Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/woma...140814377.html

Quote:
In 2006, the Alabama Department of Human Resources didn't verify the safety requirements of one of her daycares in Mobile, because they trusted that churches would tell the truth about complying with the law.

Within months, a county health inspector named Alice Rollins was responding to parents' complaints and found babies lying in carriers on the floor because Stokes hadn't bought enough cribs. Rollins wrote in her notes that one infant had been neglected for so long that "urine had soaked through its outer garment as it sat on the carpet" and electrical outlets in the kitchen didn't have childproof plugs or cover plates.
This woman has been allowed to open daycare after daycare despite having been convicted of child endangerment in her first one. She just keeps opening new ones and saying they are part of her church.

Why in the world these states (16 of them) believe they don't need oversight when a daycare claims to be a Christian daycare, I have no idea.

Quote:
The site's investigation also found at least 80 daycare operators who suddenly decided to identify as religious after regulators tried to shut them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
If this operation is an integral part of her church, the church should be able to verify. That puts the church on the line when it comes to safety of the building, and the children.

This was a fail. The inspectors should have taken the next step.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
If this operation is an integral part of her church, the church should be able to verify. That puts the church on the line when it comes to safety of the building, and the children.

This was a fail. The inspectors should have taken the next step.
Agreed -- those churches are opening themselves up to a big lawsuit if anything were to happen.

We do background checks on any person that interacts with children. I would think any church would want to do so, also.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Agreed -- those churches are opening themselves up to a big lawsuit if anything were to happen.

We do background checks on any person that interacts with children. I would think any church would want to do so, also.

Agree that it puts the church at risk. I do not understand how a church run daycare should be exempt from health and safety requirements of day cares. It smacks to me of some religious people or groups that try to make us believe that as they are relgious there could not possibly be anything not right in their daycares.

When I did foster care we needed an annual police check plus the not for profit agency we worked for did an annual inspection of our home and home visits on a regular basis. We had basic requirments that most homes do not have, fire escape routes made and posted in the house, fire extinguishers, first aid training and kits etc. And we never had any children as young as daycare age in our home.

All daycares must meet the rules required of all daycare regulations and rules, except for any that pertain to not teaching any religion if it is run as a religious daycare for kids of religious parents. Fires can strick anywhere regardless of if the people in the place are relgious or not,

Old 04-19-2016, 10:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Agree that it puts the church at risk. I do not understand how a church run daycare should be exempt from health and safety requirements of day cares. It smacks to me of some religious people or groups that try to make us believe that as they are relgious there could not possibly be anything not right in their daycares.

When I did foster care we needed an annual police check plus the not for profit agency we worked for did an annual inspection of our home and home visits on a regular basis. We had basic requirments that most homes do not have, fire escape routes made and posted in the house, fire extinguishers, first aid training and kits etc. And we never had any children as young as daycare age in our home.

All daycares must meet the rules required of all daycare regulations and rules, except for any that pertain to not teaching any religion if it is run as a religious daycare for kids of religious parents. Fires can strick anywhere regardless of if the people in the place are relgious or not,
I don't understand, either. Every church I've been a part of has to follow basic laws and regulations in regards to things like that. It could be that maybe they are not being honest about what it is, exactly. Maybe they thought they didn't need to follow the regulations if they were just taking care of members' kids...or maybe they just called it "babysitting" and not really thinking of it as a daycare.

Whether I like it or not, I've seen a tendency among some church folks to think of it as an "us vs. them" mentality -- that the regulations and safety requirements are for "bigger" operations, or for places that serve the public to make money...where they may justify it as a non-profit.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I don't understand, either. Every church I've been a part of has to follow basic laws and regulations in regards to things like that. It could be that maybe they are not being honest about what it is, exactly. Maybe they thought they didn't need to follow the regulations if they were just taking care of members' kids...or maybe they just called it "babysitting" and not really thinking of it as a daycare.

Whether I like it or not, I've seen a tendency among some church folks to think of it as an "us vs. them" mentality -- that the regulations and safety requirements are for "bigger" operations, or for places that serve the public to make money...where they may justify it as a non-profit.

Totally in agreement.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Did I misunderstand? At least in some later cases the daycare center set up AS a church.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Did I misunderstand? At least in some later cases the daycare center set up AS a church.
Nope you did not misunderstand. In the case of her last one, the church does NOT do anything but daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality