than causes.

The questions they developed to identify "authoritarian" types were innocuous child-rearing questions, such as, "is it more important for a child to be self-sufficient, or obedient?"

Trump and Cruz would probably be the two current American presidential candidates most appealing to authoritarians. In the case of Trump, who is clearly no evangelical, all it takes is some naked flattery and empty promises to pander to evangelicals quite effectively. That's how strong their persecution narrative is, and how desperate they are for a "strong man".

Old 03-06-2016, 05:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,349,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In the news recently, sociologists have identified a population subgroup they labeled "authoritarian". It is not strictly religious in makeup, and the authoritarianism is largely latent until activated, usually by a combination of perceived outside threats (terrorists, illegal immigrants) and certain kinds of unapproved social change (e.g., gay marriage). In these situations there is much fear and loathing and a desire to "do something" about the perceived existential threat, at any cost. This makes them vulnerable to a "strong man" who promises to fix these issues -- even at the expense of personal freedoms.

This tendency has been misidentified with both fascism and fundamentalist religion, but those are really symptoms rather than causes.

The questions they developed to identify "authoritarian" types were innocuous child-rearing questions, such as, "is it more important for a child to be self-sufficient, or obedient?"

Trump and Cruz would probably be the two current American presidential candidates most appealing to authoritarians. In the case of Trump, who is clearly no evangelical, all it takes is some naked flattery and empty promises to pander to evangelicals quite effectively. That's how strong their persecution narrative is, and how desperate they are for a "strong man".
Interesting perspective that has the feel of truth - as is often the case with your posts. You are one of CD's shining lights.

Too soon, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality