Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
is it POSSIBLE that you don't know all the facts?
FUD???

Read the Honor Code, and tell me what she broke, as the RAPE VICTIM. What is the matter with "Christians" so quickly wanting to defend rapists?

Oh yes, I know, it's that old OT thing. "She didn't scream loud enough, so we need to stone her at the gates".

Need a flippin' reference for that? This is RAPE, and all you so called holy rollers are doing nothing but excusing the offender and throwing water on the victim as if she didn't count. Get real people... this is not a game but real victims.

I don't get upset about much, but this is intransigence by "Christians" of the highest order. I get upset and angry that people exist on this board, and obviously out in the real world, who think so little of women and their fellow humans to do nothing but overtly or otherwise dismiss their plight. Does your religion teach you that? Apparently it does, which makes yours no better than the animals teaching the same over on the Muslim side of the Abrahamic groupthink cult.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
FUD???

Read the Honor Code, and tell me what she broke, as the RAPE VICTIM. What is the matter with "Christians" so quickly wanting to defend rapists?

Oh yes, I know, it's that old OT thing. "She didn't scream loud enough, so we need to stone her at the gates".

Need a flippin' reference for that? This is RAPE, and all you so called holy rollers are doing nothing but excusing the offender and throwing water on the victim as if she didn't count. Get real people... this is not a game but real victims.

I don't get upset about much, but this is intransigence by "Christians" of the highest order. I get upset and angry that people exist on this board, and obviously out in the real world, who think so little of women and their fellow humans to do nothing but overtly or otherwise dismiss their plight. Does your religion teach you that? Apparently it does, which makes yours no better than the animals teaching the same over on the Muslim side of the Abrahamic groupthink cult.
I never said any of that. I'm merely asking if there is anything we are not seeing. I have no idea what really happened -- we can read the news story, but we're not part of the situation.

You and other atheists on here routinely discount what the Bible says--telling us that it is a bunch of stories written by men and it may have little to do with truth. If that's the case...then is it possible that MAYBE a news story got something wrong? That maybe they didn't include some info...because, well...it is written by human beings.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
Quote:
I never said any of that. I'm merely asking if there is anything we are not seeing. I have no idea what really happened -- we can read the news story, but we're not part of the situation.

You and other atheists on here routinely discount what the Bible says--telling us that it is a bunch of stories written by men and it may have little to do with truth. If that's the case...then is it possible that MAYBE a news story got something wrong? That maybe they didn't include some info...because, well...it is written by human beings.
What could a rape victim possibly have done to deserve punishment?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What could a rape victim possibly have done to deserve punishment?
Perhaps she's not being punished due to the rape, but for another issue, and it's being reported incorrectly. I have no clue. I'm just asking the question because I cannot conceive of that happening.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Perhaps she's not being punished due to the rape, but for another issue, and it's being reported incorrectly. I have no clue. I'm just asking the question because I cannot conceive of that happening.

A non religious university in Canada, may have been Brock, had the policy to prohibit rape victims from speaking to anyone other than the university or face sanctions such as explusion. I think they have just recently scapped that policy. It could be the same at BYU that the reputation of the institution is more important then what happens to the the victim. I do not see these cases as religious although the old school worldview that the bad things do not happen to good girls is deep in seveal religions. Or perhaps most religions have been run almost soley by men so it may be a sexist thing instead.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:07 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
What the heck is going on in the USA that twice in the past week now leaders of religious communities are blaming victims?

This time, Brigham Young University, the Mormon university in Utah, is discplining a student for reporting a rape to the police, because, get this, breaking the University's 'Honor Code'.

From the article:

Last year, Sophomore Madi Barney, 19, reported an alleged sexual assault to police in Provo, Utah and soon after was told by BYU officials that she had broken the school's honor code.

Barney said she was neither allowed to register the following semester nor drop out of a few classes she had fallen behind in during that semester due to the alleged incident and subsequent investigation.

Please tell me that we are in the 21st Century. Why would BYU re-victimize a rape victim? They held a disciplinary hearing at BYU!

What is going on? This kind of stuff in absolutely inexcusable.

Read the article, as there are few other unbelievable things there, including the Sheriff deputy sending the case file to BYU. Why? Because he was friends with the rapist!

This is wrong on so many levels. Where is the Mormon church in condemning this, and NOW!

BYU student punished for allegedly being raped - UPI.com

Edit:

The Honor Code can be read here. There is nothing that covers this. Hypocrites!

https://policy.byu.edu/view/index.php?p=26
You never did prove in the first instance that a pastor was blaming the rape victim.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You never did prove in the first instance that a pastor was blaming the rape victim.
Jeff, if you didn't hear it, you are being willfully obtuse.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:48 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Jeff, if you didn't hear it, you are being willfully obtuse.
Funny, I never did hear him speak the words, "this girl is to blame for the rape".

Old 04-21-2016, 01:49 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Read the Honor Code, and tell me what she broke, as the RAPE VICTIM.
I don't know specifically what she might have done to violate the Honor Code. In the case of rape, my best guess (and that's all it is) is that it concerned her not dressing "modestly" enough. The Honor Code is really pretty strict in that respect, so it probably wouldn't have taken much to break it. Shorts or a skirt even an inch above the knee or a sleeveless shirt could probably have done it.

Quote:
What is the matter with "Christians" so quickly wanting to defend rapists?
I don't believe anyone is "defending" the rapist here. I do, however, see BYU as trying to implicate the woman as well as the man, and this is what should not have happened. It wasn't her fault she was raped. Period. The end. There has been a lot in the way of student protests concerning this action at BYU, and I'm just glad to see that so many of the students aren't buying into any suggestion that the victim could have done anything to keep what happened to her from happening. My gut feel is that their protests and the media coverage are actually going to accomplish something, and that this is the last time we're going to see something of this sort happen at BYU.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormons don't "hate sex," but they do believe it should only be between married people. Personally, I don't see that as "messed up." On the other hand, there is never a good reason to blame the victim of rape. Regardless of what the girl did, she didn't ask to be raped. The BYU Honor Code should never have been brought into this matter.
And that's fine for a personal conviction. My issue was with how it's applied to others. People who don't think sex between non-married couples or people is bad are often looked down upon, sometimes even seen as bad people, by those who do.

And I'm not saying it's a mormon problem. It exists throughout Christianity, and other religions. Also, I'm sure plenty of Mormons or any other religious group member probably don't care what other people do. Some do though and I have a problem with that. Sex shouldn't be seen in such a negative light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality